Ontario Announces First Winning Bidders for Sale of Beer in Grocery Stores

Discuss beer or anything else that comes to mind in here.

Moderators: GregClow, Cass

nickw
Posts: 228
Joined: Mon Sep 13, 2010 7:56 pm

Re: Ontario Announces First Winning Bidders for Sale of Beer in Grocery Stores

Postby nickw » Thu Nov 19, 2015 11:22 am

I've actually got no real conception of what 10,000 square feet looks like in grocery store form. Does anyone have a better idea, using stores in the downtown Toronto area as comparables?
User avatar
admviolin
Posts: 263
Joined: Thu Apr 05, 2012 4:35 pm
Location: Toronto
Contact:

Re: Ontario Announces First Winning Bidders for Sale of Beer in Grocery Stores

Postby admviolin » Thu Nov 19, 2015 12:06 pm

nickw wrote:I've actually got no real conception of what 10,000 square feet looks like in grocery store form. Does anyone have a better idea, using stores in the downtown Toronto area as comparables?


Can we use Rabba foods as a unit of measurement? I think 10k square feet would be about two Rabbas :)
Even the smallest No Frills I can think of exceeds 10k. Maybe about the size of a Shoppers Drug Mart?
Masterplan
Posts: 478
Joined: Tue Oct 30, 2012 10:00 am

Re: Ontario Announces First Winning Bidders for Sale of Beer in Grocery Stores

Postby Masterplan » Thu Nov 19, 2015 12:40 pm

nickw wrote:I've actually got no real conception of what 10,000 square feet looks like in grocery store form. Does anyone have a better idea, using stores in the downtown Toronto area as comparables?


100 feet by 100 feet? Roughly the size of two suburban residential lots.
User avatar
Cass
Beer Superstar
Posts: 3299
Joined: Sun Jun 17, 2001 7:00 pm
Location: Toronto
Contact:

Re: Ontario Announces First Winning Bidders for Sale of Beer in Grocery Stores

Postby Cass » Mon Nov 23, 2015 11:21 am

Masterplan wrote:I should open a 'grocery' store. Get a couple racks of non perishable foods. Set the prices unreasonably high so nobody buys them, and thus I don't have to worry about restocking them too often. Then start just selling beer...

Wonder what the minimum standard to be considered a grocery store is?


I really did contemplate submitting a bid with a grocery store idea. But it was clear that they wanted real stores, and the rules imposed (size of store, etc.) prohibited the type of place I'd want to open (a small neighbourhood store, a la Publican Quality Meats in Chicago). It's classic Ontario, locking out any kind of entrepreneurial possibility within the business of beer when it comes to retail. Yet another time I have to say "It's a shame" with beer here.
BlackRedGold
Posts: 65
Joined: Fri Dec 06, 2013 4:37 pm

Re: Ontario Announces First Winning Bidders for Sale of Beer in Grocery Stores

Postby BlackRedGold » Tue Nov 24, 2015 12:44 am

cratez wrote:Farm Boy and Longo's might hold some promise, but the rest will likely stock as much macro beer as they can get away with.


Sobey's might be decent as well. Some, but not all, of their IGA stores in Quebec have a really solid craft beer selection.
BlackRedGold
Posts: 65
Joined: Fri Dec 06, 2013 4:37 pm

Re: Ontario Announces First Winning Bidders for Sale of Beer in Grocery Stores

Postby BlackRedGold » Tue Nov 24, 2015 12:58 am

nickw wrote:I've actually got no real conception of what 10,000 square feet looks like in grocery store form. Does anyone have a better idea, using stores in the downtown Toronto area as comparables?


A standard freestanding LCBO store is around 8,000-10,000 square feet.
User avatar
grub
Seasoned Drinker
Posts: 1403
Joined: Fri Sep 15, 2006 2:16 pm
Location: Biergötter Homebrew Club, Brantford
Contact:

Re: Ontario Announces First Winning Bidders for Sale of Beer in Grocery Stores

Postby grub » Tue Nov 24, 2015 10:09 am

Cass wrote:I really did contemplate submitting a bid with a grocery store idea. But it was clear that they wanted real stores, and the rules imposed (size of store, etc.) prohibited the type of place I'd want to open (a small neighbourhood store, a la Publican Quality Meats in Chicago). It's classic Ontario, locking out any kind of entrepreneurial possibility within the business of beer when it comes to retail. Yet another time I have to say "It's a shame" with beer here.


