Looking for the original Bar Towel blog? You can find it at www.thebartowel.com.

We have a trivia question in order to register to prevent bots. If you have any issues with answering, contact us at cass@bartowel.com for help.

Introducing Light Mode! If you would like a Bar Towel social experience that isn't the traditional blue, you can now select Light Mode. Go to the User Control Panel and then Board Preferences, and select "Day Drinking" (Light Mode) from the My Board Style drop-down menu. You can always switch back to "Night Drinking" (Dark Mode). Enjoy!

GTA Coffee

Discuss beer or anything else that comes to mind in here.

Moderators: Craig, Cass

northyorksammy
Seasoned Drinker

Post by northyorksammy »

Has anyone tried Cuban coffee. Not so much info on it as it is not available in the USA, of course, and they are small producers.
Green Beenery has just brought some in,
Reliable Beer Critic

Craig
Seasoned Drinker

Post by Craig »

I have tried Cuban coffee and I adore it. Not a big fan of the Green Beanery (It's operated by these folks) for political reasons, but it's been available at Thomas Hinds (http://www.thomashinds.ca/) for ages. Unfortunately, last I checked you can only get it roasted and not nearly as fresh as the primo bean places in the city.

northyorksammy
Seasoned Drinker

Post by northyorksammy »

Craig wrote:I have tried Cuban coffee and I adore it. Not a big fan of the Green Beanery (It's operated by these folks) for political reasons, but it's been available at Thomas Hinds (http://www.thomashinds.ca/) for ages. Unfortunately, last I checked you can only get it roasted and not nearly as fresh as the primo bean places in the city.
I dont know about buying coffee beans from a tabbaco store. The Green Beanery has been (pun intended) one of the premier coffee places I have been in my 60 years. The coffee was custom roasted next day for me and has been fabulous, with incidentally a tad of tabacco flavour. Moderate acid hot, I am still cold brewing it tomarrow to get at the flavour range.
Reliable Beer Critic

AugustusRex

Post by AugustusRex »

northyorksammy wrote:
Craig wrote:I have tried Cuban coffee and I adore it. Not a big fan of the Green Beanery (It's operated by these folks) for political reasons, but it's been available at Thomas Hinds (http://www.thomashinds.ca/) for ages. Unfortunately, last I checked you can only get it roasted and not nearly as fresh as the primo bean places in the city.
I dont know about buying coffee beans from a tabbaco store. The Green Beanery has been (pun intended) one of the premier coffee places I have been in my 60 years. The coffee was custom roasted next day for me and has been fabulous, with incidentally a tad of tabacco flavour. Moderate acid hot, I am still cold brewing it tomarrow to get at the flavour range.
How is the cold brewing coming along?

northyorksammy
Seasoned Drinker

Post by northyorksammy »

AugustusRex wrote:
very good
Reliable Beer Critic

Belgian
Bar Towel Legend

Post by Belgian »

northyorksammy wrote:The Green Beanery has been (pun intended) one of the premier coffee places I have been in my 60 years...
I think 'Has Beans" would be a great name for a coffee house that, well, has beans to sell. Truth in advertising.

I envision Has Beans populated by former Toronto punk musicians who later went into real estate or corporate law.
In Beerum Veritas

northyorksammy
Seasoned Drinker

Post by northyorksammy »

northyorksammy wrote:
AugustusRex wrote:
very good
The cuban higher grade was outstanding, certainly among the top coffees we have enjoyed in our lives. Good hot, it was remarkable cold brewed: acid removed and a full flavorful, with a hint of tobacco.
Greenbeanery must have run low in stock as it has disappeared after being on their website but a week.
Reliable Beer Critic

AugustusRex

Post by AugustusRex »

northyorksammy wrote:
northyorksammy wrote:
AugustusRex wrote:
very good
The cuban higher grade was outstanding, certainly among the top coffees we have enjoyed in our lives. Good hot, it was remarkable cold brewed: acid removed and a full flavorful, with a hint of tobacco.
Greenbeanery must have run low in stock as it has disappeared after being on their website but a week.
That's too bad, based on your recommendation I was going to pick some up and roast it myself. How did you have it roasted?

northyorksammy
Seasoned Drinker

Post by northyorksammy »

[/quote]
Greenbeanery must have run low in stock as it has disappeared after being on their website but a week.[/quote]

That's too bad, based on your recommendation I was going to pick some up and roast it myself. How did you have it roasted?[/quote]city roast, more flavour
Reliable Beer Critic

Friar John

Post by Friar John »

New place in Markham just off markham main - Bean around the World.
Pretty fancy and has Kronuts! Not a factory brew there so a little more relaxed. Nice Harrar.

northyorksammy
Seasoned Drinker

Post by northyorksammy »

Friar John wrote:New place in Markham just off markham main - Bean around the World.
Pretty fancy and has Kronuts! Not a factory brew there so a little more relaxed. Nice Harrar.
??
Reliable Beer Critic

northyorksammy
Seasoned Drinker

Post by northyorksammy »

Cuban trio back up on greenbeanery.ca
I ordered a batch of a different cuban to try
Daniel, grab it!
Reliable Beer Critic

AugustusRex

Post by AugustusRex »

northyorksammy wrote:Cuban trio back up on greenbeanery.ca
I ordered a batch of a different cuban to try
Daniel, grab it!
I'll pick up some to roast myself. I haven't roasted anything since the summer, thanks to Pilot. The Mercedes Gesha is absolutely fantastic. I am getting some nice results using my Hario V60 pourover.

northyorksammy
Seasoned Drinker

Post by northyorksammy »

mountain Peru in, very good flavour at city roast
Reliable Beer Critic

AugustusRex

Post by AugustusRex »

northyorksammy wrote:mountain Peru in, very good flavour at city roast
Guatamala Mercedes - Gesha is really nice. I'm having it using the Hario v60 pourover. One of the best I have had from Pilot.