Looking for the original Bar Towel blog? You can find it at www.thebartowel.com.

We have a trivia question in order to register to prevent bots. If you have any issues with answering, contact us at cass@bartowel.com for help.

Introducing Light Mode! If you would like a Bar Towel social experience that isn't the traditional blue, you can now select Light Mode. Go to the User Control Panel and then Board Preferences, and select "Day Drinking" (Light Mode) from the My Board Style drop-down menu. You can always switch back to "Night Drinking" (Dark Mode). Enjoy!

Dark Lord Day 2015

Discuss beer or anything else that comes to mind in here.

Moderators: Craig, Cass

ckoop

Post by ckoop »

I wish we could delete almost this entire page of this thread starting with FEUO offering his take on why he doesn't want to go on a thread with people pumped to go. And then the petty, internet fight between two adults. handle that shit through PM if you are both butthurt by each other's comments. Useful stuff right there.

Anyway, yep, another great weekend in chicago/dld. pouring rain in line to get in had some great neighbors for sharing generous pours of everything that we all brought. i love it when strangers pass by a couple times in the gated corral, eyeing your bottle, and you offer them a pour that they are stoked to try but too shy to ask. happened with a couple of my beers on multiple occasions.

got inside, guest taps were empty and grabbed a CC cherry grove that was outstanding. my buddies came back from the fff taps with dark lord de muerte for everyone. great way to start off the official day! grabbed our bottles in 30 minutes from the group a line (my brother is now 2/2 on winning variants, 0/2 for me, ha), walked by another fff tap that had BA DL and topped up, found a nice table under the big tent and continued sharing with more cool people. i don't think i was even there 10 minutes when someone poured me a decent pour of ba abraxas to blow my mind. tried lots of regular beers from smaller and unknown breweries from michigan and illinois.

honestly, if the above doesn't appeal to you, then i guess you shouldn't waste your time and money on going. the day is about 10% about buying DL bottles and 90% about drinking and sharing beer with strangers who love beer. even if you hate DL you can easily flip it into beers of similar value. when i try to explain how fun this is to non-beer loving people i get blank stares, i can't believe some of the posts on this thread are the equivalent of that from fellew beer lovers. haha, oh well...
Last edited by ckoop on Mon Apr 27, 2015 11:37 am, edited 1 time in total.

aofe

Post by aofe »

We had a great weekend as well. Went to Local Option in Chicago on Friday. Despite getting in there 2 hours early and going thru the list of good taps. We struck out on the Goose Island Proprietors. Seems like they were giving it to friends and regulars. A sympathetic local did give us half of this pour, so it wasn't all that bad after all. Then went to Binnys for some bottle shopping and Goose Island Brewpub (meh) and called it a night after dinner.

As for Dark Lord, our shuttle got there around 9am. At the North Gate there was a lineup for what looked like half a kilometre... Thankfully we knew some people near the front and got it fairly quickly... Bottles are flowing quite well early. As soon as we got in, got Dark Lord 2011 and 2015 on tap as well as bourbon barrel aged version.

Stood almost 3 hours in line for glsssware, shared many bottles and had a blast. My friends were trading and sharing in the tent. Lets just say I was they guy who was singing the Canadian national anthem on the megaphone...

Inside the tent was PACKED!!! My friends found a table of people who where all from southern states and traded/shared all their Canadian beers. Oddly, they didn't want my Bellwoods. But they were more then generous pouring lots of whales. My glass never stayed empty.

I was in group D, the line went VERY slow. Lot of tired and drunk people in line. Seemed like a lot less sharing. In fact i saw couple of fights break out as well. I got a winning ticket and picked the Portuguese Brandy BA.

Went back the the tent while most people seemed to clear out after 6:30-7. Lines were almost non existent after that. Watched Big Freedia and CoC then got the bus back to Chicago.

