Looking for the original Bar Towel blog? You can find it at www.thebartowel.com.

We have a trivia question in order to register to prevent bots. If you have any issues with answering, contact us at cass@bartowel.com for help.

Introducing Light Mode! If you would like a Bar Towel social experience that isn't the traditional blue, you can now select Light Mode. Go to the User Control Panel and then Board Preferences, and select "Day Drinking" (Light Mode) from the My Board Style drop-down menu. You can always switch back to "Night Drinking" (Dark Mode). Enjoy!

Beer for non-craft drinker guests?

Discuss beer or anything else that comes to mind in here.

Moderators: Craig, Cass

GtownRandy

Post by GtownRandy »

thanks for the suggestions guys.

i'm liking the idea of the Munich gold, i like the Hacker Weiss but havent tried gold yet.

I think a good hefeweizen is a must as lots of people do like it as a summer beer. tried a belgian style wit on the weekend, the new Beat the Heat by Black Oak, but my wife didnt like the coriander/orange peel taste so will go with German Weiss style like Weihen, Hacker, Schneider or Side Launch etc. (just learned the difference this week between wit and weiss:

i did audition Muskoka Lager, but struggled to finish it. Hopefully the cream ale is a contender, havent tried it recently, and cream ales are easy-drinking.

My wife's criterion is that her friend Sue has to like it. I gave her a Sawdust City Kolsch, which she liked,so thats in the running.

Will try Amsterdam 3 speed when i see that in a store also.

Derek
Beer Superstar

Post by Derek »

I use to play this game, but I really can't be bothered anymore.

If friends and family don't make an effort for me (ie. only stocking shitty macro), I always end up taking over my own beer. Maybe they don't know what to buy, but if I'm always buying my own, I figure they can do the same.

The host/guest dynamic is a two way street, and I refuse to be run over in both directions.

That said, we do buy all kinds of non-alcoholic stuff for guests (mostly pop), which we never drink.

I guess it comes down to the fact that I already spend enough money on beer and I really hate the left-overs taking up my fridge space. There was a time when I didn't mind finishing up the odd case, but now there's just so much else that I'd rather drink (and my liver can only process so much).

Tapsucker
Seasoned Drinker

Post by Tapsucker »

Derek wrote:I use to play this game, but I really can't be bothered anymore.

If friends and family don't make an effort for me (ie. only stocking shitty macro), I always end up taking over my own beer. Maybe they don't know what to buy, but if I'm always buying my own, I figure they can do the same.

The host/guest dynamic is a two way street, and I refuse to be run over in both directions.

That said, we do buy all kinds of non-alcoholic stuff for guests (mostly pop), which we never drink.

I guess it comes down to the fact that I already spend enough money on beer and I really hate the left-overs taking up my fridge space. There was a time when I didn't mind finishing up the odd case, but now there's just so much else that I'd rather drink (and my liver can only process so much).
+1

Come to my house to hopefully enjoy my hospitality and I'll come to yours to enjoy the same. If the beer is shit I won't drink it. I'm sure there are other reasons I came to visit.
As for non-alcoholic options, I'm glad to offer anything, but I draw the line at pop. The world does not need more Coors Light purchases. :-?

Still, I appreciate the point of this thread. Try to be a good accommodating host as hosting is about stepping out of ourselves to makes others happy. Makes sense to me.
Brands are for cattle.
Fans are cash cows.
The herd will consume until consumed.