Toronto Brewery District

Discuss beer or anything else that comes to mind in here.

Moderators: GregClow, Cass

atomeyes
Beer Superstar
Posts: 2151
Joined: Fri Oct 14, 2011 12:39 pm

Toronto Brewery District

Postby atomeyes » Tue Jan 26, 2016 2:48 pm

probably the most LOLworthy thing in 2016, unless Parkdale actually puts out a product
User avatar
MatttthewGeorge
Bar Fly
Posts: 795
Joined: Tue Apr 03, 2012 3:45 pm
Location: Woolwich, ON
Contact:

Re: Toronto Brewery District

Postby MatttthewGeorge » Tue Jan 26, 2016 4:22 pm

Tell me if I missed something and/or got something wrong, but from what I can figure out:

Henderson Brewing has proposed a "Brewery District" in which, of course, they would be located within. A couple of Toronto breweries outside of this "district" are upset because (a) they aren't in it, (b) they feel Toronto doesn't need a brewery district and should just promote all the breweries in the city, and (c) Henderson has just released their first beer (contract for now?) and are using this "district" idea to self-promote their own beer launch.

About right?
untappd/tweetbox/facebitch/snapitychat/etc: @matttthewgeorge
User avatar
Craig
Seasoned Drinker
Posts: 1732
Joined: Wed Apr 10, 2013 9:23 am

Re: Toronto Brewery District

Postby Craig » Tue Jan 26, 2016 4:35 pm

I hadn't actually heard any complaints, who's upset? The big guys out in Etobicoke?

I guess it's a decent enough concept if they can leverage it for marketing like the Niagara region has for wine, but I'm not sure that will work the same if you're just highlighting a chunk of Toronto like that. If they can pull off the marketing, more power to them, I guess. If nothing else, it's nice to see that the guys who are in competition with each other in the area can all get along well enough to do stuff like this. In other industries groups that close together would be at each other's throats.
MattS
Posts: 38
Joined: Mon May 04, 2015 8:59 am
Location: Meaford

Re: Toronto Brewery District

Postby MattS » Tue Jan 26, 2016 8:05 pm

MatttthewGeorge wrote:Tell me if I missed something and/or got something wrong, but from what I can figure out:

Henderson Brewing has proposed a "Brewery District" in which, of course, they would be located within. A couple of Toronto breweries outside of this "district" are upset because (a) they aren't in it, (b) they feel Toronto doesn't need a brewery district and should just promote all the breweries in the city, and (c) Henderson has just released their first beer (contract for now?) and are using this "district" idea to self-promote their own beer launch.

About right?


Nearly. Don't think anyone is disputing the value of the idea, but just the way it's been gone about. An idea that doesn't seem to have been discussed much has, as far as I can make out, been laid out as all agreed and including lots of logos of people who aren't actually on board.
User avatar
admviolin
Posts: 266
Joined: Thu Apr 05, 2012 4:35 pm
Location: Toronto
Contact:

Re: Toronto Brewery District

Postby admviolin » Wed Jan 27, 2016 5:32 am

MattS wrote:
MatttthewGeorge wrote:Tell me if I missed something and/or got something wrong, but from what I can figure out:

Henderson Brewing has proposed a "Brewery District" in which, of course, they would be located within. A couple of Toronto breweries outside of this "district" are upset because (a) they aren't in it, (b) they feel Toronto doesn't need a brewery district and should just promote all the breweries in the city, and (c) Henderson has just released their first beer (contract for now?) and are using this "district" idea to self-promote their own beer launch.

About right?


Nearly. Don't think anyone is disputing the value of the idea, but just the way it's been gone about. An idea that doesn't seem to have been discussed much has, as far as I can make out, been laid out as all agreed and including lots of logos of people who aren't actually on board.


