Looking for the original Bar Towel blog? You can find it at www.thebartowel.com.

We have a trivia question in order to register to prevent bots. If you have any issues with answering, contact us at cass@bartowel.com for help.

Introducing Light Mode! If you would like a Bar Towel social experience that isn't the traditional blue, you can now select Light Mode. Go to the User Control Panel and then Board Preferences, and select "Day Drinking" (Light Mode) from the My Board Style drop-down menu. You can always switch back to "Night Drinking" (Dark Mode). Enjoy!

Chinook Hops in IPA's

Discuss beer or anything else that comes to mind in here.

Moderators: Craig, Cass

PRMason
Bar Fly

Post by PRMason »

Anyone have an opinion about the suitability of Chinook hops in big IPA's? I am seriously considering using a big whack of them in my IPA next spring, maybe with a little Willamette thrown in as well.
Let me know.

Jon Walker
Seasoned Drinker

Post by Jon Walker »

Williamette and Chinook are the hops used to make Pike IPA in Seattle so from me you have a definite thumbs up! Pike balances their bold hops with a very lovely blend of Pale, Crystal, Munich and Cara Pils malts to provide the backbone.

Bridegeport on the other hand use "two full pounds of Cascade, Chinook, Goldings, Crystal and Ahtanum hops in every barrel" to make their remarkable IPA.

Regardless, if you are going to skip on the Cascade hops then Williamette and Chinook would be my choice as well.

Wow, I can't wait for you to get a batch done!

Regards,
Jon Walker

Josh Oakes

Post by Josh Oakes »

As I stated in my previous post on the subject, Chinook-Cascade-Centennial makes the perfect IPA combo for me. So a pile of Chinooks suits me just fine.

I'm less enthusiastic about the Willamettes, though. The Willamette/Golding thing is very overdone in Ontario IMHO. My preference would be to see all citric, piney hops.

Lyle

Post by Lyle »

Chinooks are a great bittering hop - high alpha, relatively low beta. In my opinion, they add a slightly spicy note that is lacking in other C-hops (owing to their partial English Goldings heritage?).

Some brewers question their use as an aroma variety - claiming that they produce more "earthy" aromas than other C-hops. Certainly, at 10-12% alpha, they are quite an economical hop for bittering and give an unmistakeably crisp, N.American hop-finish.

For big classic N.W. IPA aroma, I've always been a huge fan of Centennials, although it is good to add hints of a few other varieties for some complexity.

Coincidentally, I'm about to homebrew a 1-hectoliter batch of a West Coast style IPA, single-hopped ENTIRELY with Chinooks I grew in my backyard. I don't think I've ever had an IPA hopped entirely with Chinooks - for bittering, flavor, and aroma additions - so we're just doing this as an experiment! If it comes out well, I'll save a few bottles for the bartowel crew...

If anyone is interested in growing hops in their backyard, Chinooks grow like MAD in almost any environment. They dwarf all of my other vines like a magic beanstalk growing into the clouds.
Lyle Ostrow
Premier Gourmet
3465 Delaware Avenue
Kenmore, NY 14217
tel:(716) 877-3574
email: premierbeer@adelphia.net

PRMason
Bar Fly

Post by PRMason »

Thanks for the input. Anyone who grows hops, the noblest bine on the planet, is someone to be listened to. Chinook it is.