Looking for the original Bar Towel blog? You can find it at www.thebartowel.com.

We have a trivia question in order to register to prevent bots. If you have any issues with answering, contact us at cass@bartowel.com for help.

Introducing Light Mode! If you would like a Bar Towel social experience that isn't the traditional blue, you can now select Light Mode. Go to the User Control Panel and then Board Preferences, and select "Day Drinking" (Light Mode) from the My Board Style drop-down menu. You can always switch back to "Night Drinking" (Dark Mode). Enjoy!

Rob Creighton leaving Grand River Brewing

Discuss beer or anything else that comes to mind in here.

Moderators: Craig, Cass

GregClow
Beer Superstar

Rob Creighton leaving Grand River Brewing

Post by GregClow »

From GRB's Facebook page:
After 8 years with Grand River Brewing our brewer, Rob Creighton will be venturing forth to explore new possibilities in the craft beer industry. He was paramount in getting Grand River Brewing off the ground with the creation of our flagship beers as well as all our seasonals along the way. His mastery of brewing has led us to many awards in the industry. Thank you, Rob!

We are pleased to welcome Peter Collins into the brewhouse to fulfill the brewing duties at GRB. Peter has been with us in many roles over the last six years including assistant brewer.

While this is a big change for us at GRB, rest assured that the quality and consistency you have come to expect from us will continue in the future.
Any clues on where you're heading, Rob? :wink:

Belgian
Bar Towel Legend

Post by Belgian »

Hope there are good things ahead for Rob, and Peter as well. So are the owners thinking of getting out?
In Beerum Veritas

instantkamera

Post by instantkamera »

This could be good.

Call me one of those "jaded" BTers, but GRB and my palate have diverged more and more over the last few years. Can I hope for a rejuvenation/new direction, or is that wishful thinking?

Scottatron

Post by Scottatron »

Good luck to Rob and congrats to Peter. Peter makes great beer so looking forward to any new brews coming out of GRB.

matt7215
Beer Superstar

Post by matt7215 »

Congrats to Peter! Awesome news for him

This is a big shake up for GRB, I wonder how much things will change

midlife crisis
Beer Superstar

Post by midlife crisis »

Good luck, Rob! I've really enjoyed your work over the years at GRB. Hope we hear from you again soon.

mahcinesquad

Post by mahcinesquad »

Congrats to Peter - I've liked every homebrew of his I've had so I'm sure he'll do great.

Good luck to Rob, too.

ErkLR

Post by ErkLR »

Good luck Rob, I've enjoyed a lot of the beers you've made.

Belgian
Bar Towel Legend

Post by Belgian »

instantkamera wrote:Call me one of those "jaded" BTers, but GRB and my palate have diverged more and more over the last few years.
Maybe not just your palate, GRB has made some of the best lagers and ales I've tried, and yet some recent bottlings / brands have been disappointing. Eg. Tailgate lager was for me alarming and not necessary for Grand River given their excellent Galt Knife and others. Tailgate is definitely NOT Rob C's doing, and I gather his departure as a brewmaster is not necessarily 'good' or a 'rejuvenation/new thinking.'

Still optimistic that the Mill Race Mild and other classics will continue to deliver. The face of craft brewing is changing so rapidly and I'd like to see GR at least abide by its very traditional strengths.

Always appreciate everything you do, Rob. Cheers & thanks.
In Beerum Veritas

Derek
Beer Superstar

Post by Derek »

It seemed like Rob & Bob may have had slightly different tastes, but they worked very well together, making flavourful brews that also seemed to have mass appeal (at least in the craft world).

Hopefully they both continue to do great things!