Yeah, I was wondering if all 13 breweries even knew about this before the story ran.
atomeyes
Beer Superstar
Posts: 2151
Joined: Fri Oct 14, 2011 12:39 pm

Re: Toronto Brewery District

Postby atomeyes » Wed Jan 27, 2016 11:24 am

admviolin wrote:
Yeah, I was wondering if all 13 breweries even knew about this before the story ran.


the quick answer? no.
everybody's mad at the braintrusts at Hendersons, from what I can (easily and transparently) gather.

the breweries were asked "is this something you'd be interested in?"
"sure. let us know more details."

Boom.
a logo, a chair (Himel at Hendersons) without elections, a press release, use of all the breweries' names and logo.
no one was consulted.
everything about it is baffling. a few breweries are listed that haven't brewed a drop yet. the "District" is half of the city but doesn't include Great Lakes (not that GLB likely cares).
all of this reeks of being self serving and is done by a brewery that's basically a macrobrewery team (go visit their website to see their staff set-up and their staff's experience with macros only) disguised as a microbrewery.

many angry people and this will likely just blow up and not be much of anything. and it really shouldn't be anything. let shit be organic.
User avatar
groulxsome
Posts: 470
Joined: Mon Apr 30, 2012 2:24 pm

Re: Toronto Brewery District

Postby groulxsome » Wed Jan 27, 2016 1:24 pm

atomeyes wrote:
admviolin wrote:
Yeah, I was wondering if all 13 breweries even knew about this before the story ran.


the quick answer? no.
everybody's mad at the braintrusts at Hendersons, from what I can (easily and transparently) gather.

the breweries were asked "is this something you'd be interested in?"
"sure. let us know more details."

Boom.
a logo, a chair (Himel at Hendersons) without elections, a press release, use of all the breweries' names and logo.
no one was consulted.
everything about it is baffling. a few breweries are listed that haven't brewed a drop yet. the "District" is half of the city but doesn't include Great Lakes (not that GLB likely cares).
all of this reeks of being self serving and is done by a brewery that's basically a macrobrewery team (go visit their website to see their staff set-up and their staff's experience with macros only) disguised as a microbrewery.

many angry people and this will likely just blow up and not be much of anything. and it really shouldn't be anything. let shit be organic.


That's about right except it doesn't include Himel being asked to stop doing media (publicly and privately) and basically saying "this is too big for me to pass up" and continuing anyway. Super corporate vibe.

He started showing a pamphlet at the launch (last Wednesday) that no one but the media is yet to see (it's been in some reports... no idea where he ripped our logo from). Once one article got out apparently the media "got out of control" despite him making no efforts to correct the message. No press release... just a slow leek of misinformation which, he argues, is totally not his fault.

I suspect he either thought he'd be welcomed for doing all the work, that the media buzz would make it a sure-fire thing that we'd not want to pass up, or that if it backfired he'd just be able to use the media time (as he has) to show off his fancy warehouse and branding.

This news report is the first time I've seen the pamphlet: http://www.citynews.ca/2016/01/26/video ... -district/

And sums up my public opinions and predication for hipster hats while brewing. Sad at how it's been handled. Excited for some communication with the other brewers in person, which seems genuinely awesome.
MattS
Posts: 38
Joined: Mon May 04, 2015 8:59 am
Location: Meaford

Re: Toronto Brewery District

Postby MattS » Wed Jan 27, 2016 4:47 pm

groulxsome wrote:
This news report is the first time I've seen the pamphlet: http://www.citynews.ca/2016/01/26/video ... -district/


Completely off-topic, but am I the only one completely baffled by a news reporter filming herself as if it was a selfie whilst carrying a real camera?!?
atomeyes
Beer Superstar
Posts: 2151
Joined: Fri Oct 14, 2011 12:39 pm

Re: Toronto Brewery District

Postby atomeyes » Wed Jan 27, 2016 5:38 pm

MattS wrote:Completely off-topic, but am I the only one completely baffled by a news reporter filming herself as if it was a selfie whilst carrying a real camera?!?

you didn't grow up watching MuchMusic or CityTV?

now, it makes even more sense. gives a guerrilla journalism feeling and a "here's my selfie!" feel.
but back on topic!
MattS
Posts: 38
Joined: Mon May 04, 2015 8:59 am
Location: Meaford

Re: Toronto Brewery District

Postby MattS » Wed Jan 27, 2016 6:15 pm

atomeyes wrote:
MattS wrote:Completely off-topic, but am I the only one completely baffled by a news reporter filming herself as if it was a selfie whilst carrying a real camera?!?

you didn't grow up watching MuchMusic or CityTV?

now, it makes even more sense. gives a guerrilla journalism feeling and a "here's my selfie!" feel.
but back on topic!


