Looking for the original Bar Towel blog? You can find it at www.thebartowel.com.

We have a trivia question in order to register to prevent bots. If you have any issues with answering, contact us at cass@bartowel.com for help.

Introducing Light Mode! If you would like a Bar Towel social experience that isn't the traditional blue, you can now select Light Mode. Go to the User Control Panel and then Board Preferences, and select "Day Drinking" (Light Mode) from the My Board Style drop-down menu. You can always switch back to "Night Drinking" (Dark Mode). Enjoy!

Ontario Announces First Winning Bidders for Sale of Beer in Grocery Stores

Discuss beer or anything else that comes to mind in here.

Moderators: Craig, Cass

Craig
Seasoned Drinker

Post by Craig »

skootles wrote:
admviolin wrote:
nickw wrote:I've actually got no real conception of what 10,000 square feet looks like in grocery store form. Does anyone have a better idea, using stores in the downtown Toronto area as comparables?
Can we use Rabba foods as a unit of measurement? I think 10k square feet would be about two Rabbas :)
Even the smallest No Frills I can think of exceeds 10k. Maybe about the size of a Shoppers Drug Mart?
Hah, when I saw the 10,000 sq ft rule I got really sad. I had a little bit of hope that my local Rabba would have a remote chance of stocking some beers.
The odds of a Rabba winning an auction were pretty slim anyway. But it's pretty likely the current plan for 350 stores or whatever is just an intermediary step. Eventually they'll have to open it up to other places too.

Tapsucker
Seasoned Drinker

Post by Tapsucker »

I haven't read the details of the new legislation myself, so correct me if I am wrong, but somewhere I did notice that these grocers will still have to source their beer via the TBS. Can breweries sell direct to these stores or will they still be required to list, distribute through and pay a cut to the TBS?

If so, I call bullshit on this whole process.
Brands are for cattle.
Fans are cash cows.
The herd will consume until consumed.

Craig
Seasoned Drinker

Post by Craig »

We covered that just a few posts ago. They can source from the 'BO.

Craig
Seasoned Drinker

Post by Craig »

Ben with the scoop!

http://bensbeerblog.com/2015/12/11/lobl ... eer-sales/

- Beer in Loblaws as of the 18th.
- 50% shelf space for craft (!)

Beers:

The craft beer that will be available in Loblaws stores as of next weekend will include:
Amsterdam Brewing Co’s Boneshaker IPA;
Beau’s All-Natural Brewing Co’s Kissmeyer Nordic Pale Ale, The Tom Green Beer Milk Stout, and Lugtread Lagered Ale;
Brick Brewery’s Waterloo Dark;
Collective Arts Brewery’s Rhyme and Reason Pale Ale;
Double Trouble Brewing Co’s Hops and Robbers IPA;
Flying Monkey’s Hoptical Illusion;
Great Lakes Brewery’s Canuck Pale Ale and Pompous Ass Pale Ale;
Junction Craft Brewing’s Conductor’s Craft Ale;
Lake of Bays’ Spark House Red Ale;
Muskoka Brewery’s Detour Session IPA and Mad Tom IPA;
Nickel Brook’s Headstock IPA;
Side Launch Brewing’s Side Launch Wheat; and
Steam Whistle Premium Pilsner.

Stores:

In the GTA, the list of Loblaws stores to carry beer will be:

The Newmarket Superstore;
The Georgetown Superstore;
Loblaws Burnamthorpe Market;
Loblaws Victoria Park;
The Oshawa Superstore;
The Dufferin & Steeles Superstore; and
Loblaws at Leslie and Lakeshore

In the East, the stores that will sell beer are:

The South Kanata Superstore;
Loblaws College Square Market in Ottawa;
The Loblaws Princess Market in Kingston; and
Browns Independent Grocer in Stittsville.

In the West, the stores with beer will be:

Highland Hills Superstore in Kitchener;
Oakridge Mall Superstore in London;
Zehrs Cambridge Centre;
Walker Road Superstore in Windsor; the
The Fortinos Supermarket on Mall Road in Hamilton

In the North, the Thunder Bay Superstore will be the lone Loblaws to sell beer.

Masterplan
Bar Fly

Post by Masterplan »

So great they'll have an every lcbo selection... In kingston the Bo is 1 min drive from that boblawblog.

portwood

Post by portwood »

As with all first steps after deregulating anything previously government controlled, the beer list is ho hum - nothing new.

