Looking for the original Bar Towel blog? You can find it at www.thebartowel.com.

We have a trivia question in order to register to prevent bots. If you have any issues with answering, contact us at cass@bartowel.com for help.

Introducing Light Mode! If you would like a Bar Towel social experience that isn't the traditional blue, you can now select Light Mode. Go to the User Control Panel and then Board Preferences, and select "Day Drinking" (Light Mode) from the My Board Style drop-down menu. You can always switch back to "Night Drinking" (Dark Mode). Enjoy!

Sunmedia Beer Madness

Discuss beer or anything else that comes to mind in here.

Moderators: Craig, Cass

Masterplan
Bar Fly

Sunmedia Beer Madness

Post by Masterplan »

http://www.thewhig.com/2015/03/18/beer- ... er-contest

Seems like it was thrown together slap dash by an average craft beer drinker seemingly with a Western bias. Just vote to make sure the Macros lose...

Craig
Seasoned Drinker

Post by Craig »

It says the brackets were put together by Crystal Luxmore, who is a pretty credible source.

Lol, the Whig Standard. Do they still routinely accidentally post the same story twice in a 4-page section?

Masterplan
Bar Fly

Post by Masterplan »

I'd imagine it went out across the sun media platform, of which the whig is now under. I don't get the print version anymore, but like any local paper they've had their less than flattering moments...

How does she include Canadian and blue in this, if as you say she reputable? Or is that the editor/advertising exec decision? Here is the sun article:

http://m.torontosun.com/2015/03/16/beer ... er-contest

Torontoblue
Beer Superstar

Post by Torontoblue »

Well, from the article itself, Crystal writes, "Just like on the hardcourt, our tournament will feature legendary names (Molson Canadian, Mill Street Organic), steady seniors (Alexander Keith’s, Labatt Blue) and underdogs just waiting to shock the world (Saison du Pinacle, Yukon Gold)."

Pretty self explanatory, really.

It's NOT all about 'craft' beers.

Craig
Seasoned Drinker

Post by Craig »

Masterplan wrote:I'd imagine it went out across the sun media platform, of which the whig is now under. I don't get the print version anymore, but like any local paper they've had their less than flattering moments...

How does she include Canadian and blue in this, if as you say she reputable? Or is that the editor/advertising exec decision? Here is the sun article:

She put the most popular beers in the country on a bracket to decide the most popular beers...

Masterplan
Bar Fly

Post by Masterplan »

Craig wrote:
Masterplan wrote:I'd imagine it went out across the sun media platform, of which the whig is now under. I don't get the print version anymore, but like any local paper they've had their less than flattering moments...

She put the most popular beers in the country on a bracket to decide the most popular beers...
Paddock Wood Czech Mate Pilsner is the 8th most popular lager beer in Canada?

Craig
Seasoned Drinker

Post by Craig »

I didn't say they were ranked by popularity.

Derek
Beer Superstar

Post by Derek »

It will be sad to see Red Racer loose to Keith's.

Huh, I didn't even see the brackets before I posted that!
http://lifewise.canoe.ca/FoodDrink/Wine ... 95151.html

Belgian
Bar Towel Legend

Post by Belgian »

Blanche du Chambly, LOL. A great brand that's been splashed on patio umbrellas and bar posters for 23 years - and these Anglo media weenuses still can't spell it. On a BALLOT.

Too bad the Kingston Whig got bought by some useless news conglomerate. The whole contest oozes with such authority & relevance... :oops:

Here is an ultra-rare image ;) of the beer's label showing the name.

In Beerum Veritas

Cass
Beer Superstar

Post by Cass »

Belgian wrote:Blanche du Chambly, LOL. A great brand that's been splashed on patio umbrellas and bar posters for 23 years - and these Anglo media weenuses still can't spell it. On a BALLOT.

Too bad the Kingston Whig got bought by some useless news conglomerate. The whole contest oozes with such authority & relevance... :oops:

Here is an ultra-rare image ;) of the beer's label showing the name.

That bracket has a number of typos on it. How about this:

Le Trou due Diable, Sasin du Tracteur

saints_gambit
Bar Fly

Post by saints_gambit »

Anytime you put together a list or bracket for the newspaper, you've got to think about the markets the papers appear in. Crystal has to face the same problem I used to at Sun Media, which is looking credible nationally online while playing to a limited crowd in print.

Can't say I miss that part of the gig.
saintjohnswort.ca

mahcinesquad

Post by mahcinesquad »

saints_gambit wrote:Anytime you put together a list or bracket for the newspaper, you've got to think about the markets the papers appear in. Crystal has to face the same problem I used to at Sun Media, which is looking credible nationally online while playing to a limited crowd in print.

Can't say I miss that part of the gig.
Very true.

Derek
Beer Superstar

Post by Derek »

I'm surprised...
Results:
Fat Tug IPA (Winner) - 749 votes
Galaxy Hop Ale - 255 votes
...maybe Keith's was put at a disadvantage with the 'specialty' brew? Or maybe it is just the real geeks that participate.

Masterplan
Bar Fly

Post by Masterplan »

Derek wrote:I'm surprised...
Results:
...maybe Keith's was put at a disadvantage with the 'specialty' brew? Or maybe it is just the real geeks that participate.
I was more surprised that Canadian and Blue lost to two beers I've never heard of... Delighted, but surprised.

lister
Beer Superstar

Post by lister »

Derek wrote:I'm surprised...
Results:
I was at an Applebee's (don't ask) and had Keith's Galaxy Hop ale. I've had one of their other single hop beers previously that was okay. So I figured while their Galaxy wouldn't be up to snuff of other craft Galaxy beers, it can't be too bad given the hop. Wrong. I had no idea what they did to mute that hop but boy was that weak as shit.
lister