Looking for the original Bar Towel blog? You can find it at www.thebartowel.com.

We have a trivia question in order to register to prevent bots. If you have any issues with answering, contact us at cass@bartowel.com for help.

Introducing Light Mode! If you would like a Bar Towel social experience that isn't the traditional blue, you can now select Light Mode. Go to the User Control Panel and then Board Preferences, and select "Day Drinking" (Light Mode) from the My Board Style drop-down menu. You can always switch back to "Night Drinking" (Dark Mode). Enjoy!

Becoming a Brewer

Discuss beer or anything else that comes to mind in here.

Moderators: Craig, Cass

Zingrrrr

Becoming a Brewer

Post by Zingrrrr »

Hi everyone!
I am wondering if anyone knows someone in the industry looking to take a chance on a nobody, that nobody being me!
I like most people love everything about beer, the way it looks, the way it smells and most important the way it tastes. I really want to take it to the next level and learn how to make it. I can't do homebrew as our place is too small and it's just not in the budget right now and i can't go back to school. Does anyone know of a place looking for an intern or something that would give me a shot in the Kitchener-Waterloo area? I have worked in a brewery before and spent many years at The Beer Store.

Thanks for taking the time to read this.
Zingrrrr

Kish84
Bar Fly

Post by Kish84 »

Have you talked to anyone at Brick...errr, Waterloo Brewing, Grand River, Innocente, Block 3, Abe Erb, Wellington, Stonehammer, Royal City...

Edit: I should probably add that you will definitely not be starting as a brewer, and will most likely have nothing to do with the brewing process to start.
"There's always money in the banana stand."

admviolin

Post by admviolin »

I thought my downtown condo was too small to brew in....until my girlfriend bought a 1 gallon kit from Brookyln Brew Shop. Turns out we can (and now do) brew in our place.
I'm not saying get their kit, but think smaller batches and I'm sure you can brew at home.

EDIT: Also, I wanted a job in the beer industry so I became a certified cicerone. Not sure if it helped, but I am now event staff for a brewery.

Zingrrrr

Post by Zingrrrr »

Thanks for the responses! I think i have a few leads and will post updates. I know i probably won't be able to start brewing right off the bat, but at least if i'm given a shot at some point I'll be happy.

kfbass

Post by kfbass »

Hey

I'm a brewer at wellington, and only a casual lurker of this board.

I can tell you with some certainty that we do not have any openings at the moment, but certainly keep resumes on file. Sucks that it's getting colder, and into the slow part of the year, but with the expansion we are working on there might be something opening up. Usually people here get hired as event staff, then fill in a few shifts in the back for safety purposes or Packaging shifts. From there they might get offered a full time assistant brewer job. We havn't hired a brewer specifically in the past 4 years (myself being that last one) . Usually people just work their way up as jobs open up, if you are set on being a brewer. There are plenty of other jobs out there though like sales, drivers, logistics, packaging etc....

I'd def try asking Block Three, or Innocente if you are in KW. Not sure about Grand River, but that may be a little far.

I'm also in Kitchener. Hit me up, we can go for a beer sometime.