Overall a great event. You have to have lots of patience. I clearly underestimated how much I can carry in a whole day. Having a car to put the bottles back into would have been nice.

ckoop

Post by ckoop »

aofe wrote:We had a great weekend as well. Went to Local Option in Chicago on Friday. Despite getting in there 2 hours early and going thru the list of good taps. We struck out on the Goose Island Proprietors. Seems like they were giving it to friends and regulars. A sympathetic local did give us half of this pour, so it wasn't all that bad after all. Then went to Binnys for some bottle shopping and Goose Island Brewpub (meh) and called it a night after dinner..
ha, missed out on the prop at local option as well, but we foolishly arrived at 2:55 after stuffing our faces with pequods. our experience last year when they had a better tap list showed that you could show up later and still get most things, but i guess all rules go out the window when prop is involved!

FEUO

Post by FEUO »

ckoop wrote:I wish we could delete almost this entire page of this thread starting with FEUO offering his take on why he doesn't want to go on a thread with people pumped to go. And then the petty, internet fight between two adults. handle that shit through PM if you are both butthurt by each other's comments. Useful stuff right there.
No butthurt. No fight. There needs to be two sides and I couldn't care less about beer nerds from Toronto geeking out about an overhyped and overrated beer and event. I voiced my opinion about it as I think that there is far too much hype in the craft beer scene that is unwarranted.
I'd hate for folks to go all that way thinking its the greatest thing going without really thinking it through or hearing different perspectives.

If you went and had a good time in the cold and wet I'm glad for you.
(I didn't read the rest of your post as you directed me to do something and you have no place or business doing so. Thank you.)

ckoop

Post by ckoop »

yeah, that's cool and all, i guess since this was a thread comprised primarily of people already committed to going and discussing info about the day, that the negative perspective didn't seem all that necessary to me. definitely if the thread were "hey i'm thinking about going to DLD, is it really worth it?" then i can see how your opinion would have been quite useful.

FEUO

Post by FEUO »

ckoop wrote:yeah, that's cool and all, i guess since this was a thread comprised primarily of people already committed to going and discussing info about the day, that the negative perspective didn't seem all that necessary to me. definitely if the thread were "hey i'm thinking about going to DLD, is it really worth it?" then i can see how your opinion would have been quite useful.
No one here ever asks for any advice as everyone is apparently a know-it-all or braggart, or both. So a counter perspective is not at all welcome? This is a forum. If you want to have a one sided conversation start a blog.
In the meantime, there will be folks who have opinions that may not mesh with yours and others who have history and experiences on their side that may provide another look at things.
Have I been to DLD? No. Not interested.
Again, too far to go for meh beer (referring to DL itself) and music I'm not into. Sure there are great taps and bottle sharing. But that can be found or had plenty of other times without dealing with THOUSANDS of overserved idiots.

Craig
Seasoned Drinker

Post by Craig »

FEUO wrote:
ckoop wrote:yeah, that's cool and all, i guess since this was a thread comprised primarily of people already committed to going and discussing info about the day, that the negative perspective didn't seem all that necessary to me. definitely if the thread were "hey i'm thinking about going to DLD, is it really worth it?" then i can see how your opinion would have been quite useful.
No one here ever asks for any advice as everyone is apparently a know-it-all or braggart, or both. So a counter perspective is not at all welcome? This is a forum. If you want to have a one sided conversation start a blog.
In the meantime, there will be folks who have opinions that may not mesh with yours and others who have history and experiences on their side that may provide another look at things.
Again, too far to go for meh beer (referring to DL itself) and music I'm not into. Sure there are great taps and bottle sharing. But that can be found or had plenty of other times without dealing with THOUSANDS of overserved idiots.

So, to combat the spread of know-it-alls, your idea is to come tell people a beer event you've never been to isn't that great?

nickw

Post by nickw »

I'll speak for myself but I've got a feeling that others might agree. It's not so much that someone has a different opinion as it is in the way that opinion is expressed: full of vitriol, outright dismissal of others' opinions, insulting other posters, whatever the hell "I didn't read the rest of your post as you directed me to do something [to take your petty fight to private message so the rest of us don't have to see it] and you have no place or business doing so. Thank you." is trying to say.

Such a lovely little beer community we have here.

