Looking for the original Bar Towel blog? You can find it at www.thebartowel.com.

We have a trivia question in order to register to prevent bots. If you have any issues with answering, contact us at cass@bartowel.com for help.

Introducing Light Mode! If you would like a Bar Towel social experience that isn't the traditional blue, you can now select Light Mode. Go to the User Control Panel and then Board Preferences, and select "Day Drinking" (Light Mode) from the My Board Style drop-down menu. You can always switch back to "Night Drinking" (Dark Mode). Enjoy!

Forum Upgrade Time!

Discuss beer or anything else that comes to mind in here.

Moderators: Craig, Cass

lister
Beer Superstar

Post by lister »

S. St. Jeb wrote:
Cass wrote:I have a feeling there will be some fondness for the retro blue even though I've taken years of grief for it.
LOL, to each their own. I like the blue.
I like the blue too.
lister

Cass
Beer Superstar

Post by Cass »

Well, as mentioned the forum is still going to be (mostly) blue.

The database upgrades should begin on Saturday night / Sunday morning so there will be some downtime. Hopefully done by the end of the weekend.

El Pinguino
Seasoned Drinker

Post by El Pinguino »

New home page is looking great.....as someone who has been working to get a website updated for 13 months now, I know it is a crazy process....!

Chris

Post by Chris »

Downtime!

It looks like a nuclear fallout or zombie apocalypse warning...But consider yourselves warned ;)

icemachine
Beer Superstar

Post by icemachine »

Another vote for the blue (or I just hate changes, not sure which at this point)

Thanks for all the electrons either way!
"Everything ... is happening" - Bob Cole

Cass
Beer Superstar

Post by Cass »

icemachine wrote:Another vote for the blue (or I just hate changes, not sure which at this point)

Thanks for all the electrons either way!
You can scroll back in this thread and see a screenshot of the new site. It's close to the same, the background is a bit more grey but the overall look is still light on dark.

This software is not super easy to customize the look and feel but when we get it up and running we'll try to tweak to match as much as possible.

Cadbury102

Post by Cadbury102 »

I think this looks great. Excellent work, Cass!

G.M. Gillman
Seasoned Drinker

Post by G.M. Gillman »

Superb new format, stylish and elegant. Love the royal blue - a great success.

Gary
Gary Gillman

matt7215
Beer Superstar

Post by matt7215 »

Really like the new look

Also nice to have BT forums back online

Cheers!

skootles

Post by skootles »

It'll take some getting used to but I like it so far!

My only suggestion is to add url redirects to keep old links to forum posts working. For example this old url just redirects to the forum index. This is the link modified to work with the new forum.

Doesn't seem too tricky, looks like you just need a couple wildcards to change /board/ to /forum/ and to change # to #p

Cass
Beer Superstar

Post by Cass »

skootles wrote:It'll take some getting used to but I like it so far!

My only suggestion is to add url redirects to keep old links to forum posts working. For example this old url just redirects to the forum index. This is the link modified to work with the new forum.

Doesn't seem too tricky, looks like you just need a couple wildcards to change /board/ to /forum/ and to change # to #p
Thanks - trying to make that work!

JerCraigs
Beer Superstar

Post by JerCraigs »

I like the new mosaic tile at the top and bottom. Not a fan of the orange text on links and the bright red text for "Cass". (Is that the forum or my Firefox settings?)

Also the icons indicating if forums have been read are weird IMHO . Can they be changed? I made custom icons for a different forum that were full pints and empty pints that worked well.

My two cents for now :)

lister
Beer Superstar

Post by lister »

JerCraigs wrote:I like the new mosaic tile at the top and bottom. Not a fan of the orange text on links and the bright red text for "Cass". (Is that the forum or my Firefox settings?)

Also the icons indicating if forums have been read are weird IMHO . Can they be changed? I made custom icons for a different forum that were full pints and empty pints that worked well.
Cass is red for me too in Chrome. Doesn't really matter to me.

Yeah the forum read icons are odd.

Otherwise looking good so far. Colour scheme is pretty close to the previous one, it works.
lister

Cass
Beer Superstar

Post by Cass »

Cass is red because I'm an administrator. Certainly not trying to draw attention to myself :)

Agree the icons on the home page are odd, they're the default ones. Like the old one I added some custom icons over time, will do the same here.

Belgian
Bar Towel Legend

Post by Belgian »

Looks nice, although I find the text to background contrast less easy to read than before (perhaps the letters are not as bright or is it the kerning and font?) but I like that we're still in Trog Mode. So retro! 8)

And I can see the text auto-correction works. What will they invent next haha.
In Beerum Veritas