Looking for the original Bar Towel blog? You can find it at www.thebartowel.com.

We have a trivia question in order to register to prevent bots. If you have any issues with answering, contact us at cass@bartowel.com for help.

Introducing Light Mode! If you would like a Bar Towel social experience that isn't the traditional blue, you can now select Light Mode. Go to the User Control Panel and then Board Preferences, and select "Day Drinking" (Light Mode) from the My Board Style drop-down menu. You can always switch back to "Night Drinking" (Dark Mode). Enjoy!

Ontario Announces First Winning Bidders for Sale of Beer in Grocery Stores

Discuss beer or anything else that comes to mind in here.

Moderators: Craig, Cass

spinrsx
Beer Superstar

Ontario Announces First Winning Bidders for Sale of Beer in Grocery Stores

Post by spinrsx »

http://news.ontario.ca/mof/en/2015/11/o ... tores.html

no whole foods, but thats ok - walmart! :roll:

Craig
Seasoned Drinker

Post by Craig »

If any grocers are selling beer before the end of the year, that will be a pleasant surprise. I figured late 2016, because of a bunch of pointless rules.

Coronaeus

Post by Coronaeus »

From the list, I am hopeful that Longos has a craft oriented selection. They seem to embrace craft beer at their "corks" locations, at least on a limited scale.

napoleon

Post by napoleon »

spinrsx wrote: no whole foods, but thats ok - walmart! :roll:
Whole Foods does such a good job with beer in the US. It's really impressive.

Craig
Seasoned Drinker

Post by Craig »

Coronaeus wrote:From the list, I am hopeful that Longos has a craft oriented selection. They seem to embrace craft beer at their "corks" locations, at least on a limited scale.
Farm Boy sounds most promising to me, not that it helps me at all since they don't have any locations in Toronto.

Cass
Beer Superstar

Post by Cass »

No Whole Foods is surprising. But I wonder if they purposely didn't submit as they knew they couldn't deliver on their 'brand' with the Ontario rules. But it's a shame as they would have held themselves to a higher standard than the others. I hope they others prove me wrong.

nickw

Post by nickw »

Cass wrote:No Whole Foods is surprising. But I wonder if they purposely didn't submit as they knew they couldn't deliver on their 'brand' with the Ontario rules. But it's a shame as they would have held themselves to a higher standard than the others. I hope they others prove me wrong.
It's also just the first round of winning bids. Perhaps they're waiting to see what the others do first before filling any holes they see fit?

Masterplan
Bar Fly

Post by Masterplan »

I should open a 'grocery' store. Get a couple racks of non perishable foods. Set the prices unreasonably high so nobody buys them, and thus I don't have to worry about restocking them too often. Then start just selling beer...

Wonder what the minimum standard to be considered a grocery store is?

nickw

Post by nickw »

Masterplan wrote:I should open a 'grocery' store. Get a couple racks of non perishable foods. Set the prices unreasonably high so nobody buys them, and thus I don't have to worry about restocking them too often. Then start just selling beer...

Wonder what the minimum standard to be considered a grocery store is?

To be eligible to sell beer, each grocery store must meet a number of characteristics:
  • Location sells a full line of food products;
    A minimum of 10,000 square feet of retail space is occupied by food products; and
    Location is not primarily considered a pharmacy.
Edit:

A "full line of food products" means:

1. The store offers a variety of each of the following types of food products for sale:
i. Canned food.
ii. Dry food.
iii. Frozen food.
iv. Fresh fruit.
v. Fresh vegetables.
vi. Fresh meats.
vii. Prepared meats.
viii. Fish.
ix. Poultry.
x. Dairy products.
xi. Baked goods.
xii. Snack foods.

Craig
Seasoned Drinker

Post by Craig »

Because God help us all if someone sells beer in Ontario that isn't a foreign brewer or someone who also sells frozen fruit.

Belgian
Bar Towel Legend

Post by Belgian »

Cass wrote:No Whole Foods is surprising. But I wonder if they purposely didn't submit as they knew they couldn't deliver on their 'brand' with the Ontario rules. But it's a shame as they would have held themselves to a higher standard than the others. I hope they others prove me wrong.
Whole Foods would have made everyone look like complete fucking idiots, playing into The Beer Store's corrupt system of Corporate Welfare. The provincial dick-tators could not have allowed Whole Foods into the game, because they all want the game to suck badly for the sake of protecting TBS.

There I said it.
In Beerum Veritas

Belgian
Bar Towel Legend

Post by Belgian »

Craig wrote:Because God help us all if someone sells beer in Ontario that isn't a foreign brewer or someone who also sells frozen fruit.
Craig stop freaking me out man, I really need to buy frozen yogurt pops and badly-made food to go wherever I buy beer from now on.
In Beerum Veritas

grub
Seasoned Drinker

Post by grub »

nickw wrote:To be eligible to sell beer, each grocery store must meet a number of characteristics:
    A minimum of 10,000 square feet of retail space is occupied by food products; and
gee, i wonder if the macros behind TBS wrote this up specifically to stop the suggested little "craft beer stores" with a single rack of food. seems a little too convenient for them - after all, what would be the harm in allowing small stores otherwise?
@grubextrapolate // @biergotter // http://biergotter.org/

napoleon

Post by napoleon »

grub wrote:
nickw wrote:To be eligible to sell beer, each grocery store must meet a number of characteristics:
gee, i wonder if the macros behind TBS wrote this up specifically to stop the suggested little "craft beer stores" with a single rack of food. seems a little too convenient for them - after all, what would be the harm in allowing small stores otherwise?
The 10,000 square feet rule rules out most moderate-size grocery stores. Not sure how many mom and pop stores are bigger than that.

cratez
Beer Superstar

Post by cratez »

Farm Boy and Longo's might hold some promise, but the rest will likely stock as much macro beer as they can get away with. Did I read somewhere that the grocery stores, like The Beer Store, will have to devote at least 20 percent of their shelf space to craft beer? Also wondering if Whole Foods is merely holding out for now and will throw their hat in the ring at some point.
Last edited by cratez on Thu Aug 15, 2019 2:29 pm, edited 1 time in total.
"Bar people do not live as long as vegan joggers. However, they have more fun." - Bruce Elliott