Looking for the original Bar Towel blog? You can find it at www.thebartowel.com.

We have a trivia question in order to register to prevent bots. If you have any issues with answering, contact us at cass@bartowel.com for help.

Introducing Light Mode! If you would like a Bar Towel social experience that isn't the traditional blue, you can now select Light Mode. Go to the User Control Panel and then Board Preferences, and select "Day Drinking" (Light Mode) from the My Board Style drop-down menu. You can always switch back to "Night Drinking" (Dark Mode). Enjoy!

Dark Lord Day 2015

Discuss beer or anything else that comes to mind in here.

Moderators: Craig, Cass

FEUO

Post by FEUO »

Ale's What Cures Ya wrote:
ckoop wrote:
Honestly, most of the stuff that is shared is just nice local stuff. Grab some Bellwoods, nicklebrook immodest or malevolent, or some Great Lakes robohop/karma citra and people will be stoked.

My earlier comment was just regarding how pumped I was getting to try stuff like Black Tuesday, BA speedway, and tired hands stuff just from people walking around offering pours and wanting to pass that on to people around me this year. Last year all I had was malevolent, immodest and some 5 paddles and people that I shared it with seemed legitimately impressed with the stuff. It's generally a low key vibe of people excited about beer and excited to try new stuff, not tick whales.
I might have some aged stuff in the cellar. A 2006 Fuller's Vintage Ale, maybe a few 2008 or 2009 Peche Mortels.

I just don't want to show up with a handful of half-rate Ontario beer and be embarrassed when some guy pours some Heady Topper or something lol.
Nothing like sh*tting on your locals. Grass ain't always greener, y'know?
I'd put a couple of the Bellwoods and GLB IPAs up against a lot of well known american IPAs.

And if any of you are travelling along i-94 (which most will be), why not hit up breweries that don't distro, or get into NY.
Greenbush (exit 12), Tapistry (exit 16), Livery (exit 33)... and thats just between KZoo and Indiana.

Ale's What Cures Ya
Seasoned Drinker

Post by Ale's What Cures Ya »

ckoop wrote:
Nice beer trip! Flying down, so I'm missing some of the beer touring.
That's one of the reasons I'll always drive somewhere if possible. I love stopping at places along the way.
FEUO wrote: Nothing like sh*tting on your locals. Grass ain't always greener, y'know?
I'd put a couple of the Bellwoods and GLB IPAs up against a lot of well known american IPAs.
Maybe if I could get my hands on Bellwoods products easily I'd bring some. Or try some for that matter.

As for the Great Lakes IPAs, I'd love to bring some. Too bad their hop profiles disappear in roughly a week.

sprague11
Seasoned Drinker

Post by sprague11 »

If I were driving down I'd do a couple stops in Michigan and possibly 18th St. in Gary. If you want to stay on the outskirts of Chicago and hit a big bottle shop there's a Binny's in Orland Park that shouldn't be too hectic a drive from Munster - about 30 minutes or so.
"A good light beer is one that doesn't taste like piss!" - Frank d'Angelo

Bull_Schott

Post by Bull_Schott »

Tickets arrived today, via FedEx. They were signature required, so anyone is aware.

Ale's What Cures Ya
Seasoned Drinker

Well, I've gotten everything I need for Dark Lord Day. Picked up a cooler back pack, pepperonis, pretzels and bottles of water today.

I also picked out what I'm bringing for bottle shares:

-Two bottles of 2011 St. Ambroise Imperial Russian Stout
-Two bottle of Du Dieu Ciel Peche Mortel. Not sure what year they are from. Notches on side say 03/06. 100% certain I don't have 2006 Peche.
-1 bottle of Charlevoix Vache Folle
-1 bottle of Amsterdam Tempest
-1 bottle of 2009 Brooklyn Black Chocolate Stout.

Oh, one thing I don't have yet are my fucking tickets, but of course, why would I think this trip could go smoothly?

