Looking for the original Bar Towel blog? You can find it at www.thebartowel.com.

We have a trivia question in order to register to prevent bots. If you have any issues with answering, contact us at cass@bartowel.com for help.

Introducing Light Mode! If you would like a Bar Towel social experience that isn't the traditional blue, you can now select Light Mode. Go to the User Control Panel and then Board Preferences, and select "Day Drinking" (Light Mode) from the My Board Style drop-down menu. You can always switch back to "Night Drinking" (Dark Mode). Enjoy!

Guinness gone fancy: Irish brand introduces a $35 beer

Discuss beer or anything else that comes to mind in here.

Moderators: Craig, Cass

spinrsx
Beer Superstar

Guinness gone fancy: Irish brand introduces a $35 beer

Post by spinrsx »

Craig
Seasoned Drinker

Post by Craig »

A 9% amber ale? So...a barley wine?

G.M. Gillman
Seasoned Drinker

Post by G.M. Gillman »

Frankly, this new release leaves me cold, in that in Ontario, we have seen exactly one new Guinness release in recent years: the Black Lager. The newish bottled West Indies Porter and Dubin Porter, the Guinness FES, the Guinness Special Export Stout - nowhere to be seen. (Perhaps the American Blonde Lager is an understandable exception).

I find it really sad, as well, that Guinness has not re-introduced (anywhere, AFAIK) naturally-conditioned stout despite all the changes in the beer scene since the regrettable discontinuation of unfiltered and unpasteurized Guinness Extra Stout some 15 years ago or more.

Guinness is just not on my radar until some of this is remedied.

Gary
Gary Gillman

Derek
Beer Superstar

Post by Derek »

Well said Gary!

They're the original macro... I haven't had the FES for a while, but it use to be really good. Otherwise, there a far better options. I use to order a draught every year or so, whenever there were few options, but don't even remember the last time I resorted to that.

Bobsy
Beer Superstar

Post by Bobsy »

Derek wrote:Well said Gary!

They're the original macro... I haven't had the FES for a while, but it use to be really good. Otherwise, there a far better options. I use to order a draught every year or so, whenever there were few options, but don't even remember the last time I resorted to that.
I'll third the FES. I remember seeking it out when it rated highly in one of the BA categories and it didn't disappoint. Unlike regular Guinness, which is just crap. I'm still shocked when I hear people describe Guinness as filling - I just find it such a light and empty stout. A shell of a beer more than anything.

MatttthewGeorge
Bar Fly

Post by MatttthewGeorge »

The last time I had Guinness I dropped a shot of espresso in it, and it was fabulous. I call it a "Black Eye" (*TM Matthew George)
I used to sell beer. Now I don't.

Belgian
Bar Towel Legend

Post by Belgian »

+4 Bobsy, the FES was one rare super-good beer discovery in the Caribbean. Guinness must see zero market to sell it here, but is there not a varied immigrant consumer base that would support it?
Wikipedia wrote:Originally a bottle conditioned beer, FES has been pasteurised to ensure quality consistency since 1948.[8] Since 1950, in an attempt to recreate the flavour profile of bottle conditioned FES, the beer has been produced by blending fresh FES with 2 per cent FES that has been aged for up to 100 days, which has developed a high lactic acid content.[8] Finally, the beer is allowed to mature in the bottle for 28 days before being sent out for distribution.[26]
In Beerum Veritas

G.M. Gillman
Seasoned Drinker

Post by G.M. Gillman »

Belgian wrote:+4 Bobsy, the FES was one rare super-good beer discovery in the Caribbean. Guinness must see zero market to sell it here, but is there not a varied immigrant consumer base that would support it?
Wikipedia wrote:Originally a bottle conditioned beer, FES has been pasteurised to ensure quality consistency since 1948.[8] Since 1950, in an attempt to recreate the flavour profile of bottle conditioned FES, the beer has been produced by blending fresh FES with 2 per cent FES that has been aged for up to 100 days, which has developed a high lactic acid content.[8] Finally, the beer is allowed to mature in the bottle for 28 days before being sent out for distribution.[26]
Regarding if FES would find a sale here, maybe yes or no but it would be a gesture to people who care about beer. Quality beer. It would acknowledge their history and roots. Have they forgotten what that is and means..?

Gary
Gary Gillman

Derek
Beer Superstar

Post by Derek »

Quite some time ago (I'm thinking maybe 7 years ago?), and I'm not sure where (might've been discussed here?), they stated that they wouldn't bring the FES here because it would cause confusion with their consumers.

Belgian
Bar Towel Legend

Post by Belgian »

Derek wrote:Quite some time ago (I'm thinking maybe 7 years ago?), and I'm not sure where (might've been discussed here?), they stated that they wouldn't bring the FES here because it would cause confusion with their consumers.
Now Derek I know you would not really buy that would ya?

The name and label would set FES apart, and there are plenty of popular legends telling of different or maybe better versions of Guinness available elsewhere. I call BS on their reason, FES would not interfere with Guinness Draught consumers enjoyment of that popular version which is no doubt far cheaper to produce and a big cash cow Guinness does not wish to mess with.
In Beerum Veritas

Belgian
Bar Towel Legend

Post by Belgian »

Derek wrote:Quite some time ago (I'm thinking maybe 7 years ago?), and I'm not sure where (might've been discussed here?), they stated that they wouldn't bring the FES here because it would cause confusion with their consumers.
Now Derek I know you would not really buy that would ya?

The name and label would set FES apart, and there are plenty of popular legends telling of different or maybe better versions of Guinness available elsewhere. I call BS on their reason, FES would not interfere with Guinness Draught consumers enjoyment of that popular version which is no doubt far cheaper to produce and a big cash cow Guinness does not wish to mess with.
In Beerum Veritas

Derek
Beer Superstar

Post by Derek »

Well, they do already have the Export stout here... But I'll decline to comment on the intelligence of their consumers. 8)

on edit, it's actually Extra stout that's brewed in Ontario, but we don't even get that in BC
Last edited by Derek on Thu Mar 12, 2015 1:15 pm, edited 1 time in total.

Belgian
Bar Towel Legend

Post by Belgian »

G.M. Gillman wrote:Regarding if FES would find a sale here, maybe yes or no but it would be a gesture to people who care about beer. Quality beer. It would acknowledge their history and roots. Have they forgotten what that is and means..
Well Guinness FES is pretty much the most "ancient" recipe they still have. They could make the brand look different enough so that it and regular Guinness would not be confused in our market. It is unfortunate that Guinness has become so successful at being bland.
In Beerum Veritas

G.M. Gillman
Seasoned Drinker

Post by G.M. Gillman »

On the point of FES here and its perception in the market, it has been nationally distributed in the States for years now... And it seems it is in B.C. too now if I read Derek's comment right.

We already have various forms of Guinness here: draft, shaped widget bottle, widget can, Black Lager, and hard glass bottle version brewed locally.

One more can't hurt and I think it would be the opposite, it would create renewed interest in the regular forms of Guinness and support the brand, not take away from it.

Gary
Last edited by G.M. Gillman on Wed Mar 11, 2015 1:03 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Gary Gillman

El Pinguino
Seasoned Drinker

Post by El Pinguino »

I saw Guinness Foreign Export Stout listed on a menu at a bar on College St last year...was happily surprised...ordered it. Got the regular old boring Guinness. Tried to explain the difference / wrong listing...but it wasn't a beer bar so they were clueless.