Looking for the original Bar Towel blog? You can find it at www.thebartowel.com.

We have a trivia question in order to register to prevent bots. If you have any issues with answering, contact us at cass@bartowel.com for help.

Introducing Light Mode! If you would like a Bar Towel social experience that isn't the traditional blue, you can now select Light Mode. Go to the User Control Panel and then Board Preferences, and select "Day Drinking" (Light Mode) from the My Board Style drop-down menu. You can always switch back to "Night Drinking" (Dark Mode). Enjoy!

US Beer Releases (premier, consumer, vbm)

Discuss beer or anything else that comes to mind in here.

Moderators: Craig, Cass

sprague11
Seasoned Drinker

Post by sprague11 »

I've been searched my last couple times at Lewiston for only being away a couple hours (Mostly to pick up CBI packages). Haven't paid a cent of duty/taxes however since the winter, and my bottle of Marshall Zhukov got a big laugh from one of the border guards.
"A good light beer is one that doesn't taste like piss!" - Frank d'Angelo

Belgian
Bar Towel Legend

Post by Belgian »

sprague11 wrote:I've been searched my last couple times at Lewiston for only being away a couple hours (Mostly to pick up CBI packages). Haven't paid a cent of duty/taxes however since the winter, and my bottle of Marshal Zhukov got a big laugh from one of the border guards.
That is a cool-looking bottle!

Yes, there is no regulation I ever heard about being away two hours VS eight hours VS twelve. It must be some security flag for them but then why should it be, you barely had time to buy the beers you declared, let alone do anything of real concern to them.

I suppose it irritates some of them we can so casually bypass the LCBO. Not our problem… and who cares if they charge duties or not? Paying 30% extra every three trips or might work out to an average of 10% for all the beer you buy, and for this you get great access to beer while having some fun.

I also tend to buy a few groceries & household supplies to make the alcohol seem more incidental. Works wonders, you blend right in with the day travelers bringing back a 24 of Milwaukee's Best. I also enjoy Buffalo, great place and a ton of really nice people who are easy to talk to.
Last edited by Belgian on Mon Jun 22, 2015 4:56 pm, edited 1 time in total.
In Beerum Veritas

DeMarco

Post by DeMarco »

Belgian wrote:
sprague11 wrote:I've been searched my last couple times at Lewiston for only being away a couple hours (Mostly to pick up CBI packages). Haven't paid a cent of duty/taxes however since the winter, and my bottle of Marshal Zhukov got a big laugh from one of the border guards.
That is a cool looking bottle!

Yes, there is no regulation I ever heard about being away two hours VS eight hours VS twelve. It must be some security flag for them but then why should it be, you barely had time to buy the beers you declared, let alone do anything of real concern to them.

I suppose it irritates some of them we can so casually bypass the LCBO. Not our problem… and who cares if they charge duties or not? Paying 30% extra every three trips or might work out to an average of 10% for all the beer you buy, and for this you get great access to beer while having some fun.

I also tend to buy a few groceries & household supplies to make the alcohol seem more incidental. Works wonders, you blend right in with the day travelers bringing back a 24 of Milwaukee's Best. I also enjoy Buffalo, great place and a ton of really nice people who are easy to talk to.
I like your outlook. I've personally written down what I should be charged for the next time I do a day run. I was screwed over by being overcharged which has made me a little bitter about doing day trips, so I just spend the two nights with friends and drink delicious american beers.

sprague11
Seasoned Drinker

Post by sprague11 »

Usually buy some groceries to go with the booze - Milk and whatever.

One of my last trips I got waved across with 2 bottles of wine and 15 beer after a 4 hour trip. With a female border guard at Queenston to boot!

Belgian
Bar Towel Legend

Post by Belgian »

sprague11 wrote:Usually buy some groceries to go with the booze - Milk and whatever.

One of my last trips I got waved across with 2 bottles of wine and 15 beer after a 4 hour trip. With a female border guard at Queenston to boot!
Wow that's almost double the 48 hour tax exemption limit (1.5 litres wine OR 1.14 litres of spirits OR a 24 of beer (up to 8.5 litres.)

The 45 litre 'personal use' limit notwithstanding.
In Beerum Veritas

napoleon

Post by napoleon »

Belgian wrote:
sprague11 wrote:Usually buy some groceries to go with the booze - Milk and whatever.

Wow that's almost double the 48 hour tax exemption limit (1.5 litres wine OR 1.14 litres of spirits OR a 24 of beer (up to 8.5 litres.)

The 45 litre 'personal use' limit notwithstanding.
You got lucky….that's way more than the limit. I never know exactly how they'll calculate duty, and I don't think they've ever really done it right.

I had a friend get waved through with well over 100 bottles of beer per person as the border was super backed up once.

