Looking for the original Bar Towel blog? You can find it at www.thebartowel.com.

We have a trivia question in order to register to prevent bots. If you have any issues with answering, contact us at cass@bartowel.com for help.

Introducing Light Mode! If you would like a Bar Towel social experience that isn't the traditional blue, you can now select Light Mode. Go to the User Control Panel and then Board Preferences, and select "Day Drinking" (Light Mode) from the My Board Style drop-down menu. You can always switch back to "Night Drinking" (Dark Mode). Enjoy!

worst Ontario beer of 2015?

Discuss beer or anything else that comes to mind in here.

Moderators: Craig, Cass

darmokandjalad

Post by darmokandjalad »

atomeyes wrote: i've had it.
not horrible.
drinkable,
not award worthy
Drinkable and not horrible? Now that's what I call a ringing endorsement. I can see why it has been touted as Trafalgar's best beer in years!

MetalHead

Post by MetalHead »

Blood brothers Shumei ipa. It was a horrible tannic astringent mess. Everything I've tried from them has been mediocre to downright awful. They really need to get their act together.
Beer, not just for breakfast anymore.

DeMarco

Post by DeMarco »

Yeah I'll chalk up mostly everything BB has put out was terrible. A lot of one off's that indie has done has been sad aswell.

napoleon

Post by napoleon »

TheSevenDuffs wrote:
cirriform wrote: Blood Brothers' Inner IPA (? -- was brought to a party we held, I didn't see the tag but was told it was their IPA) -- tasted young, infected, or both. No one defended it, and at least two people dumped their fifths.
I would second this. I read that it was a brett IPA, which might explain why you got some "infected" off flavours. It was pretty rough for me. Their Shumei IPA was just as bad, if not worse for me.

I will give these guys another chance at some point as they are new and I'm sure they are tweaking, but quality needs to improve significantly.
I'll toss out Blood Brothers' Cocoa Woman...their chocolate gose. It might not have been the absolute worst taste, but it was one of the worst ideas for a new brewery to try. Master the basics, then get wild. This one was a muddy miss.

MeltedOzark

Post by MeltedOzark »

Early last year at C'est What I had Bret You Got it Going On from Church Key. I don't know what went wrong with the beer or the keg, but it tasted like long-expired Italian salad dressing. I sincerely hope that it wasn't supposed to taste like that.

Dishonourable mention to Yukon Brewing Yukon Gold and Rogue OREgasmic ale. The latter may have been another keg problem and the former was just all kinds of terrible out of the bottle.

sprague11
Seasoned Drinker

Post by sprague11 »

Church Key just cannot brew anything sour.
"A good light beer is one that doesn't taste like piss!" - Frank d'Angelo

jeremyg

Post by jeremyg »

had to check through my untappd because i couldn't think of anything off the top of my head that i hated outside of a dunham brew at cask days that tasted like bitter weeds

anyways,

the beer i liked the least was glb's pompous ass, but voting it isn't far - not a style i like at all

worst: tie between muskoka moonlight summer saison and nickelbrook's continental drift

jeremyg

Post by jeremyg »

for 2016 beyond the pale's pale ale project #2 is leading the pack

Wonky

Post by Wonky »

jeremyg wrote:for 2016 beyond the pale's pale ale project #2 is leading the pack
While I won't say it was the worst beer this year, it was definitely my least favourite of the pale ale projects. I haven't had #4 yet, but since it's based on #1 which was fantastic, I'm hopeful....

Too bad #2 was the one they decided to can, and the one the brewer (can't remember his name right now...) likes best according to his dad.

jeremyg

Post by jeremyg »

Wonky wrote:
jeremyg wrote:for 2016 beyond the pale's pale ale project #2 is leading the pack
While I won't say it was the worst beer this year, it was definitely my least favourite of the pale ale projects. I haven't had #4 yet, but since it's based on #1 which was fantastic, I'm hopeful....

Too bad #2 was the one they decided to can, and the one the brewer (can't remember his name right now...) likes best according to his dad.
it had a really off putting lemon flavour to it that i didn't like, tasted almost artificial. ended up a drainpour.

saints_gambit
Bar Fly

Post by saints_gambit »

I have tried everything in the province this year.

It is Tracks ESB
saintjohnswort.ca

bradb

Post by bradb »

groulxsome wrote:
atomeyes wrote:i know he posts here, but honest feedback's better than lying
oh god oh god... phew.

Anyway!

For me it was a little beer called "The Wall" by Block 3. I've had some good beers from Block 3 (King Street Saison, for example) but The Wall should not have been released. "If Cheetos made a blue cheese flavour, it would taste like this. No sour, all the wrong funk. " Isovaleric/butyric acids. Just gross. The kind of thing that should never have been released. If you make a beer that bad either have the resolve and resources to either dump it or age it somehow (bottle it with brett and hope?). At some point the worst beer isn't about the most bland/uninspired/poorly executed but not tragically flawed beer (I did drink all those Trafalger beers!), but rather about the worst decision making about releasing a beer at all.

It has a 2.2 on untappd. That's crazy: https://untappd.com//b/block-three-brew ... all/955497

That's the worst I had last year.
Not only was this the worst beer I had last year, it's easily in the top 5 of worst ontario microbrews of all time for me.

I was so angry about this that I took a Block 3 hiatus for quite a while. I have no idea how it has a 2.2 on untappd.

distr0

Post by distr0 »

While we're on Block 3, their 'Biyeastual' was my lowest rated for 2015, although it seems to be getting decent ratings currently

atomeyes
Beer Superstar

Post by atomeyes »

5 Paddles' "Million Dollar Shag" is one of the worst beer i've had in 2015. a saison that tastes like a wheat beer. bubblegum yeast nose. finishes gummy and sweat.

just...just stop.

sprague11
Seasoned Drinker

Post by sprague11 »

Can I go back and retroactively change my answer to Refined Fool Ripsnorter?
"A good light beer is one that doesn't taste like piss!" - Frank d'Angelo