Looking for the original Bar Towel blog? You can find it at www.thebartowel.com.

We have a trivia question in order to register to prevent bots. If you have any issues with answering, contact us at cass@bartowel.com for help.

Introducing Light Mode! If you would like a Bar Towel social experience that isn't the traditional blue, you can now select Light Mode. Go to the User Control Panel and then Board Preferences, and select "Day Drinking" (Light Mode) from the My Board Style drop-down menu. You can always switch back to "Night Drinking" (Dark Mode). Enjoy!

Hamilton people, help??

Discuss beer or anything else that comes to mind in here.

Moderators: Craig, Cass

sofakingdrunk
Bar Fly

Hamilton people, help??

Post by sofakingdrunk »

It looks like I will be spending quite a bit of time, back at McMaster hospital. Any insightful hamilton peeps out there know any decent pub/bar within walking distance of the hospital??

admviolin

Post by admviolin »

I don't think there is anything walking distance. The West End pub at Emerson and Royal is not too far, but pretty standard beer list.
Despite being at the University, that stretch of Main St. is pretty desolate.

Provost Drunk

Post by Provost Drunk »

Agreed - the best beer bars are located closer to downtown. Brux House on Locke would be a hearty walk from Mac (30+ minutes). I'd consider that do-able, but I know I'm in the minority with that opinion.

For something close, you could do a lot worse than The Phoenix which is right on campus in the Refectory Rathskellar building. Their beer list has a number of craft offerings, but it's a pretty conservative list in that most offerings are from the bigger micros and are readily available (with the exception of the local nod to THB):

http://www.phoenixmcmaster.ca/Menus/Dri ... fault.aspx

Can't beat the convenience if you're coming from the hospital.

sofakingdrunk
Bar Fly

Post by sofakingdrunk »

Thx for the feedback. I found an lcbo within walking disrance(in Dundas).
I'm
Also currently at West End pub, which I stumbled across. It's on Emerson at, rift across from
Hospital. A short 10 min walk down the street. It's a small place that's got a bit of a real back-home British pub feel to it. Beer selection is mothingn spectacular but at least I can get a bone shaker on tap. Others include welly spa,trailhead. Amsterdam blond,coots light,tankhpuse,organic and cobblestone.....as well as the obligatory PBR

sofakingdrunk
Bar Fly

Post by sofakingdrunk »

And only 5.49 for the pint

Pub Style
Bar Fly

Post by Pub Style »

The Phoenix at McMaster University has a great draught list. 24 beers and 95% from local breweries. Karma Citra IPA on right now.

kevinlater

Post by kevinlater »

Pub Style wrote:The Phoenix at McMaster University has a great draught list. 24 beers and 95% from local breweries. Karma Citra IPA on right now.
nice! looks like i'll be spending lots of time and money there

boney
Seasoned Drinker

Post by boney »

I think they might still do a cask every Tuesday as well.

The Phoenix is indeed one of the only choices in that area of town and they do have some surprising stuff, now and then.

kevinlater

Post by kevinlater »

karma citra not on tap at the phoenix just yet. they only dedicate one tap to GLB and they need to drain limp puppet first