Belgian
Bar Towel Legend

Post by Belgian »

napoleon wrote:
sprague11 wrote:… 2 bottles of wine and 15 beer after a 4 hour trip.
You got lucky….that's way more than the limit. I never know exactly how they'll calculate duty, and I don't think they've ever really done it right.
Not really over the limit, you can bring 45 litres back, any time. There are guidelines you can print or bookmark to estimate your border costs.

Ontario Provincial Border Levies
Casual Importations
(5 cases (45 litres) or less)

^ assumes five 12 packs of 750mls., or five 24-packs of regular-sized beer bottles. Five whole cases!!!

Note that the allowed SIXTY 750ml BOTTLES can even be 45 litres of spirits (!) but there is a substantially higher cost of border levies. I think for wine and beer it's pretty cost-efficient. I plan to post about a big haul next time I'm up to it… I will record the interaction with border officials, some of whom are very decent people but, gosh BO's can say the darndest things!
In Beerum Veritas

napoleon

Post by napoleon »

Belgian wrote: You got lucky….that's way more than the limit. I never know exactly how they'll calculate duty, and I don't think they've ever really done it right.
Not really over the limit, you can bring 45 litres back, any time.[/quote]
Sorry should have said "duty free limit". I realize that doesn't even apply until after 48 hours. It's lucky we're not Quebec. You technically are supposed to have some SAQ authorization to bring back anything if you've been gone less than 48 hours.

Belgian
Bar Towel Legend

Post by Belgian »

Stone beer question - anyone know where & when to reliably buy fresh Stone IPA in Buffalo / 24x ?

Would like an idea of the cost, and of course a way to know that it's fresh. Thanks so much!
In Beerum Veritas

sprague11
Seasoned Drinker

Post by sprague11 »

I was more surprised that a female border guard waved me through. Not to sound sexist, but usually the guys wave me through and the females send me in to pay.

Re Fresh stone - Village Beer or Premier - even there i'd ask or check bottle dates before I bought.

Belgian
Bar Towel Legend

Post by Belgian »

sprague11 wrote:Re Fresh stone - Village Beer or Premier - even there i'd ask or check bottle dates before I bought.
Yeah, so no time of year it's likely to be better, or a way to know?

I might be mixing this up with the 'seasonal' IPAs that are popular.
In Beerum Veritas

sprague11
Seasoned Drinker

Post by sprague11 »

Doesn't seem to be any real rhyme or reason. Stock at these 2 seems to turn over quicker than the consumers locations, or they knowingly seem to refresh stock more often. Have never had a bad Stone from either.

I'd say sticking to the seasonal stuff is the way to go. Only IPA I'd vouch for 100% being fresh at either would be the Enjoy By's, Lunch, Grapefruit Sculpin and Double Jack mainly because they move quick quickly.

ckoop

Post by ckoop »

Made a run to premier this afternoon even though I wasn't sure there'd be much fresh stuff since we are sort of in a seasonal dead zone for seasonal ipas, but i wanted to grab sixpoint 4 beans that dropped there today. lots of great stuff on the shelf if you're heading there this weekend:

- cases and cases of 4beans
- prairie bomb is now a shelf beer (so don't look for it at the counter, it's near the colorado area), along with praire ok-i (whiskey aged brown ale)
- cases of brunch weasel
- anchorage galaxy, mosaic saison, and calabaza boreal.
- 4 packs of pumking are out now because it's of course august.

But check those freshness dates carefully! Saw 6 month old sculpin, dirt wolf, and hop hunter among many other dusty bottles mixed in with fresh bottles. especially if you make your own 6 pack, the singles were the worst for that. i feel like i'm getting close to be done shopping at premier due to the really hit and miss freshness of their ipas, but their selection and location is tough to argue with.

Napalm Frog

Post by Napalm Frog »

ckoop wrote:But check those freshness dates carefully! Saw 6 month old sculpin, dirt wolf, and hop hunter among many other dusty bottles mixed in with fresh bottles. especially if you make your own 6 pack, the singles were the worst for that. i feel like i'm getting close to be done shopping at premier due to the really hit and miss freshness of their ipas, but their selection and location is tough to argue with.
Made my first run to Premier (second in the US ever) this past weekend, and found the same. I was in "beer heaven" mode and ignored dates while I grabbed singles off the shelf. Back home, found out some of my IPAs (eg, Space Dust) were 6+ months old. Extremely disappointing, but I've learnt a hard lesson about singles. Gonna have to make up more excuses to go down more often for some of these releases.

biegaman
Bar Fly

Post by biegaman »

All the shops in Buffalo are notorious for selling old code. Not to beat a dead horse but you do really need to be vigilant. I've gotten burned many times. It's best to assume it's not fresh (more likely than not it isn't). I try not to buy anything hoppy there now unless there's a 'bottled on' or 'best before'. I was there a few weeks ago and found *local* stuff that was well over a year old (and we're not talking styles that should be aged).