TheBeeraholic
Bar Fly

Post by TheBeeraholic »

Ale's What Cures Ya wrote:Well, I've gotten everything I need for Dark Lord Day. Picked up a cooler back pack, pepperonis, pretzels and bottles of water today.

I also picked out what I'm bringing for bottle shares:

-Two bottles of 2011 St. Ambroise Imperial Russian Stout
-Two bottle of Du Dieu Ciel Peche Mortel. Not sure what year they are from. Notches on side say 03/06. 100% certain I don't have 2006 Peche.
-1 bottle of Charlevoix Vache Folle
-1 bottle of Amsterdam Tempest
-1 bottle of 2009 Brooklyn Black Chocolate Stout.

Oh, one thing I don't have yet are my fucking tickets, but of course, why would I think this trip could go smoothly?

- Two Peche, Two BBA Peche
- Amsterdam Tempest, Amsterdam Double Tempest
- Beard of Zeus
- 2014 Parabola
- Giridian 1882 Black Label

And hoping to stop by Bellwoods and GLB tonight

Ale's What Cures Ya
Seasoned Drinker

TheBeeraholic wrote:

- Beard of Zeus
- 2014 Parabola

My friend is interested in bringing some beers as well, so we're going to stop by the LCBO Thursday night and see what we can rustle up.

He might just end up picking and choosing from my cellar. Maybe I'll bring a bottle of Westy 12 as well.

TheBeeraholic
Bar Fly

Post by TheBeeraholic »

TheBeeraholic wrote:

- Beard of Zeus
- 2014 Parabola

My friend is interested in bringing some beers as well, so we're going to stop by the LCBO Thursday night and see what we can rustle up.

He might just end up picking and choosing from my cellar. Maybe I'll bring a bottle of Westy 12 as well.
Yeah going to throw a few westies in as well. Forgot about my Westy and Abt 12 box when pulling beers last night. GLB has lots in the fridge now good for sharing with locals in lines and what not.

Ale's What Cures Ya
Seasoned Drinker

TheBeeraholic wrote:
Yeah going to throw a few westies in as well. Forgot about my Westy and Abt 12 box when pulling beers last night. GLB has lots in the fridge now good for sharing with locals in lines and what not.
I won't be making it to Great Lakes before Dark Lord Day. I don't live in Toronto, or the GTA, and only go to the city for concerts, sporting events, etc.

So unless Thrust shows up at the LCBO in the next few days my bottle shares will be devoid of GLB.

Ale's What Cures Ya
Seasoned Drinker

My tickets have arrived.

Got in touch with eTix to let them know they've arrived. We're still bringing all the stuff they said we should bring for the ticket resolution tent just in case they fuck it up somehow.

TheBeeraholic
Bar Fly

Post by TheBeeraholic »

So unless Thrust shows up at the LCBO in the next few days my bottle shares will be devoid of GLB.
Not the LCBO but Retail Fridge on Friday depending on what time you're taking off.

aofe

Post by aofe »

Also got my tickets via snail mail yesterday.

Bringing down some different bottles of Bellwoods, Double Tempest and couple smaller bottles. Will be in line for Group D.

Ale's What Cures Ya
Seasoned Drinker

TheBeeraholic wrote:
Not the LCBO but Retail Fridge on Friday depending on what time you're taking off.
As I said, I only go to Toronto for sporting events, concerts etc. so I won't be picking up any Thrust until it hits LCBO shelves.

El Pinguino
Seasoned Drinker

Post by El Pinguino »

Have fun...sounds like quite a few people heading down for the event.

I'm curious to try to get tickets one year, just for the festive fun more than the beer.

TheSevenDuffs
Beer Superstar

Post by TheSevenDuffs »

El Pinguino wrote: I'm curious to try to get tickets one year, just for the festive fun more than the beer.
I keep saying that myself and somehow just never make it down. Truth be told, the beer really isn't that good but it is supposed to be one of the best beer events out there.