Ontario Announces First Winning Bidders for Sale of Beer in Grocery Stores

Discuss beer or anything else that comes to mind in here.

Moderators: GregClow, Cass

nickw

Re: Ontario Announces First Winning Bidders for Sale of Beer in Grocery Stores

Postby nickw » Thu Nov 19, 2015 11:22 am

I've actually got no real conception of what 10,000 square feet looks like in grocery store form. Does anyone have a better idea, using stores in the downtown Toronto area as comparables?
admviolin

Postby admviolin » Thu Nov 19, 2015 12:06 pm

nickw wrote:I've actually got no real conception of what 10,000 square feet looks like in grocery store form. Does anyone have a better idea, using stores in the downtown Toronto area as comparables?

Can we use Rabba foods as a unit of measurement? I think 10k square feet would be about two Rabbas :)
Even the smallest No Frills I can think of exceeds 10k. Maybe about the size of a Shoppers Drug Mart?
Masterplan

Postby Masterplan » Thu Nov 19, 2015 12:40 pm

nickw wrote:I've actually got no real conception of what 10,000 square feet looks like in grocery store form. Does anyone have a better idea, using stores in the downtown Toronto area as comparables?

100 feet by 100 feet? Roughly the size of two suburban residential lots.
Cass
Beer Superstar

Postby Cass » Mon Nov 23, 2015 11:21 am

Masterplan wrote:I should open a 'grocery' store. Get a couple racks of non perishable foods. Set the prices unreasonably high so nobody buys them, and thus I don't have to worry about restocking them too often. Then start just selling beer...

Wonder what the minimum standard to be considered a grocery store is?

I really did contemplate submitting a bid with a grocery store idea. But it was clear that they wanted real stores, and the rules imposed (size of store, etc.) prohibited the type of place I'd want to open (a small neighbourhood store, a la Publican Quality Meats in Chicago). It's classic Ontario, locking out any kind of entrepreneurial possibility within the business of beer when it comes to retail. Yet another time I have to say "It's a shame" with beer here.
BlackRedGold

Postby BlackRedGold » Tue Nov 24, 2015 12:44 am

cratez wrote:Farm Boy and Longo's might hold some promise, but the rest will likely stock as much macro beer as they can get away with.

Sobey's might be decent as well. Some, but not all, of their IGA stores in Quebec have a really solid craft beer selection.
BlackRedGold

Postby BlackRedGold » Tue Nov 24, 2015 12:58 am

A standard freestanding LCBO store is around 8,000-10,000 square feet.
grub
Seasoned Drinker

Postby grub » Tue Nov 24, 2015 10:09 am

Cass wrote:I really did contemplate submitting a bid with a grocery store idea. But it was clear that they wanted real stores, and the rules imposed (size of store, etc.) prohibited the type of place I'd want to open (a small neighbourhood store, a la Publican Quality Meats in Chicago). It's classic Ontario, locking out any kind of entrepreneurial possibility within the business of beer when it comes to retail. Yet another time I have to say "It's a shame" with beer here.

I think the LCBO/TBS people crafting those policies must have read your posts on the subject. it's a conspiracy, i tell ya!
@grubextrapolate // @biergotter // http://biergotter.org/
spinrsx
Beer Superstar

Postby spinrsx » Tue Nov 24, 2015 2:29 pm

can someone remind me, will this grocery store stuff result in any type of NEW beers that we won't/don't have at the lcbo/beerstore?
Craig
Seasoned Drinker

Postby Craig » Tue Nov 24, 2015 2:34 pm

spinrsx wrote:can someone remind me, will this grocery store stuff result in any type of NEW beers that we won't/don't have at the lcbo/beerstore?

No. Everything they sell has to come from the 'BO or TBS.

There's a chance that a grocery chain could go get an import license and start bringing in exclusive offerings (which would still have to come through the LCBO, but wouldn't hit LCBO shelves) but we haven't had any indication yet that any grocers are planning to bother with that.
BlackRedGold

Postby BlackRedGold » Tue Nov 24, 2015 10:49 pm

Craig wrote:
spinrsx wrote:can someone remind me, will this grocery store stuff result in any type of NEW beers that we won't/don't have at the lcbo/beerstore?

There's a chance that a grocery chain could go get an import license and start bringing in exclusive offerings (which would still have to come through the LCBO, but wouldn't hit LCBO shelves) but we haven't had any indication yet that any grocers are planning to bother with that.

So a grocery store couldn't go to an Ontario brewery , say Bellwoods, and ask them to start supplying them through the LCBO?
Craig
Seasoned Drinker

Postby Craig » Wed Nov 25, 2015 9:34 am

BlackRedGold wrote:
Craig wrote:

So a grocery store couldn't go to an Ontario brewery , say Bellwoods, and ask them to start supplying them through the LCBO?

Dunno. The LCBO might have a mechanism to "import" Ontario beers, but I'm not aware of it. That's a good question.
MatttthewGeorge
Bar Fly

Postby MatttthewGeorge » Wed Nov 25, 2015 6:12 pm

Actually the answer is yes... so far. While it's true that it must go through the LCBO, that's just the listing. So what you'll see happen is a company list a product with the LCBO but not have that product actually in any LCBOs. It's a picking sheet for the grocery stores, essentially.
untappd/tweetbox/facebitch/snapitychat/etc: @matttthewgeorge
Craig
Seasoned Drinker

Postby Craig » Wed Nov 25, 2015 8:50 pm

How easy is that to do? Like are there any listing fees or a 6 month delay for lab testing?
skootles

Postby skootles » Thu Nov 26, 2015 1:30 pm

admviolin wrote:

Can we use Rabba foods as a unit of measurement? I think 10k square feet would be about two Rabbas :)
Even the smallest No Frills I can think of exceeds 10k. Maybe about the size of a Shoppers Drug Mart?

Hah, when I saw the 10,000 sq ft rule I got really sad. I had a little bit of hope that my local Rabba would have a remote chance of stocking some beers.
Masterplan

Postby Masterplan » Thu Nov 26, 2015 2:06 pm

So when my lotto max ticket comes in, looks like I'll tack on a food market to my brewery operation...

Return to “Random Talk”