Looking for the original Bar Towel blog? You can find it at www.thebartowel.com.

We have a trivia question in order to register to prevent bots. If you have any issues with answering, contact us at cass@bartowel.com for help.

Introducing Light Mode! If you would like a Bar Towel social experience that isn't the traditional blue, you can now select Light Mode. Go to the User Control Panel and then Board Preferences, and select "Day Drinking" (Light Mode) from the My Board Style drop-down menu. You can always switch back to "Night Drinking" (Dark Mode). Enjoy!

The Blue Monk to close :(

Discuss beer or anything else that comes to mind in here.

Moderators: Craig, Cass

TheSevenDuffs
Beer Superstar

The Blue Monk to close :(

Post by TheSevenDuffs »

http://buffalo.com/2016/03/18/featured/ ... -to-close/

This really is too bad. But at least Mike is about to open up two new beer spots to help fill the void.

Lackey

Post by Lackey »

Although sad, sevenduffs is right. Shatzs has got it covered.

boney
Seasoned Drinker

Post by boney »

Ahhhh, bummer. Thin Man will be awesome, Colter Bay will be interesting. The Blue Monk was a great venue and will be missed, but Shatzel can't be stopped!

biegaman
Bar Fly

Post by biegaman »

AH man, super bummed out. But it would upset me way more if Coles ever closed. That has been my home away from home for a decade.

So until the brewery and new bar open I guess Mike's down to only 6 spots: Coles, Brennan's, Liberty Hound, Roux Cafe, Moor Pat, and Allen Burger Venture.

sprague11
Seasoned Drinker

Post by sprague11 »

Monk was my hangout when I was in the Village. Think it was the first place me and my wife ate when she was finally allowed to cross the border.

Wherever he opens next (maybe something a bit further North?) will be awesome.
"A good light beer is one that doesn't taste like piss!" - Frank d'Angelo

Belgian
Bar Towel Legend

Post by Belgian »

The Monk is great albeit dizzyingly expensive with the sheer ambitious beer pricing compounded with the fall of the loonie, but I'm sure Mike's next idea will be great.

I also hope in 'tweaking the concept' the kitchen in the new place will be slightly bigger and better. It would befit such a place very successfully. Otherwise I'm happy with the swaggering Buffalo bar food classics at Coles. And crazy old Russell at the bar. Good old Russ.
In Beerum Veritas

DeMarco

Post by DeMarco »

I'm going to have to disagree with you about the food at blue monk. That duck poutine is top notch.