Dark Lord Day 2015

Discuss beer or anything else that comes to mind in here.

Moderators: GregClow, Cass

ckoop
Posts: 159
Joined: Wed Feb 05, 2014 8:09 am
Location: Niagara Falls

Dark Lord Day 2015

Postby ckoop » Sat Mar 14, 2015 1:57 pm

Anyone else heading to dld this year? My friends and I got group a tickets this year so we are back on it this year. I can't wait for the bottle shares in line, I've been saving some good stuff to hopefully share with the uninitiated like I was last year. I just hope it runs as smooth as last year, with minimal waiting except for the guest taps.

It looks like my plan might be the same as last year, stay in Chicago and take the lansman bus in that I booked through BA.
Bull_Schott
Posts: 20
Joined: Wed Dec 05, 2012 1:23 am

Postby Bull_Schott » Sat Mar 14, 2015 5:22 pm

We'll be making it out again this year, snagged a pair of group A so I imagine my afternoon nap will come even earlier this year. It was a riot last year, and everyone really thought the BNL Choc Stout I brought was amazing, which gave me some pride as the beers being poured alongside it were heavyweights. We parked nearby and will likely do the same this year.
User avatar
Ale's What Cures Ya
Seasoned Drinker
Posts: 1198
Joined: Tue Apr 18, 2006 11:56 am
Location: The Thirsty Dog

Postby Ale's What Cures Ya » Sat Mar 14, 2015 6:17 pm

Got tickets this year for the first time ever after trying for years, got a hotel that's about 10 minutes away from the brewery booked as well.

Not sure what I should do about bottle sharing though. I don't have anything worthwhile to share.
ckoop
Posts: 159
Joined: Wed Feb 05, 2014 8:09 am
Location: Niagara Falls

Postby ckoop » Sat Mar 14, 2015 6:54 pm

Ale's What Cures Ya wrote:Got tickets this year for the first time ever after trying for years, got a hotel that's about 10 minutes away from the brewery booked as well.

Not sure what I should do about bottle sharing though. I don't have anything worthwhile to share.


Honestly, most of the stuff that is shared is just nice local stuff. Grab some Bellwoods, nicklebrook immodest or malevolent, or some Great Lakes robohop/karma citra and people will be stoked.

My earlier comment was just regarding how pumped I was getting to try stuff like Black Tuesday, BA speedway, and tired hands stuff just from people walking around offering pours and wanting to pass that on to people around me this year. Last year all I had was malevolent, immodest and some 5 paddles and people that I shared it with seemed legitimately impressed with the stuff. It's generally a low key vibe of people excited about beer and excited to try new stuff, not tick whales.
User avatar
Ale's What Cures Ya
Seasoned Drinker
Posts: 1198
Joined: Tue Apr 18, 2006 11:56 am
Location: The Thirsty Dog

Postby Ale's What Cures Ya » Sat Mar 14, 2015 7:20 pm

ckoop wrote:
Honestly, most of the stuff that is shared is just nice local stuff. Grab some Bellwoods, nicklebrook immodest or malevolent, or some Great Lakes robohop/karma citra and people will be stoked.

My earlier comment was just regarding how pumped I was getting to try stuff like Black Tuesday, BA speedway, and tired hands stuff just from people walking around offering pours and wanting to pass that on to people around me this year. Last year all I had was malevolent, immodest and some 5 paddles and people that I shared it with seemed legitimately impressed with the stuff. It's generally a low key vibe of people excited about beer and excited to try new stuff, not tick whales.


I might have some aged stuff in the cellar. A 2006 Fuller's Vintage Ale, maybe a few 2008 or 2009 Peche Mortels.

I just don't want to show up with a handful of half-rate Ontario beer and be embarrassed when some guy pours some Heady Topper or something lol.
S. St. Jeb
Bar Fly
Posts: 700
Joined: Tue Mar 22, 2011 10:44 pm
Location: Burlington, ON

Postby S. St. Jeb » Sat Mar 14, 2015 9:52 pm

Ale's What Cures Ya wrote:
ckoop wrote:Honestly, most of the stuff that is shared is just nice local stuff. Grab some Bellwoods, nicklebrook immodest or malevolent, or some Great Lakes robohop/karma citra and people will be stoked.


I just don't want to show up with a handful of half-rate Ontario beer and be embarrassed when some guy pours some Heady Topper or something lol.


Yah, God forbid you be embarrassed about bringing Ontario beer, the very best of which is half rate at best. I wouldn't listen to ckoop's comment. What does he know? He's only been there before. Maybe you shouldn't go.
User avatar
Ale's What Cures Ya
Seasoned Drinker
Posts: 1198
Joined: Tue Apr 18, 2006 11:56 am
Location: The Thirsty Dog

Postby Ale's What Cures Ya » Sat Mar 14, 2015 10:03 pm

S. St. Jeb wrote:Yah, God forbid you be embarrassed about bringing Ontario beer, the very best of which is half rate at best. I wouldn't listen to ckoop's comment. What does he know? He's only been there before. Maybe you shouldn't go.


The very best of Ontario beer, I admit, is no longer "half rate". However it still pales in comparison to what's going to be available at Dark Lord Day. Not to mention I'd have to drive to Toronto to get the very best of what the province has to offer, and driving to Toronto just to get beer isn't even remotely appealing.
sprague11
Seasoned Drinker
Posts: 1903
Joined: Fri Sep 19, 2008 12:37 pm
Location: Newmarket, ON

Postby sprague11 » Tue Mar 17, 2015 10:13 am

You'd be surprised at what people are willing to try at these events - ie Anything that is not available to them.

