Looking for the original Bar Towel blog? You can find it at www.thebartowel.com.

We have a trivia question in order to register to prevent bots. If you have any issues with answering, contact us at cass@bartowel.com for help.

Introducing Light Mode! If you would like a Bar Towel social experience that isn't the traditional blue, you can now select Light Mode. Go to the User Control Panel and then Board Preferences, and select "Day Drinking" (Light Mode) from the My Board Style drop-down menu. You can always switch back to "Night Drinking" (Dark Mode). Enjoy!

Beer Cellars

Discuss beer or anything else that comes to mind in here.

Moderators: Craig, Cass

midlife crisis
Beer Superstar

Post by midlife crisis »

Cuvée van de Keizer Blauw 2012. With all the talk (in the other thread) of both the Blauw and Rood coming to us this fall, and the LC's inept reportage on their web site, I couldn't resist blowing the dust off this one from the back of my cellar (ok, crawl space under the basement stairs). It gives a huge hit of prune up front, with some black licorice in there too, followed by a toffee-sweet finish. Very soft - the alcohol burn is gone completely. Have I maybe over-aged this one?

Belgian
Bar Towel Legend

Post by Belgian »

midlife crisis wrote:Cuvée van de Keizer Blauw 2012. With all the talk (in the other thread) of both the Blauw and Rood coming to us this fall, and the LC's inept reportage on their web site, I couldn't resist blowing the dust off this one from the back of my cellar (ok, crawl space under the basement stairs). It gives a huge hit of prune up front, with some black licorice in there too, followed by a toffee-sweet finish. Very soft - the alcohol burn is gone completely. Have I maybe over-aged this one?
It's all what you like, really. If you like less 'softness' and some 'edge' left probably within two years is optimal. If you want a finer structure with more rounded delicate quantities you could age a beer like this for a good while longer. If you like features of both, could decant a fresher bottle & an aged bottle together making a 'cuvee'. Everything is a trade off.

Somebody (?) helpfully posted 'ageing guidelines' for Trappists etc. like St. Bernie 12 & Roche 10, so while that is great I think every beer and palate is different. Anytime something is bottle-conditioned and not hoppy I'm inclined to experiment.
In Beerum Veritas

BeerIsGood

Post by BeerIsGood »

So, I going to try some dedicated and disciplined cellaring again. Previously, I lacked discipline for the long haul. I've got some five year old Chimay Blue, Orval, Rochefort 10, St. Bernardus 12, Peche Mortel and a couple of others kicking around, but truthfully, it's only still there because I was out of the country for those five years. I'm going to try one of the St. Bernardus 12's tonight at a dinner party I'm hosting. I have no idea what to expect.

Over the next few days, I plan to put away a few Gouden Carolus Cuvee's, Boulevard Bourbon Barrel Quads, New Holland Dragon's Milk, Nickel Brook Cuvée Reserve and...who knows. It's a test of my resolve. Maybe this time I'll pass. LOL!

midlife crisis
Beer Superstar

Post by midlife crisis »

BeerIsGood wrote: I'm going to try one of the St. Bernardus 12's tonight at a dinner party I'm hosting. I have no idea what to expect.
Expect it to be great! I opened one at three years not too long ago (couldn't wait any longer) and it was terrific. Don't serve it too cold.

Craig
Seasoned Drinker

Post by Craig »

Think more Sherry and raisin, less heat and spice.

For what it's worth, I've found that the quads I've cellared have been best around the 2-3 year mark, though I've yet to hold on to something more than 5 years.

beerstodiscover
Bar Fly

Post by beerstodiscover »

Unibroue Trois Pistoles bottled Sept 26 2012. A little over 5 years old.
I forgot about this lonely bottle in the cellar.
Nose is waves of prunes, bready malt, grapes, chestnuts.
Taste is all of the above with some coffee/roasty/stout traces. Caramel, dark fruit, tobacco. Super smooth.

This brew has held up like a champ. Wish I had tucked away more.

El Pinguino
Seasoned Drinker

Post by El Pinguino »

Trois Pistoles is my favourite Unibroue beer...so good.

BeerIsGood

Post by BeerIsGood »

Ok, I have completed my inventory of my five year old stuff and have a question. Included among what I've previously mentioned are a few 750ml bottles of Chimay Red. My feeling is that these need to be consumed soon and it may already be a little late.

Agree/Disagree.

I had a five year old St. Bernardus 12 last night and thought it was still very good.

darmokandjalad

Post by darmokandjalad »

If you've been holding onto them for 5 years already then yes, you might as well open them up. They should still taste ok at this point, but they have nothing to gain from any more time in the cellar.

beerstodiscover
Bar Fly

Pulled out a Fin du Monde bottled Jan 16 2013. Started very bready, getting more fruity as I sip. Lots of yeasty, fruity esters, spice, lemony finish.

sofakingdrunk
Bar Fly

Post by sofakingdrunk »

beerstodiscover wrote:Pulled out a Fin du Monde bottled Jan 16 2013. Started very bready, getting more fruity as I sip. Lots of yeasty, fruity esters, spice, lemony finish.

I had a 2013 fin du monde(750ml bottle)from the cellar probably 6-9 months ago and was completely underwhelmed.

darmokandjalad

Post by darmokandjalad »

sofakingdrunk wrote:I had a 2013 fin du monde(750ml bottle)from the cellar probably 6-9 months ago and was completely underwhelmed.
In my experience tripels don't age very well. A few might hold up fine for a year or two (Westmalle's come to mind) but usually they're just going to be worse for the wear.

The longest I have held onto a bottle of LFdM is two years and I felt it was worse off afterwards. Unibroue's website says it should be fine within 3-5 years, but IMO you're better off just drinking it fresh. Their 17 and 25 are much better cellar candidates.

midlife crisis
Beer Superstar

Post by midlife crisis »

Did a little vertical of St Ambroise Vintage Ale 2011-13. The 2013 was still quite nice; thought I could detect a little diacetyl in the 2012; and in the 2011 there was no doubt. I'm not sure these are meant to age that long. They're not bottle conditioned, as far as I could tell.

sofakingdrunk
Bar Fly

Post by sofakingdrunk »

darmokandjalad wrote:
sofakingdrunk wrote:I had a 2013 fin du monde(750ml bottle)from the cellar probably 6-9 months ago and was completely underwhelmed.
In my experience tripels don't age very well. A few might hold up fine for a year or two (Westmalle's come to mind) but usually they're just going to be worse for the wear.

The longest I have held onto a bottle of LFdM is two years and I felt it was worse off afterwards. Unibroue's website says it should be fine within 3-5 years, but IMO you're better off just drinking it fresh. Their 17 and 25 are much better cellar candidates.

Yeah, I won't be doing that again.
Got a bottle of 17 from 2014 tucked away that should be about perfect now

beerstodiscover
Bar Fly

darmokandjalad wrote:In my experience tripels don't age very well.
I agree, also true of other styles. I stashed away a six pack of Fin du Monde when I first learned of cellaring. Still a delicious beer, but I prefer fresh.