I think the LCBO/TBS people crafting those policies must have read your posts on the subject. it's a conspiracy, i tell ya!
@grubextrapolate // @biergotter // http://biergotter.org/
User avatar
spinrsx
Beer Superstar
Posts: 2249
Joined: Tue Sep 21, 2010 11:27 am
Location: Ottawa

Re: Ontario Announces First Winning Bidders for Sale of Beer in Grocery Stores

Postby spinrsx » Tue Nov 24, 2015 2:29 pm

can someone remind me, will this grocery store stuff result in any type of NEW beers that we won't/don't have at the lcbo/beerstore?
User avatar
Craig
Seasoned Drinker
Posts: 1670
Joined: Wed Apr 10, 2013 9:23 am

Re: Ontario Announces First Winning Bidders for Sale of Beer in Grocery Stores

Postby Craig » Tue Nov 24, 2015 2:34 pm

spinrsx wrote:can someone remind me, will this grocery store stuff result in any type of NEW beers that we won't/don't have at the lcbo/beerstore?


No. Everything they sell has to come from the 'BO or TBS.

There's a chance that a grocery chain could go get an import license and start bringing in exclusive offerings (which would still have to come through the LCBO, but wouldn't hit LCBO shelves) but we haven't had any indication yet that any grocers are planning to bother with that.
BlackRedGold
Posts: 65
Joined: Fri Dec 06, 2013 4:37 pm

Re: Ontario Announces First Winning Bidders for Sale of Beer in Grocery Stores

Postby BlackRedGold » Tue Nov 24, 2015 10:49 pm

Craig wrote:
spinrsx wrote:can someone remind me, will this grocery store stuff result in any type of NEW beers that we won't/don't have at the lcbo/beerstore?


No. Everything they sell has to come from the 'BO or TBS.

There's a chance that a grocery chain could go get an import license and start bringing in exclusive offerings (which would still have to come through the LCBO, but wouldn't hit LCBO shelves) but we haven't had any indication yet that any grocers are planning to bother with that.


So a grocery store couldn't go to an Ontario brewery , say Bellwoods, and ask them to start supplying them through the LCBO?
User avatar
Craig
Seasoned Drinker
Posts: 1670
Joined: Wed Apr 10, 2013 9:23 am

Re: Ontario Announces First Winning Bidders for Sale of Beer in Grocery Stores

Postby Craig » Wed Nov 25, 2015 9:34 am

BlackRedGold wrote:
Craig wrote:
spinrsx wrote:can someone remind me, will this grocery store stuff result in any type of NEW beers that we won't/don't have at the lcbo/beerstore?


No. Everything they sell has to come from the 'BO or TBS.

There's a chance that a grocery chain could go get an import license and start bringing in exclusive offerings (which would still have to come through the LCBO, but wouldn't hit LCBO shelves) but we haven't had any indication yet that any grocers are planning to bother with that.


So a grocery store couldn't go to an Ontario brewery , say Bellwoods, and ask them to start supplying them through the LCBO?


Dunno. The LCBO might have a mechanism to "import" Ontario beers, but I'm not aware of it. That's a good question.
User avatar
MatttthewGeorge
Bar Fly
Posts: 759
Joined: Tue Apr 03, 2012 3:45 pm
Location: Woolwich, ON
Contact:

Re: Ontario Announces First Winning Bidders for Sale of Beer in Grocery Stores

Postby MatttthewGeorge » Wed Nov 25, 2015 6:12 pm

Actually the answer is yes... so far. While it's true that it must go through the LCBO, that's just the listing. So what you'll see happen is a company list a product with the LCBO but not have that product actually in any LCBOs. It's a picking sheet for the grocery stores, essentially.
untappd/tweetbox/facebitch/snapitychat/etc: @matttthewgeorge
User avatar
Craig
Seasoned Drinker
Posts: 1670
Joined: Wed Apr 10, 2013 9:23 am

Re: Ontario Announces First Winning Bidders for Sale of Beer in Grocery Stores

Postby Craig » Wed Nov 25, 2015 8:50 pm

How easy is that to do? Like are there any listing fees or a 6 month delay for lab testing?
User avatar
skootles
Posts: 200
Joined: Thu Jul 17, 2014 4:55 pm
Location: Toronto

Re: Ontario Announces First Winning Bidders for Sale of Beer in Grocery Stores

Postby skootles » Thu Nov 26, 2015 1:30 pm

admviolin wrote:
nickw wrote:I've actually got no real conception of what 10,000 square feet looks like in grocery store form. Does anyone have a better idea, using stores in the downtown Toronto area as comparables?


Can we use Rabba foods as a unit of measurement? I think 10k square feet would be about two Rabbas :)
Even the smallest No Frills I can think of exceeds 10k. Maybe about the size of a Shoppers Drug Mart?

Hah, when I saw the 10,000 sq ft rule I got really sad. I had a little bit of hope that my local Rabba would have a remote chance of stocking some beers.
Masterplan
Posts: 478
Joined: Tue Oct 30, 2012 10:00 am

Re: Ontario Announces First Winning Bidders for Sale of Beer in Grocery Stores

Postby Masterplan » Thu Nov 26, 2015 2:06 pm

So when my lotto max ticket comes in, looks like I'll tack on a food market to my brewery operation...

Return to “Random Talk”

Who is online

Users browsing this forum: No registered users and 12 guests

cron