Looking for the original Bar Towel blog? You can find it at www.thebartowel.com.

We have a trivia question in order to register to prevent bots. If you have any issues with answering, contact us at cass@bartowel.com for help.

Introducing Light Mode! If you would like a Bar Towel social experience that isn't the traditional blue, you can now select Light Mode. Go to the User Control Panel and then Board Preferences, and select "Day Drinking" (Light Mode) from the My Board Style drop-down menu. You can always switch back to "Night Drinking" (Dark Mode). Enjoy!

OCB Week came and went and Bar Towel had nothing to say about it

Discuss beer or anything else that comes to mind in here.

Moderators: Craig, Cass

cratez
Beer Superstar

OCB Week came and went and Bar Towel had nothing to say about it

Post by cratez »

This year's Ontario Craft Beer Week was June 10-18. It came and went without any of us having anything to say about it. I didn't encounter a single OCB event posting on here, and I don't recall any Bar Towellers even mentioning the week or its events. Is this a sign that OCB Week has become irrelevant, or simply an indication that the week doesn't cater to beer nerds and is more about engaging the beer curious? I remember Session being a big to-do only a couple of years ago (among beer geeks and newbies alike), but this year it didn't even cross my mind. Thoughts?
"Bar people do not live as long as vegan joggers. However, they have more fun." - Bruce Elliott

Craig
Seasoned Drinker

Post by Craig »

I haven't been to an OCB week event in years. None of the events have appealed to me. Honestly, they don't seem any better than random events that pop up all over the city pretty much every weekend.

Sessions is fun and all, I really like the Dundas Square location. But that style of festival doesn't do much for me any more unless it's Cask Days or something really special.

ry_kinney

Post by ry_kinney »

Was there a specific OCB week beer in the LCBO this year? There was a barrel aged porter last year or the year before that was pretty damn good.

DeMarco

Post by DeMarco »

ry_kinney wrote:Was there a specific OCB week beer in the LCBO this year? There was a barrel aged porter last year or the year before that was pretty damn good.
I don't believe there was, as I too was looking for something.

sprague11
Seasoned Drinker

Post by sprague11 »

If there were events, it shows how well (or not) they were marketed.
"A good light beer is one that doesn't taste like piss!" - Frank d'Angelo

ercousin

Post by ercousin »

ry_kinney wrote:Was there a specific OCB week beer in the LCBO this year? There was a barrel aged porter last year or the year before that was pretty damn good.
I believe that was for Toronto Beer Week, which is in September.
GTA Brews - Toronto's Homebrew Club - http://www.gtabrews.ca/

Eric's Brewing Blog - Advanced Homebrewing for the Intermediate Brewer - http://www.ericbrews.com/

Tapsucker
Seasoned Drinker

Post by Tapsucker »

I did give OCB a quick thought, but was out of town anyway.

Frankly (and those people who know me will think this is a totally crazy thing to say) I just can't drink enough to justify the cost and hassle of going to things like Sessions or even Cask Days. Been there, done that.

I much prefer smaller focused gatherings or the more casual Brewers Backyard type things, where you don't have to wait through massive crowds or do a mission plan to figure out what you want to try.

Tap takeovers can still be fun and I probably would have gone to at least one if I had been around. It's still nice to meet some of the brewery folks and get a sense of how they like to present their products.
Brands are for cattle.
Fans are cash cows.
The herd will consume until consumed.