Looking for the original Bar Towel blog? You can find it at www.thebartowel.com.

We have a trivia question in order to register to prevent bots. If you have any issues with answering, contact us at cass@bartowel.com for help.

Introducing Light Mode! If you would like a Bar Towel social experience that isn't the traditional blue, you can now select Light Mode. Go to the User Control Panel and then Board Preferences, and select "Day Drinking" (Light Mode) from the My Board Style drop-down menu. You can always switch back to "Night Drinking" (Dark Mode). Enjoy!

LCBO recalls exploding cans of Amsterdam beer

Discuss beer or anything else that comes to mind in here.

Moderators: Craig, Cass

spinrsx
Beer Superstar

LCBO recalls exploding cans of Amsterdam beer

Post by spinrsx »

GtownRandy

Post by GtownRandy »

why would they explode, are they infected? it says they refermented, but they wouldnt have much yeast in them to begin with would they, as it's part beer and part soda?

DeMarco

Post by DeMarco »

GtownRandy wrote:why would they explode, are they infected? it says they refermented, but they wouldnt have much yeast in them to begin with would they, as it's part beer and part soda?
it's very possible the added soda and the presents of yeast would continue to eat the sugars, especially if they are sitting in a room temp. Ideally the cans should be pasteurized to stop the active yeast. These should not explode if they are in a fridge until you open them, but it's very possible some people might not refrigerate their beer all the time.

Bobsy
Beer Superstar

Post by Bobsy »

This is too bad - I heard the radler is the bomb.

GtownRandy

Post by GtownRandy »

last year i made my own blood orange radler by mixing half lager and half san pellegrino blood orange beverage. turned out good, and that way you can use a good quality beer base. also can add an ounce of vodka to fortify it back up to 5%

Belgian
Bar Towel Legend

Post by Belgian »

The convenient solution is Schoffenhofer Grapefruit, a 50/50 blend of real juice and Hefeweizen (unfiltered German wheat beer).

I do NOT recommend that Stiegl Radler crap, made with their 'Goldbrau' and 60% 'fruit soda' (hence sugar) and it really tastes like those nasty cheap old candy suckers they used to sell in bunches at supermarkets.

I want to try a fresh blend using Weizen (or Vienna Lager) and fresh-squeezed GF, that sounds damn good (and even using organic fruit it's probably about the same cost for more volume*.)
^ Radical Radler.

* The 'tax for booze' equation does not add up on low-ABV LCBO product pricing does it? They really need to learn how to subtract...
In Beerum Veritas

Tapsucker
Seasoned Drinker

Post by Tapsucker »

Wouldn't have expected cans of pop to 'pop'. :D

I can imagine the current big hipster trend to infected beers will lead to some interesting times in the LCBO warehouse. That is, I guess, if some of these sours can actually pass the lab tests.
Brands are for cattle.
Fans are cash cows.
The herd will consume until consumed.

Belgian
Bar Towel Legend

Post by Belgian »

Are beers described as 'infected' if they are intentionally cultured with a souring or funkifying bacteria?

I always thought that was defined by intent.
In Beerum Veritas

Tapsucker
Seasoned Drinker

Post by Tapsucker »

Belgian wrote:Are beers described as 'infected' if they are intentionally cultured with a souring or funkifying bacteria?

I always thought that was defined by intent.
Yeah, you would probably be right. I guess another way of looking at it is that if one of my beers was unintentionally infected, I would probably still try and drink it. I can't really bring myself to drink an infected beer from someone else, intentional or not. :wink:

To each their own, but I really can't wait for this fad to pass. Its starting to push out drinkable beers in too many bars. We just won those taps back from the macros and now this! On the other hand, I guess we should dread what it will be replaced with...
Brands are for cattle.
Fans are cash cows.
The herd will consume until consumed.

Belgian
Bar Towel Legend

Post by Belgian »

Know what you mean. Case in point: I had a not-bad Flemish sour brewed by Trafalgar, I was tempted to drink it because it theoretically can't kill you.
^ My most memorable OCB experience was the mixed OCB pack #2 containing what would have been "Trafalgar Irish Ale" except it was far more like a flemish sour ale.

Vinegar-like and a gusher...
In Beerum Veritas