Ah, no. I didn't... just another of those things I missed out on with my non-Canadian upbringing!
User avatar
Tapsucker
Seasoned Drinker
Posts: 1693
Joined: Fri Apr 28, 2006 5:21 pm
Location: Toronto

Re: Toronto Brewery District

Postby Tapsucker » Wed Jan 27, 2016 10:05 pm

Tempest in a brewkettle?

I bet a whole lot of this stuff will be popping up for a while. people trying to ride the coattails of others. Maybe it's good intentioned, but to what purpose? If the Mayor was serious about his earlier suggestion of making Toronto some sort of beer destination, then just set the Toronto tourism board on it. Make a guidebook or map and distribute it strategically. Won't be much different than what others have done, but hopefully it could be fair to all businesses, professional and well resourced.
Brands are for cattle.
Fans are cash cows.
The herd will consume until consumed.
User avatar
Tapsucker
Seasoned Drinker
Posts: 1693
Joined: Fri Apr 28, 2006 5:21 pm
Location: Toronto

Re: Toronto Brewery District

Postby Tapsucker » Wed Jan 27, 2016 10:07 pm

atomeyes wrote:
MattS wrote:Completely off-topic, but am I the only one completely baffled by a news reporter filming herself as if it was a selfie whilst carrying a real camera?!?

you didn't grow up watching MuchMusic or CityTV?

now, it makes even more sense. gives a guerrilla journalism feeling and a "here's my selfie!" feel.
but back on topic!


vaniTv. Always has been. :roll:
Brands are for cattle.

Fans are cash cows.

The herd will consume until consumed.
User avatar
admviolin
Posts: 266
Joined: Thu Apr 05, 2012 4:35 pm
Location: Toronto
Contact:

Re: Toronto Brewery District

Postby admviolin » Thu Jan 28, 2016 5:41 am

They used to call them "videographers" :o
User avatar
groulxsome
Posts: 470
Joined: Mon Apr 30, 2012 2:24 pm

Re: Toronto Brewery District

Postby groulxsome » Thu Jan 28, 2016 12:00 pm

Tapsucker wrote:Tempest in a brewkettle?

I bet a whole lot of this stuff will be popping up for a while. people trying to ride the coattails of others. Maybe it's good intentioned, but to what purpose? If the Mayor was serious about his earlier suggestion of making Toronto some sort of beer destination, then just set the Toronto tourism board on it. Make a guidebook or map and distribute it strategically. Won't be much different than what others have done, but hopefully it could be fair to all businesses, professional and well resourced.


St.John/Leblanc have done exactly this. Soliciting breweries soon for info, plans to have the official Toronto beer map out via tourism board by the end of April. From then second parties can build on it (running groups, tour groups) in whatever way they want. Nice to not be controlled by a corporate overload. City will, of course, have issues too, but maybe a little less controlled by a self-serving ego-maniac.
User avatar
El Pinguino
Seasoned Drinker
Posts: 1405
Joined: Sun Jan 02, 2005 6:02 pm
Location: Downtown TO / Galapagos Islands
Contact:

Re: Toronto Brewery District

Postby El Pinguino » Thu Jan 28, 2016 1:42 pm

There is also this....from Etobicoke...
"Started work on South Etobicoke Beer District with Black Oak, Cool, & Great Lakes breweries last summer. Expecting to launch later in 2016"

https://twitter.com/PeterMilczyn/status ... 1429386241

Return to “Random Talk”

Who is online

Users browsing this forum: No registered users and 1 guest