Looking for the original Bar Towel blog? You can find it at www.thebartowel.com.

We have a trivia question in order to register to prevent bots. If you have any issues with answering, contact us at cass@bartowel.com for help.

Introducing Light Mode! If you would like a Bar Towel social experience that isn't the traditional blue, you can now select Light Mode. Go to the User Control Panel and then Board Preferences, and select "Day Drinking" (Light Mode) from the My Board Style drop-down menu. You can always switch back to "Night Drinking" (Dark Mode). Enjoy!

Labatt buys Millstreet

Discuss beer or anything else that comes to mind in here.

Moderators: Craig, Cass

MetalHead

Labatt buys Millstreet

Post by MetalHead »

http://globalnews.ca/news/2268128/labat ... t-brewery/

I'm surprised this didn't happen sooner.
Beer, not just for breakfast anymore.

ErkLR

Post by ErkLR »

Mill Street isn't an amazing brewer, but they make some decent beers, and they've managed to make headway into a lot of spaces traditionally held by the big guys. I guess that's why they were bought. Too bad, now it's back to all AB Inbev companies sponsoring everything around London.

Tapsucker
Seasoned Drinker

Post by Tapsucker »

I think it's interesting that the press release lists it as Labbats' purchase not InBev. I guess they want to make it seem like a domestic buy to the uninitiated.
Brands are for cattle.
Fans are cash cows.
The herd will consume until consumed.

Masterplan
Bar Fly

Post by Masterplan »

Meh, no real loss, but keep your mitts off Muskoka and Great Lakes...

TheSevenDuffs
Beer Superstar

Post by TheSevenDuffs »

I can't drink Mill Street beer any less then never, so this doesn't impact me at all.

That being said, perhaps soon I won't have to listen to those ridiculous radio ads on the Fan with Joel Manning? Bonus!

Cass
Beer Superstar

Post by Cass »

There were rumours for years. No surprise at all this finally went down.

S. St. Jeb
Seasoned Drinker

Post by S. St. Jeb »

I can give Mill St. some credit for me "re-focussing" on craft beer a few years ago when I had Tank House Ale for the first time at a party. Unfortunately, the last few times I've had it, it doesn't taste like I remember. Quite convinced it changed.

admviolin

Post by admviolin »

I still drink cobblestone stout and the vanilla porter on occasion. Tankhouse is a very different beer compared to what it was but such is life.
Ben Johnson wrote a good article about it.

http://torontolife.com/food/wine-and-be ... beer-fans/

TheSevenDuffs
Beer Superstar

Post by TheSevenDuffs »

admviolin wrote:I still drink cobblestone stout and the vanilla porter on occasion. Tankhouse is a very different beer compared to what it was but such is life.
Ben Johnson wrote a good article about it.

http://torontolife.com/food/wine-and-be ... beer-fans/
That was a very good article.

Winter is Coming

Post by Winter is Coming »

Who will be next? Steam Whistle?

matt7215
Beer Superstar

Post by matt7215 »

Winter is Coming wrote:Who will be next? Steam Whistle?
thats who i thought would go first

Belgian
Bar Towel Legend

Post by Belgian »

Good for them, wish Mill Street success and maybe some great things will come of it. Still wear the tee shirts!
In Beerum Veritas

Winter is Coming

Post by Winter is Coming »

matt7215 wrote:
Does anyone know if Mill Street was larger than Steam Whistle production wise? I've always thought that Steam Whistle was the largest ontario craft brewery by volume produced. It would be interesting to know the top 10 or so. I believe Muskoka are around 3rd place.

MatttthewGeorge
Bar Fly

Post by MatttthewGeorge »

Winter is Coming wrote:
matt7215 wrote:
Does anyone know if Mill Street was larger than Steam Whistle production wise? I've always thought that Steam Whistle was the largest ontario craft brewery by volume produced. It would be interesting to know the top 10 or so. I believe Muskoka are around 3rd place.
From what I've been told by our head office, it's something like:
1. Mill St
2. Steam Whistle
3. Beau's
4. Muskoka
5. Amsterdam
6. Great Lakes
7. Wellington
8. Lake of Bays
9. Flying Monkeys
10. Nickel Brook

3 & 4 could be reversed, as could 5 & 6. 8, 9 & 10 could also be in a different order. But that's the Top 10 and that's pretty close to the output.

Of course this all changes with Mill St gone, with NB's new brewery and when you add in contract brands.
untappd/instacrap/facebitch/snapitychat/etc: @matttthewgeorge

sofakingdrunk
Bar Fly

Post by sofakingdrunk »

S. St. Jeb wrote:I can give Mill St. some credit for me "re-focussing" on craft beer a few years ago when I had Tank House Ale for the first time at a party. Unfortunately, the last few times I've had it, it doesn't taste like I remember. Quite convinced it changed.

I'm with you. Tankhouse was one of the first beers that turned me away from the watery piss I had been drinking(along with hoptical illusion) I Still have a soft spot for it, when stuck for choices but it definitely isn't the same
Last edited by sofakingdrunk on Sun Oct 11, 2015 12:04 am, edited 1 time in total.