Looking for the original Bar Towel blog? You can find it at www.thebartowel.com.

We have a trivia question in order to register to prevent bots. If you have any issues with answering, contact us at cass@bartowel.com for help.

Introducing Light Mode! If you would like a Bar Towel social experience that isn't the traditional blue, you can now select Light Mode. Go to the User Control Panel and then Board Preferences, and select "Day Drinking" (Light Mode) from the My Board Style drop-down menu. You can always switch back to "Night Drinking" (Dark Mode). Enjoy!

Article about 355ml cans comeback

Discuss beer or anything else that comes to mind in here.

Moderators: Craig, Cass

portwood

Post by portwood »

Not surprisingly, it will come down to what the government MONOPOLY prefers rather than what consumers want :cry:
@markhamwhisky

CoolB

Post by CoolB »

I'm ok with this. I do like to pour my beers but I'd prefer not to always have to trot around with a giant glass mug in my hand. I'm ok with downsizing my glass.
You know what I have in my cellar? Dust, I have dust in my cellar.

darmokandjalad

Post by darmokandjalad »

It's an interesting trend, but I'm staying on the fence for now.

If this is just another case of the "product shrink ray" phenomenon - where producers reduce the size and/or price tag of their format in order to make it appear to the customer as if they're getting a deal, when in reality the price per unit mass/volume has gone up - then no sir, I don't like it.

If 355 mL cans wind up being basically the same price-per-volume as the tallboys we already have, then I'm fine with it. That means a 355 mL can of a beer that cost $3.00 in tall boy format should be about $2.25 per can in the short guy format.

For something pricier like Long Dark Voyage to Uranus or Immodest (roughly $5.00/tallboy), the short guy format would be about $3.75/can. I could see the switch-over to 355s being a significant advantage for higher abv, premium products like these. I think people would be more willing to buy multiples of a <4 dollar short guy than a >5 dollar tallboy.

S. St. Jeb
Seasoned Drinker

Post by S. St. Jeb »

I've become so used to the 473 size, that it has become "normal' and 355 doesn't seem like enough.

The main thing I don't like about the 355 size is that they tend to only be sold in 6-packs, not individually. I like being able to only buy 1 or 2 of the larger cans.

portwood

Post by portwood »

darmokandjalad wrote:I could see the switch-over to 355s being a significant advantage for higher abv, premium products like these. I think people would be more willing to buy multiples of a <4 dollar short guy than a >5 dollar tallboy.
That's what I would like to see (best current example: Ten Fidy)
However, judging by the early converts (Lug Tread, Detour, Steam whistle, etc) its the higher volume, sessionable-type brews that will get the downsize ... and higher per ml prices :(
@markhamwhisky

JerCraigs
Beer Superstar

Post by JerCraigs »

portwood wrote:Not surprisingly, it will come down to what the government MONOPOLY prefers rather than what consumers want :cry:
Not if they are selling it out of their own stores, but yeah, that's a bit part of why the tall cans are currently popular.

shintriad
Bar Fly

Post by shintriad »

Hmmm. The poll reveals a pretty even split. Maybe neither size is ideal?

I had some Anderson Brown at a busy bar last week, straight from the can, and liked it a lot. But I found it was way too easily dispatched. Buying all those cans at a crowded bar feels like a waste of time, energy and money, when you factor in the bartender's tip. That said, I don't love drinking out of tall cans either.

I'm sure this will never be a reality, but you could make a case for a 14 oz (414 ml) beer can, which such reputable breweries as Old Milwaukee and Busch used to have in the mid-1970s. How ironically hip is that? Also, with a careful pour, I bet that could fill up my Spiegelau IPA glass perfectly. We could call them "above-average heightboys."

Make it happen, beer gods! :lol:

Tapsucker
Seasoned Drinker

Post by Tapsucker »

I picked up some 500ml cans of Brewdog Punk IPA the other day. Nice round number :wink:

Even with the shipping efficiency of cans v.s. glass, it seams it makes sense to use a bigger package for such a distance. Small cans are probably fine for local consumption.

I's sure I've mentioned this before, but the brewers who are using cans are my best friends when I travel in Canada. To be able to check some unique local beers in luggage is handy. I think it probably helped a lot of brewers also build their brand before they got wider distribution. I certainly shared a lot of BC beers with friends here that are now available in Ontario. I'm looking at you Central City and Tree. Well done.
Brands are for cattle.
Fans are cash cows.
The herd will consume until consumed.

ErkLR

Post by ErkLR »

The trend continues, Tree is moving to all-can distribution: http://www.canadianbeernews.com/2017/03 ... -releases/

My 2 cents about cans: I have trouble thinking of advantages bottle have over cans in general. Specifically for high ABV beers, I much prefer the cans, even a tall-boy is preferable to a 750 mL bottle, but I'd prefer the 355 mL. I think 3 Philosophers was the last 750 mL bottle I bought, and it will probably remain that way for a long time, I just never reach for a big bottle when I have smaller sizes available. As for sessionable beers, it probably depends on the specific circumstance, but again I'd prefer either size of can over bottles.

It seems like the 750 mL bottles used to be for rare one-offs or specialty seasonals, but now everyone is always doing some kind of seasonal or specialty beer. That is actually great for beer drinkers (please keep it up), but it also means I think the cage-and-cork bottles are not special anymore. And especially wax. Fuck wax. The only downside I can see is for brewers who have recently invested in a bottling line, that's gotta hurt. Unless 750's are all done by hand still?

Similar to what Tapsucker said, that last few times I've travelled in Canada or the US, the only beer I've brought home was in cans, both for weight and breakage considerations. That's also a consideration when I'm taking public transit to a party.

Hoppy's Tavern

Post by Hoppy's Tavern »

At first when I started drinking craft beer I though the 473ml cans were big, I since got use to it and now think the 355ml are too small.
I probably won't be switching or buying the 355ml cans, all my glasses are a perfect pour for the 473ml cans
If i switch to the 355ml the glass will be half full or half empty however you want to look at it.

Definitely no to the 355ml cans for me.