Looking for the original Bar Towel blog? You can find it at www.thebartowel.com.

We have a trivia question in order to register to prevent bots. If you have any issues with answering, contact us at cass@bartowel.com for help.

Introducing Light Mode! If you would like a Bar Towel social experience that isn't the traditional blue, you can now select Light Mode. Go to the User Control Panel and then Board Preferences, and select "Day Drinking" (Light Mode) from the My Board Style drop-down menu. You can always switch back to "Night Drinking" (Dark Mode). Enjoy!

F&M was sold, and are no longer F&M

Discuss beer or anything else that comes to mind in here.

Moderators: Craig, Cass

Kish84
Bar Fly

F&M was sold, and are no longer F&M

Post by Kish84 »

With new owners, they are getting a "new" name...StoneHammer Brewing.

Here's the article.
"The new owners seem to be more into the craft independent scene and doing some interesting things, so I think we'll see a lot more interesting stuff from them in the next couple of months"
This part sounds promising. I had heard in the past that the old owners didn't allow the brewers to brew too much outside of their core brands.
"There's always money in the banana stand."

midlife crisis
Beer Superstar

Post by midlife crisis »

Sounds promising. The Pilsner can be very good -- underrated IMO -- but the rest of the lineup is a bit tired. I hope the ownership can breathe some new life into this brewery. They have a very good brewer, which is the main thing. All IMO, of course -- I realize there are some on here who are very familiar with F&M / Stonehammer.

MatttthewGeorge
Bar Fly

Post by MatttthewGeorge »

I've always felt Stoney D is the star of their line up. Not a sexy style of beer, but on draught it is delicious.
untappd/instacrap/facebitch/snapitychat/etc: @matttthewgeorge

midlife crisis
Beer Superstar

Post by midlife crisis »

I'll give it a try. Is it comparable to Left Field Eephus Pitch, for example? Love that beer.

MatttthewGeorge
Bar Fly

Post by MatttthewGeorge »

Haven't had the LF in a while, but I'd say no. Stoney D is mild, subtle, malty without being roasty, a touch of sweetness without being coying.
untappd/instacrap/facebitch/snapitychat/etc: @matttthewgeorge

Belgian
Bar Towel Legend

Post by Belgian »

I agree with the general thoughts above, and I sort of think F&M/Stonehammer is the sort of brewery I will go to when I retire from all this tomfoolery of novel craft beers ;-)!

But have been wrong before.
In Beerum Veritas

distr0

Post by distr0 »

S. St. Jeb
Seasoned Drinker

Post by S. St. Jeb »

darmokandjalad

Post by darmokandjalad »

I don't like to see small businesses close but I'm also not exactly surprised. Even after the ownership change they seemed to keep doing the same things they had always been doing. They made an oatmeal (coffee?) stout that was solid, and their dark ale was fine I guess. Nothing else really comes to mind. EDIT: Oh wait, they did a Baltic Porter that was pretty good too, but I only ever saw it once.

With F&M closed, Guelph still has 1 brewery per 26K people (and two of them are Sleeman and Wellington, which are sorta big by this province's standards). Elora is also nearby.

Lack of innovation was a big problem imo, but market saturation didn't help much either. F&M was also located way off in an industrial park that probably had nearly zero walk-through traffic. I think the Guelph (and to a lesser extent, the KWC) area is getting pretty close to the maximum number of breweries it can reasonably support.

kfbass

Post by kfbass »

Sleeman makes 1.5 million barrels per year. They are one of the biggest breweries in the country. Bigger than founders, and about the same size as Sierra Nevada. They are also putting in a taproom soon, and renovating their entire retail space to make it more of a destination than a beer store.

But I digress. You are probably going to see several more breweries pop up in the tri-cities and Guelph area. I can think of three off the top of my head that have buildings and have begun renovations. The trend is going smaller, taproom only sales, and being more Niche focused.