I'd stop by Bellwoods and bring a couple bottles, maybe some Great Lakes project X or fresh IPA. Harry Porter and BNL are actually quite popular at these things as well.

Any plans to head north into Chicago while you're down there? Might be a good opportunity to check out some of their better bottle shops if you're making a weekend out of it.
"A good light beer is one that doesn't taste like piss!" - Frank d'Angelo
ckoop
Posts: 159
Joined: Wed Feb 05, 2014 8:09 am
Location: Niagara Falls

Postby ckoop » Fri Apr 10, 2015 10:36 am

Anyone else get their tickets? We chose to have them shipped to my us box since my brother was saying the shipping to canada was outrageous when he was competing the purchase. Was that true or can he not read? I know last year I had them shipped to canada reasonably, so I was surprised he said they were different this year. Oh well, tickets secured and in hand!
TheBeeraholic
Bar Fly
Posts: 627
Joined: Fri Aug 05, 2011 9:58 am
Location: Whitby, ON

Postby TheBeeraholic » Fri Apr 10, 2015 10:59 am

Will also be going again this year.
Group B. Hampton Inn booked as well for Friday and Saturday.
aofe
Posts: 36
Joined: Mon Oct 31, 2011 2:19 pm
Location: Toronto
Contact:

Postby aofe » Fri Apr 10, 2015 4:02 pm

I will also be there. Group C. Staying in Chicago
User avatar
Ale's What Cures Ya
Seasoned Drinker
Posts: 1198
Joined: Tue Apr 18, 2006 11:56 am
Location: The Thirsty Dog

Postby Ale's What Cures Ya » Fri Apr 10, 2015 9:37 pm

sprague11 wrote:You'd be surprised at what people are willing to try at these events - ie Anything that is not available to them.

I'd stop by Bellwoods and bring a couple bottles, maybe some Great Lakes project X or fresh IPA. Harry Porter and BNL are actually quite popular at these things as well.

Any plans to head north into Chicago while you're down there? Might be a good opportunity to check out some of their better bottle shops if you're making a weekend out of it.


We are making a weekend out of the trip, heading down Friday and coming back Monday.

Not sure if we'll head into Chicago proper though. Been trying to scope the area around Three Floyds for good bottle shops.

Need to find a good shop because obviously I want to come back with some cases of good beer, but I'm also hoping to find some Corsair hopped whiskey. So far no luck in the area though.

We're also planning on stopping at Bell's and Dark Horse on the way down, and then New Holland and Founders on the way back.

ckoop wrote:Anyone else get their tickets? We chose to have them shipped to my us box since my brother was saying the shipping to canada was outrageous when he was competing the purchase. Was that true or can he not read? I know last year I had them shipped to canada reasonably, so I was surprised he said they were different this year. Oh well, tickets secured and in hand!


No tickets yet. I don't recall shipping being "outrageous".
Bull_Schott
Posts: 20
Joined: Wed Dec 05, 2012 1:23 am

Postby Bull_Schott » Fri Apr 10, 2015 11:40 pm

We selected the ~$9 shipping option, and it allowed checkout. "International" was about $50, which I chose to hope meant overseas. Haven't got tickets yet but I'm not too worried as worst case they'll do will call or something.
ckoop
Posts: 159
Joined: Wed Feb 05, 2014 8:09 am
Location: Niagara Falls

Postby ckoop » Sat Apr 11, 2015 1:46 pm

Bull_Schott wrote:We selected the ~$9 shipping option, and it allowed checkout. "International" was about $50, which I chose to hope meant overseas. Haven't got tickets yet but I'm not too worried as worst case they'll do will call or something.


Yeah that's what he saw, which is why we went with my us box. Hopefully the $9 option works out for you guys.
ckoop
Posts: 159
Joined: Wed Feb 05, 2014 8:09 am
Location: Niagara Falls

Postby ckoop » Sat Apr 11, 2015 1:50 pm

Ale's What Cures Ya wrote:
sprague11 wrote:You'd be surprised at what people are willing to try at these events - ie Anything that is not available to them.

I'd stop by Bellwoods and bring a couple bottles, maybe some Great Lakes project X or fresh IPA. Harry Porter and BNL are actually quite popular at these things as well.

Any plans to head north into Chicago while you're down there? Might be a good opportunity to check out some of their better bottle shops if you're making a weekend out of it.


We are making a weekend out of the trip, heading down Friday and coming back Monday.

Not sure if we'll head into Chicago proper though. Been trying to scope the area around Three Floyds for good bottle shops.

Need to find a good shop because obviously I want to come back with some cases of good beer, but I'm also hoping to find some Corsair hopped whiskey. So far no luck in the area though.

We're also planning on stopping at Bell's and Dark Horse on the way down, and then New Holland and Founders on the way back.

ckoop wrote:Anyone else get their tickets? We chose to have them shipped to my us box since my brother was saying the shipping to canada was outrageous when he was competing the purchase. Was that true or can he not read? I know last year I had them shipped to canada reasonably, so I was surprised he said they were different this year. Oh well, tickets secured and in hand!


No tickets yet. I don't recall shipping being "outrageous".


Nice beer trip! Flying down, so I'm missing some of the beer touring.

Return to “Random Talk”

Who is online

Users browsing this forum: No registered users and 8 guests