Looking for the original Bar Towel blog? You can find it at www.thebartowel.com.

We have a trivia question in order to register to prevent bots. If you have any issues with answering, contact us at cass@bartowel.com for help.

Introducing Light Mode! If you would like a Bar Towel social experience that isn't the traditional blue, you can now select Light Mode. Go to the User Control Panel and then Board Preferences, and select "Day Drinking" (Light Mode) from the My Board Style drop-down menu. You can always switch back to "Night Drinking" (Dark Mode). Enjoy!

US Beer Releases (premier, consumer, vbm)

Discuss beer or anything else that comes to mind in here.

Moderators: Craig, Cass

Belgian
Bar Towel Legend

Post by Belgian »

ckoop wrote:… i've just been keeping an ongoing note on my phone of various brewers' cryptic date codes so i can figure stuff out on my own. that, and just sticking to seasonal ipas have helped me avoid buying any over the hill ipas recently.
When there are a pile of new cases out on the floor and signs shouting 'Le IPA Nouveau est arrivé!' (or some such) that is the best time for fool-proof IPA purchasing, because for the inflated cost and usurious CAD>USD exchange +border retard fees I think nobody likes being fooled!

Seasonal IPA releases it is, then. I think that needs a thread entirely it's own (could include our locals, obviously and duh.)
In Beerum Veritas

boney
Seasoned Drinker

Post by boney »

Belgian wrote:
Seasonal IPA releases it is, then. I think that needs a thread entirely it's own (could include our locals, obviously and duh.)
That's a phenomenal idea. I know there are a few new release threads in other US sites that you can reference and Ontario Beer Network new on shelves. However, a centralized Ont/Que/NY/Mich/?Verm/?Mass IPA thread would be awesome.

sprague11
Seasoned Drinker

Post by sprague11 »

Not a bad idea. Right now the only thing at Premier I would vouch for as being fresh is the Stone enjoy By and the Grapefruit Sculpin.
"A good light beer is one that doesn't taste like piss!" - Frank d'Angelo

TheBeeraholic
Bar Fly

Post by TheBeeraholic »

sprague11 wrote:Not a bad idea. Right now the only thing at Premier I would vouch for as being fresh is the Stone enjoy By and the Grapefruit Sculpin.
Yeah had both these in my cart Saturday. Brother was with me who's only 21 although I walked up with the cart, had put every single bottle in myself they would not sell me anything. Even after leaving having him go sit in truck and coming back in re loading up another cart. I was pretty pissed.

EDIT: 20 not 21 for another month. He'd been with me several times in the past 6 months while picking up trades and packages at CBI which was even more frustrating as they claim they've always had this policy. Just frustrating.
Last edited by TheBeeraholic on Tue Apr 21, 2015 4:08 pm, edited 1 time in total.

Kish84
Bar Fly

Post by Kish84 »

TheBeeraholic wrote:Brother was with me who's only 21
I thought 21 is the age there. :-?
"There's always money in the banana stand."

Ale's What Cures Ya
Seasoned Drinker

Post by Ale's What Cures Ya »

Kish84 wrote:
TheBeeraholic wrote:Brother was with me who's only 21
I thought 21 is the age there. :-?
It is.

TheSevenDuffs
Beer Superstar

Post by TheSevenDuffs »

TheBeeraholic wrote:
sprague11 wrote:Not a bad idea. Right now the only thing at Premier I would vouch for as being fresh is the Stone enjoy By and the Grapefruit Sculpin.
Yeah had both these in my cart Saturday. Brother was with me who's only 21 although I walked up with the cart, had put every single bottle in myself they would not sell me anything. Even after leaving having him go sit in truck and coming back in re loading up another cart. I was pretty pissed.

EDIT: 20 not 21 for another month. He'd been with me several times in the past 6 months while picking up trades and packages at CBI which was even more frustrating as they claim they've always had this policy. Just frustrating.
That sucks man, but it is a fairly common policy in many states. I have often had every person in group carded, but luckily never had anyone underage with me.

sprague11
Seasoned Drinker

Post by sprague11 »

Was there today - My wife met me at the counter and we both ended up getting ID'd. No big deal and my wife took it as a compliment.

FWIW some of those Crooked Staves that sold out a couple weeks back have been restocked, as has the Perennial 17.
"A good light beer is one that doesn't taste like piss!" - Frank d'Angelo

TheBeeraholic
Bar Fly

Post by TheBeeraholic »

Heading over Saturday again - hopefully they're still there...

TheSevenDuffs
Beer Superstar

Post by TheSevenDuffs »

TheBeeraholic wrote:Heading over Saturday again - hopefully they're still there...
They just tweeted that some fresh Sucks arrived!

I was there this past Saturday and they had a few other interesting ones like Green Flash Silva Stout, 3F Intense Red and two different barrel aged Great Divide beers (Hibernation and Ruffian).

Weebay

Post by Weebay »

TheSevenDuffs wrote:
TheBeeraholic wrote:Heading over Saturday again - hopefully they're still there...
They just tweeted that some fresh Sucks arrived!

I was there this past Saturday and they had a few other interesting ones like Green Flash Silva Stout, 3F Intense Red and two different barrel aged Great Divide beers (Hibernation and Ruffian).
Did they have these on the shelf or did you have to give the password to the guy at the growler station?

Craig
Seasoned Drinker

Post by Craig »

I'm heading up this weekend. Anything in particular I ought to be looking for?

boney
Seasoned Drinker

Post by boney »

I have the week off, so I went down today. Very quiet on the shelves right now.

On the counter at Premiere were Evil Twin-Beavertown XXX Mild, Evil Twin Mission Gose and Stillwater The Devil Is People smoked sour wheat.

Most places had lots of Evil Twin Imperial Biscotti Break back in stock. Aside from the latest Enjoy By, there were definitely not many new proper hoppy beers out. Everyone still seems to be bringing out their session IPA's and hoppy wheats for the summer.

Other than those, not much to write, or post, home about, unfortunately.

TheSevenDuffs
Beer Superstar

Post by TheSevenDuffs »

For anyone who is more fortunate than me and can get to Buffalo today (or tomorrow):

Beer Manager ‏@PremierBeer 15m15 minutes ago
Just tapped: @WestbrookBeer Mexican Cake!

Belgian
Bar Towel Legend

Post by Belgian »

Seems like a pretty good time to bring back some inexpensive vodka!

Edit - or I might go Sunday... * update * Coles and BM had nice draught lists!

The border guy did not like that I brought alcohol back after one day, and said 'Why did you do that?' - as though I needed a reason.

I assumed (correctly) he was bullying me about the 48 hour personal exemption, but it's irrelevant - you can still bring back alcohol any time you like if you are willing to pay duties. LOTS more than one crappy bottle of Russian Vodka.

I am appalled a border official is miseducating travelers apparently to make his job easier. Yes we get it, duties are a pain to calculate, thank your employer. But since he was letting me go with my 750 of vodka (gee thanks) I saw no point taking sense to him.

He is spreading a myth, when he should be saying no different than the laws.

You can bring back 45 litres of any alcohol, any time, no minimum stay required. They would probably love if you couldn't, and this is part of the fun! (Just budget in case they charge.)
In Beerum Veritas