Looking for the original Bar Towel blog? You can find it at www.thebartowel.com.

We have a trivia question in order to register to prevent bots. If you have any issues with answering, contact us at cass@bartowel.com for help.

Introducing Light Mode! If you would like a Bar Towel social experience that isn't the traditional blue, you can now select Light Mode. Go to the User Control Panel and then Board Preferences, and select "Day Drinking" (Light Mode) from the My Board Style drop-down menu. You can always switch back to "Night Drinking" (Dark Mode). Enjoy!

The Brew Box - home-delivered craft beer

Discuss beer or anything else that comes to mind in here.

Moderators: Craig, Cass

TwoPint

The Brew Box - home-delivered craft beer

Post by TwoPint »

I found a flyer for The Brew Box (https://www.thebrewbox.co/) on my porch this morning. Some interesting stuff but that's a lot of coin.

napoleon

Post by napoleon »

TwoPint wrote:I found a flyer for The Brew Box (https://www.thebrewbox.co/) on my porch this morning. Some interesting stuff but that's a lot of coin.
Basically it's at least $5 per tall boy...taken from the Sawdust City $60 example. Their cheapest mixed brewery pack is $70 for "approximately 4 litres of beer" For that price, you could almost buy 3 litres of Bellwood's fanciest barrel-aged beers.

Seems like a bad deal to me.

ckoop

Post by ckoop »

napoleon wrote:
TwoPint wrote:I found a flyer for The Brew Box (https://www.thebrewbox.co/) on my porch this morning. Some interesting stuff but that's a lot of coin.
Basically it's at least $5 per tall boy...taken from the Sawdust City $60 example. Their cheapest mixed brewery pack is $70 for "approximately 4 litres of beer" For that price, you could almost buy 3 litres of Bellwood's fanciest barrel-aged beers.

Seems like a good deal to me! Since you used Bellwoods as an example, I think their cheapest bears are around 4.50-5.50 for a 500 ml bottle. So this is $5 a can (practically the same amount of liquid as the bottle) and delivered to my home? Sure it's not a good deal if you happen to live close to Bellwoods or Great Lakes, but for those of us in the craft beer wastelands who have to rely on spotty lcbo deliveries and making drives to Toronto/Burlington or the US to grab good beer, seems like a decent deal. I'd probably sign up for this if I didn't travel so much for work and live right across from the US, but there are a tonne of people who live in way worse locations that would take a fresh shipment of great beer every month. People often forget about the soft costs that get absorbed when making special trips to buy beer (gas, border fees, wear and tear, etc).

Now the silversmith one is laughable since their "limited" releases are often just middling porters, lagers, whatever and their regular priced items are overpriced for what they are. So 80 bucks for 6 below replacement level beers and 2 pretend-"limited" releases is terrible. Someone that signs up for this probably doesn't care about the tasting vouchers included in that deal, so I can't count that as part of the package value.

portwood

Post by portwood »

ckoop wrote:
napoleon wrote:

...Sure it's not a good deal if you happen to live close to Bellwoods or Great Lakes, but for those of us in the craft beer wastelands who have to rely on spotty lcbo deliveries and making drives to Toronto/Burlington or the US to grab good beer, seems like a decent deal.
Agreed!
I've been berated before for questioning the viability of driving to Toronto from the burbs to buy Bellwoods beer (or others). A delivery service would be good.

Better yet, it would be great if the breweries themselves would provide shipping. That would accomplish two things:
1. cut out the middle man
2. no mystery - order what I want!
@markhamwhisky

napoleon

Post by napoleon »

ckoop wrote:
napoleon wrote:

Seems like a good deal to me! Since you used Bellwoods as an example, I think their cheapest bears are around 4.50-5.50 for a 500 ml bottle. So this is $5 a can (practically the same amount of liquid as the bottle) and delivered to my home? Sure it's not a good deal if you happen to live close to Bellwoods or Great Lakes, but for those of us in the craft beer wastelands who have to rely on spotty lcbo deliveries and making drives to Toronto/Burlington or the US to grab good beer, seems like a decent deal. I'd probably sign up for this if I didn't travel so much for work and live right across from the US, but there are a tonne of people who live in way worse locations that would take a fresh shipment of great beer every month. People often forget about the soft costs that get absorbed when making special trips to buy beer (gas, border fees, wear and tear, etc).
Fair enough point on the craft beer wastelands...I'm spoiled to live in walking distance of Bellwoods. I should have elaborated a bit more...the Sawdust City beers that seem to come in the box almost all sell for in the $2.75-$3.25 range in the LCBO, so that seemed like quite a markup while simultaneously giving up the ability to choose which ones I get. I'm sure for some people it is a bit more justifiable, although I'm with you that the Silversmith one is especially dubious.

Belgian
Bar Towel Legend

Post by Belgian »

"There is NO good reason to do this!"

In Beerum Veritas

FEUO

Post by FEUO »

Belgian wrote:"There is NO good reason to do this!"

Try living in Windsor.
While MI distro is very very very good right now, how are we supposed to try all the new Ontario hype?

Belgian
Bar Towel Legend

Post by Belgian »

My family tried living in Windsor... Oh man.

The shipping convenience is definitely gonna help a lot of people. Not as much as private retail might, local re-sellers would obviously be amazing.
In Beerum Veritas

mahcinesquad

Post by mahcinesquad »

portwood wrote:
ckoop wrote:
napoleon wrote:I found a flyer for The Brew Box (https://www.thebrewbox.co/) on my porch this morning. Some interesting stuff but that's a lot of coin.

Agreed!
I've been berated before for questioning the viability of driving to Toronto from the burbs to buy Bellwoods beer (or others). A delivery service would be good.

Better yet, it would be great if the breweries themselves would provide shipping. That would accomplish two things:
1. cut out the middle man
2. no mystery - order what I want!
Half Hours on Earth is trying to do just that (beer delivered from the brewery) http://www.halfhoursonearth.com/Half-Ho ... s/1814.htm

It's not available yet but when it comes online I'm guessing it'll be popular. Getting out to Seaforth isn't the most practical. And the couple of beers I've had from them have been fantastic.

ckoop

Post by ckoop »

FEUO wrote:

Try living in Windsor.
While MI distro is very very very good right now, how are we supposed to try all the new Ontario hype?
pfft. i'll send you all the hype you want for all the shorts, oddside and fresh dark horse. even though most of those places are not super close to grab their special releases, just their regular line up beers are mostly good to great. Michigan is such a great, somewhat under-rated beer state.

FEUO

Post by FEUO »

ckoop wrote:
FEUO wrote:

Try living in Windsor.
pfft. i'll send you all the hype you want for all the shorts, oddside and fresh dark horse. even though most of those places are not super close to grab their special releases, just their regular line up beers are mostly good to great. Michigan is such a great, somewhat under-rated beer state.
;)
But that NY distro..... was just in Buffalo and hit Premier. WTF. Y'all are spoiled.