Looking for the original Bar Towel blog? You can find it at www.thebartowel.com.

We have a trivia question in order to register to prevent bots. If you have any issues with answering, contact us at cass@bartowel.com for help.

Introducing Light Mode! If you would like a Bar Towel social experience that isn't the traditional blue, you can now select Light Mode. Go to the User Control Panel and then Board Preferences, and select "Day Drinking" (Light Mode) from the My Board Style drop-down menu. You can always switch back to "Night Drinking" (Dark Mode). Enjoy!

Ontario Announces First Winning Bidders for Sale of Beer in Grocery Stores

Discuss beer or anything else that comes to mind in here.

Moderators: Craig, Cass

lister
Beer Superstar

Post by lister »

Craig wrote:They have to sell at the same prices as TBS/LCBO, so I don't think you're going to see much in the way of sales of any sort on beer.
Doesn't mean they can't offer some amount of points or price discounts of other products if the expired beer is purchased.
lister

spinrsx
Beer Superstar

Post by spinrsx »

free slim jims with purchase of 6 expired shock tops

MatttthewGeorge
Bar Fly

Post by MatttthewGeorge »

Loblaws starts selling tomorrow. I was just at the Georgetown store and they were bringing out the beer.
I used to sell beer. Now I don't.

Craig
Seasoned Drinker

Post by Craig »

MatttthewGeorge wrote:Loblaws starts selling tomorrow. I was just at the Georgetown store and they were bringing out the beer.
Where are they selling from? I was under the impression that they had to sell from a physically separate place, like the Wine Rack stores do, but I couldn't see anywhere in the Leslie one that looked like it would be able to do so within a week.

MatttthewGeorge
Bar Fly

This store has the beer on end aisles that they can lock up during non selling hours.

Craig
Seasoned Drinker

Post by Craig »

Interesting. I thought they had to be sold through a separate cashier too. Maybe they got that changed at some point? I hope so, It's a stupid rule.

Kish84
Bar Fly

Post by Kish84 »

The Highland Hills Superstore has the best infrastructure to handle this in Kitchener, but there's a fucking beer store in the same parking lot. Any other stores that are in the same plaza/parking lot as an LCBO/TBS?
"There's always money in the banana stand."

skootles

Post by skootles »

Kish84 wrote:The Highland Hills Superstore has the best infrastructure to handle this in Kitchener, but there's a fucking beer store in the same parking lot. Any other stores that are in the same plaza/parking lot as an LCBO/TBS?
Off the top of my head, the College Square Loblaws in Ottawa is in the same plaza as a Beer Store, and the Independent in Stittsville is just down the street (~1 min drive including traffic lights) from an LCBO.

MatttthewGeorge
Bar Fly

Kish84 wrote:The Highland Hills Superstore has the best infrastructure to handle this in Kitchener, but there's a fucking beer store in the same parking lot. Any other stores that are in the same plaza/parking lot as an LCBO/TBS?
Oakridge Loblaws in London has a TBS in the parking lot.

I'm delivering to one of the 3 Farmboys in London on Thursday but I don't know which location was selected. 2 of the 3 have a LCBO/TBS in the same plaza do hopefully it's the third one.

Kish84
Bar Fly

Post by Kish84 »

MatttthewGeorge wrote:I'm delivering to one of the 3 Farmboys in London on Thursday but I don't know which location was selected. 2 of the 3 have a LCBO/TBS in the same plaza do hopefully it's the third one.
Interesting, I thought it was just Loblaws stores for now. Any word on if the new Farm Boy in Kitchener will be carrying yet?

BlackRedGold

Post by BlackRedGold »

skootles wrote:
Off the top of my head, the College Square Loblaws in Ottawa is in the same plaza as a Beer Store, and the Independent in Stittsville is just down the street (~1 min drive including traffic lights) from an LCBO.
The College Square Loblaws is also only separated from an LCBO by a roadway in the plaza. I was in that location today and noticed a closed display on an end aisle with the hours beer is available listed. If that's the only place beer will be, it's a much smaller section than I was expected.

The south Kanata Superstore has a Beer Store just across from the parking lot even though it isn't in the same plaza.

Kish84
Bar Fly

Post by Kish84 »

Someone that works at the Highland Hills RCSS, said they were setting up a refrigerated area tonight.

Also, he said not to quote him but hours for sales would be 9-11 Mon-sat, 11-7 on Sunday's. I was under the impression it was going to be lcbo hours.

sofakingdrunk
Bar Fly

Post by sofakingdrunk »

Twof of he zehrs in Guelph have lcbos within the same plaza and one of those has a beer store across the road.

MatttthewGeorge
Bar Fly

Kish84 wrote:
MatttthewGeorge wrote:I'm delivering to one of the 3 Farmboys in London on Thursday but I don't know which location was selected. 2 of the 3 have a LCBO/TBS in the same plaza do hopefully it's the third one.
Interesting, I thought it was just Loblaws stores for now. Any word on if the new Farm Boy in Kitchener will be carrying yet?
No, the only Farm Boy's for the first round are in London, Ottawa and Whitby.

sofakingdrunk wrote:Twof of he zehrs in Guelph have lcbos within the same plaza and one of those has a beer store across the road.
No Guelph stores were selected this round though.