Looking for the original Bar Towel blog? You can find it at www.thebartowel.com.

We have a trivia question in order to register to prevent bots. If you have any issues with answering, contact us at cass@bartowel.com for help.

Introducing Light Mode! If you would like a Bar Towel social experience that isn't the traditional blue, you can now select Light Mode. Go to the User Control Panel and then Board Preferences, and select "Day Drinking" (Light Mode) from the My Board Style drop-down menu. You can always switch back to "Night Drinking" (Dark Mode). Enjoy!

BrewDog -- Feature article in the Guardian

Discuss beer or anything else that comes to mind in here.

Moderators: Craig, Cass

Uncle Bobby

BrewDog -- Feature article in the Guardian

Post by Uncle Bobby »

Some key points about quality beers and edgy marketing.

...Let's see if I remember how to do this...? Square bracket, url equals....
::::::::::::::::::::::
"It's ma-a-a-gic!"

Uncle Bobby

Post by Uncle Bobby »

...Aaand another one from Guardian on BrewDog and their "open source" style of sharing their intellectual property, i.e. their recipes.

Both articles also discuss to varying degrees the company's quirky way of raising capital. Termed "crowdsourcing", but I think it's a misnomer. It looks more like an over-the-counter sale of shares (says the guy with no experience in finance).
Last edited by Uncle Bobby on Tue Mar 29, 2016 11:08 am, edited 1 time in total.
::::::::::::::::::::::
"It's ma-a-a-gic!"

Tapsucker
Seasoned Drinker

Post by Tapsucker »

That's a great article, thanks!

I've always maintained that my favourite breweries generally make 7-9 out of 10 beers I find undrinkable. It's the fact that they stretch that knocks out those 1-3 fantastic ones I want to drink every day.

As for the marketing, I think the creativity, no matter how crazy, speaks to the minds of the creators of those beers. Nothing wrong with laying low too, but definitely tells me more than the cheesy lifestyle 'bikinis and beach toys' of corporate beverage companies.

On a side note, I was not aware of Brew Dog's pub empire (tied houses?) until recently. I had some friends visiting the UK and they reported back how much they liked the couple they visited. I also like the spirit of having other brewers on tap at these places. Central City has done this at their new pub in downtown Vancouver. I this it was something like 20 house taps plus 20 curated local favourites. That's a fantastic pub, by the way, I highly recommend it.
Brands are for cattle.
Fans are cash cows.
The herd will consume until consumed.