Looking for the original Bar Towel blog? You can find it at www.thebartowel.com.

We have a trivia question in order to register to prevent bots. If you have any issues with answering, contact us at cass@bartowel.com for help.

Introducing Light Mode! If you would like a Bar Towel social experience that isn't the traditional blue, you can now select Light Mode. Go to the User Control Panel and then Board Preferences, and select "Day Drinking" (Light Mode) from the My Board Style drop-down menu. You can always switch back to "Night Drinking" (Dark Mode). Enjoy!

Welcome to the new Forum!

Discuss beer or anything else that comes to mind in here.

Moderators: Craig, Cass

Chris

Post by Chris »

Cass wrote:"Wet Towel" for those with under 10 posts? :)
I like it! I see images can be associated with rank...could be interesting!

Belgian
Bar Towel Legend

Post by Belgian »

< LOL no longer a Beer Superstar, but a BarTowel Legend.
Many legends operate within the realm of uncertainty, never being entirely believed by the participants, but also never being resolutely doubted.
I warned ya!
In Beerum Veritas

S. St. Jeb
Seasoned Drinker

Post by S. St. Jeb »

Links used to open in a new window. I tried a couple tonight, and they opened in the same window, so I "left" the forum. Is there a setting for this? Much prefer links opening in new windows.

ErkLR

Post by ErkLR »

Cass wrote:Yeah, I was playing around with the rank functionality, which we didn't have with the old board. Haven't really given it much thought so made up some arbitrary titles. But it would probably be fun to put more in place, so if anyone has any ideas please post them up!
Can you have custom ranks/titles for each person? Not that I want you to spend hours giving everyone a custom rank, but it may be appropriate for the small number of users who are here representing their brewery/bar. I don't think anyone tries to hide it, but you may not know unless you've been around for a while that you're reading the opinion of someone who works at a particular brewery. I guess it gets fuzzy where someone works for a brewery but is not necessarily here representing them.

El Pinguino
Seasoned Drinker

Post by El Pinguino »

ErkLR wrote:
Cass wrote:Yeah, I was playing around with the rank functionality, which we didn't have with the old board. Haven't really given it much thought so made up some arbitrary titles. But it would probably be fun to put more in place, so if anyone has any ideas please post them up!
Can you have custom ranks/titles for each person? Not that I want you to spend hours giving everyone a custom rank, but it may be appropriate for the small number of users who are here representing their brewery/bar. I don't think anyone tries to hide it, but you may not know unless you've been around for a while that you're reading the opinion of someone who works at a particular brewery. I guess it gets fuzzy where someone works for a brewery but is not necessarily here representing them.
Interesting idea. I know you can add different "general" labels like there are the Admins, Global Moderators, etc. I'm sure a Brewery Rep label could be added? You'd get special purple or yellow names or some special label?

Cass
Beer Superstar

Post by Cass »

S. St. Jeb wrote:Links used to open in a new window. I tried a couple tonight, and they opened in the same window, so I "left" the forum. Is there a setting for this? Much prefer links opening in new windows.
Evidently this was eliminated with phpbb3 from phpbb2 (the old forum) due to wanting to make the code compliant with some standards. But there's a hack to change it back.

The forum software was updated this week so we've got to do that first, and then tackle this.

Cass
Beer Superstar

Post by Cass »

El Pinguino wrote:
ErkLR wrote:
Interesting idea. I know you can add different "general" labels like there are the Admins, Global Moderators, etc. I'm sure a Brewery Rep label could be added? You'd get special purple or yellow names or some special label?
I think I can add special ranks to individual users, but it's a manual endeavour. This is the part where I start taking applications for co-mods & admins :)

Cass
Beer Superstar

Post by Cass »

I've found where the group styles are, so all admins & mods are the same username colour as everyone else. Keeps it a bit more uniform.

Craig
Seasoned Drinker

Post by Craig »

Cass wrote:
S. St. Jeb wrote:Links used to open in a new window. I tried a couple tonight, and they opened in the same window, so I "left" the forum. Is there a setting for this? Much prefer links opening in new windows.
Evidently this was eliminated with phpbb3 from phpbb2 (the old forum) due to wanting to make the code compliant with some standards. But there's a hack to change it back.

The forum software was updated this week so we've got to do that first, and then tackle this.
If you go with the hack, you'll have to do it over again every update. There's an extension that does the same thing without that drawback.

Belgian
Bar Towel Legend

Post by Belgian »

Cass wrote:I've found where the group styles are, so all admins & mods are the same username colour as everyone else. Keeps it a bit more uniform.
True! Except that I am Legend…

In Beerum Veritas

JerCraigs
Beer Superstar

Post by JerCraigs »

Cass wrote:I've found where the group styles are, so all admins & mods are the same username colour as everyone else. Keeps it a bit more uniform.
One of us! One of us! :P

wilco

Post by wilco »

Looking good! I was getting annoyed that it wasn't showing me new threads, then realized I was being stupid and just had to log in again. :oops:

A good thing for everyone to know - you have to opt in to email notifications for private messages. Go to User Control Panel->Board Preferences->Edit notification options.

Chris

Post by Chris »

Cass wrote:
I like it the way it is...but that is personal preference. You can hold down shift when you click a link and most browsers will open that link in a new window. Holding down control and clicking will open a new tab in most browsers.

El Pinguino
Seasoned Drinker

Post by El Pinguino »

Chris wrote:
Cass wrote:
I like it the way it is...but that is personal preference. You can hold down shift when you click a link and most browsers will open that link in a new window. Holding down control and clicking will open a new tab in most browsers.
Ya, I wouldn't worry about that hack....right click with a mouse or use the shirt or control clicks...first thing I do when I visit BT is open a tab for each forum section that has new posts. Super easy.

Masterplan
Bar Fly

Post by Masterplan »

A small thing, but can we get a 'Go Back One Level' button at the bottom of the page?