Looking for the original Bar Towel blog? You can find it at www.thebartowel.com.

We have a trivia question in order to register to prevent bots. If you have any issues with answering, contact us at cass@bartowel.com for help.

Introducing Light Mode! If you would like a Bar Towel social experience that isn't the traditional blue, you can now select Light Mode. Go to the User Control Panel and then Board Preferences, and select "Day Drinking" (Light Mode) from the My Board Style drop-down menu. You can always switch back to "Night Drinking" (Dark Mode). Enjoy!

Do individual LCBO stores have sales?

Discuss beer or anything else that comes to mind in here.

Moderators: Craig, Cass

midlife crisis
Beer Superstar

Do individual LCBO stores have sales?

Post by midlife crisis »

Can/do individual LCBO stores put items on sale, below the price at other stores? If so, under what circumstances?

I just bought a bottle of this at a store in Markham for $25.95, or $11 off, which seemed like a very good deal (i.e. almost down to the price I would pay in the States, I know). No mention of a sale on the web site. The bar code was struck through in black marker and the checkout clerk reminded me it was final sale. Just like at a real retailer!

http://www.lcbo.com/lcbo/product/evan-w ... b1ksuus-rU

ry_kinney

Post by ry_kinney »

Yes LCBO seems to have store specific markdowns, I assume based on low sell through by manager's discretion. I have found a few good buys myself. Which store did you buy that bottle at I might go get one myself.

Belgian
Bar Towel Legend

Post by Belgian »

Yes, if you are hoping that a sale-price product is about 20-30% off at all other stores you will be disappointed.

Boutari Naoussa Xinomavro 2014 was extra-cheap at my Beaches local, but at the Danforth-Broadview location the same wine had no reason to go on sale, apparently.
In Beerum Veritas

midlife crisis
Beer Superstar

Post by midlife crisis »

ry_kinney wrote:Yes LCBO seems to have store specific markdowns, I assume based on low sell through by manager's discretion. I have found a few good buys myself. Which store did you buy that bottle at I might go get one myself.
Birchmount and 7. There were only a few left.

midlife crisis
Beer Superstar

Post by midlife crisis »

Belgian wrote:Yes, if you are hoping that a sale-price product is about 20-30% off at all other stores you will be disappointed.

Boutari Naoussa Xinomavro 2014 was extra-cheap at my Beaches local, but at the Danforth-Broadview location the same wine had no reason to go on sale, apparently.
I honestly did not know this. Now, if only they would advertise.

I mean, sure I've seen bottles of wine marked down two dollars and stale cans of beer with fifty cents off, but eleven bucks off a $37 bottle of bourbon is more of an attention grabber.

portwood

Post by portwood »

yes
I don't usually look for markdowns on beer (usually these sales are for slow moving items, and I'm not keen of stale beer) but have picked up very good deals on whisky in the past. Markdowns are 20-30 % off. However, frequency has declined considerably over the past couple years.

These markdowns are supposed to be final sales (they will put a marker through the UPC code if they do their job properly) but occasionally they "forget" to mark the UPC code and .... you figure out the rest.
@markhamwhisky

midlife crisis
Beer Superstar

Post by midlife crisis »

Mine has a big black mark through the UPC. Plus I've already opened it! :D

sofakingdrunk
Bar Fly

Post by sofakingdrunk »

I've picked up a few decent bottles of tequila, a really good mezcal and a nice cachaca all on sale over the years at the same(speedvale) lcbo. Usually with significant $ off. I havnt noticed much in sale here though for the past year or two. The lcbo closest to my house had absolutely never had any sales that I've noticed, while another one not too far away, almost always has a sale section. Just today I noticed they had black creek apricot ale,some special edition of belvedere vodka and a couple of ports on sale.