The exciting part is for the future. Once other retailers get a taste of the sales/profit potential, the floodgates will open. The retail lobby will pressure the gov to expand the program ... there will be no "going back" for the crappy Beer Store and kgbo. In order to maintain their margins TBS & KGBO will have to up their game and offer more of what people want (unique craft offerings), more conveniently (i.e. home delivery), or die a slow death as the grocery stores sell tons of the high volume stuff
@markhamwhisky

napoleon

Post by napoleon »

portwood wrote:As with all first steps after deregulating anything previously government controlled, the beer list is ho hum - nothing new.

The exciting part is for the future. Once other retailers get a taste of the sales/profit potential, the floodgates will open. The retail lobby will pressure the gov to expand the program ... there will be no "going back" for the crappy Beer Store and kgbo. In order to maintain their margins TBS & KGBO will have to up their game and offer more of what people want (unique craft offerings), more conveniently (i.e. home delivery), or die a slow death as the grocery stores sell tons of the high volume stuff
I do really hope you're right. The list is pretty meh. For me to be excited about this, they really need to find a way to differentiate their offerings going forward.

cratez
Beer Superstar

Post by cratez »

While it's unfortunate that the initial selection is identical to any decent LCBO in Anywhere, Ontario, it's encouraging that Loblaws has decided to devote 50% of its beer shelf space to craft brands, and I suspect the selection will improve over time. Seems like a good start IMO, especially for a major, non-specialty grocer like Loblaws. I wonder if most/all of the beer will be refrigerated?
"Bar people do not live as long as vegan joggers. However, they have more fun." - Bruce Elliott

nickw

Post by nickw »

cratez wrote:While it's unfortunate that the initial selection is identical to any decent LCBO in Anywhere, Ontario, it's encouraging that Loblaws has decided to devote 50% of its beer shelf space to craft brands, and I suspect the selection will improve over time. Seems like a good start IMO, especially for a major, non-specialty grocer like Loblaws. I wonder if most/all of the beer will be refrigerated?
I hope it's this, but my cynical thoughts are that, after a few months, and if sales of the macros at certain stores vastly outsell the craft, the opposite might happen. After all, it's great PR to announce a dedication of 50% to craft as sales roll out, but it'd be easy to roll it back after time to far less notice.

But fingers crossed this is just the start of a positive move...

portwood

Post by portwood »

nickw wrote:
cratez wrote:While it's unfortunate that the initial selection is identical to any decent LCBO in Anywhere, Ontario, it's encouraging that Loblaws has decided to devote 50% of its beer shelf space to craft brands, and I suspect the selection will improve over time. Seems like a good start IMO, especially for a major, non-specialty grocer like Loblaws. I wonder if most/all of the beer will be refrigerated?
I hope it's this, but my cynical thoughts are that, after a few months, and if sales of the macros at certain stores vastly outsell the craft, the opposite might happen. After all, it's great PR to announce a dedication of 50% to craft as sales roll out, but it'd be easy to roll it back after time to far less notice.

I don't know the numbers but suspect Loblaws shoppers buy more "premium" products than the average grocery shopper (similar to Whole Paycheque, errr WFoods). To me that means they are more likely to buy micro than macro brews (Molson Canadian, Bud, et al). Time will tell, though.
@markhamwhisky

nickw

Post by nickw »

portwood wrote:
nickw wrote:

I don't know the numbers but suspect Loblaws shoppers buy more "premium" products than the average grocery shopper (similar to Whole Paycheque, errr WFoods). To me that means they are more likely to buy micro than macro brews (Molson Canadian, Bud, et al). Time will tell, though.
Yeah, this will be interesting to watch unfold.

Swampale

Post by Swampale »

Ontario still needs their own Craft Beer stores.
TaxFreeBeerTastesBetter

spinrsx
Beer Superstar

Post by spinrsx »

would a grocery store be able to handle expired beers differently than the lcbo? For example, the grocery store puts on a 'reduced 50%' on a loaf of bread that is about to expire, could they do the same for their beer?

What does the lcbo do with expired beer anyways? I see it there on the shelf often.. do they just let it sit until it sells?

this might add a bonus to the beer at the grocery store thing.. same products as the lcbo - but better freshness? (and possibly more of it being refrigerated?)

Craig
Seasoned Drinker

Post by Craig »

They have to sell at the same prices as TBS/LCBO, so I don't think you're going to see much in the way of sales of any sort on beer.

Masterplan
Bar Fly

Post by Masterplan »

Could be interesting with stores having always fresh guarantees...