FEUO

Post by FEUO »

Craig wrote:
FEUO wrote:

So, to combat the spread of know-it-alls, your idea is to come tell people a beer event you've never been to isn't that great?
Who's combating. Can't beat em, join em. Right?

FEUO

Post by FEUO »

nickw wrote:I'll speak for myself but I've got a feeling that others might agree. It's not so much that someone has a different opinion as it is in the way that opinion is expressed: full of vitriol, outright dismissal of others' opinions, insulting other posters, whatever the hell "I didn't read the rest of your post as you directed me to do something [to take your petty fight to private message so the rest of us don't have to see it] and you have no place or business doing so. Thank you." is trying to say.

Such a lovely little beer community we have here.
I'm sorry that any comment may have been taken poorly and possibly hurt your feelings.
Fella started a post with a criticism. Why read anything he has to say beyond that.

It truly amazes me that people think chattering about a beer forum denotes some sort of "community".
FYI, shenanigans at DLD include a dude pulling a knife, rampant beer theft, puking and falling over.... yeah, great stuff. Can't wait to go next year.

Newmoney homies are sucking the life out of all beer related events.
Great "community" all right.

Bull_Schott

Post by Bull_Schott »

There are a lot of over hyped beer events I'm sure, DLD is not one of them. It deserves all the hype it gets. If you don't enjoy being around enthusiastic beer lovers who share beer from all over the world, being able to get a wide range of interesting brews on tap (in 9 or 16 oz servings), or generally having a good time, you certainly would not enjoy it.

To come on a thread and spew a bunch of BS about an event that the poster has never attended is purely a dick move. You were obviously pissed off when someone said that Ontario brews weren't good enough and then snowballed from there. You know, you're right - everything about Dark Lord Day is horrible, don't go, don't try to get tickets. The rest of us will be thankful.

FEUO

Post by FEUO »

Bull_Schott wrote:There are a lot of over hyped beer events I'm sure, DLD is not one of them. It deserves all the hype it gets. If you don't enjoy being around enthusiastic beer lovers who share beer from all over the world, being able to get a wide range of interesting brews on tap (in 9 or 16 oz servings), or generally having a good time, you certainly would not enjoy it.

To come on a thread and spew a bunch of BS about an event that the poster has never attended is purely a dick move. You were obviously pissed off when someone said that Ontario brews weren't good enough and then snowballed from there. You know, you're right - everything about Dark Lord Day is horrible, don't go, don't try to get tickets. The rest of us will be thankful.
lol, love it.
I've had DL on multiple occasions so I think I can speak to its hype.
I was not pissed off about Ontario brews not being good enough, some are, but the overall quality of stuff being shared and tapped may put the BT hipster's Steamwhistle in check.

Have I been to DLD? No. But based on countless first hand tales from FRIENDS (not people on the internet) I think I have some idea of how things go, not to mention the event experiences I have myself.

Dick move otherwise? Sure. How many F's given? Zero point zero.
I'm here for the lulz.

Ale's What Cures Ya
Seasoned Drinker

Post by Ale's What Cures Ya »

ckoop wrote: honestly, if the above doesn't appeal to you, then i guess you shouldn't waste your time and money on going. the day is about 10% about buying DL bottles and 90% about drinking and sharing beer with strangers who love beer. even if you hate DL you can easily flip it into beers of similar value. when i try to explain how fun this is to non-beer loving people i get blank stares, i can't believe some of the posts on this thread are the equivalent of that from fellew beer lovers. haha, oh well...
Now that I've experienced it firsthand I agree with this completely.

Had tons of fun meeting all kinds of great people who share a love of great beer. Combined with the ancillary benefits of visiting the United States (like the cigar lounge that was steps from our hotel and the bottle shops) and it turned out to be a great weekend getaway.

I completely see the value of general admission tickets to the event now. If we get skunked out of allotment tickets next year I'd have no problem going GA.

Then again I'm the kind of person that likes meeting new people.

aofe

Post by aofe »

Anybody going down this year? Would be nice to see some other Canadians.

DeMarco

Post by DeMarco »

I always miss out on tickets, and it bums me out because it would be pretty awesome to see eyehategod along with drinking tons of amazing beer.