Looking for the original Bar Towel blog? You can find it at www.thebartowel.com.

We have a trivia question in order to register to prevent bots. If you have any issues with answering, contact us at cass@bartowel.com for help.

Introducing Light Mode! If you would like a Bar Towel social experience that isn't the traditional blue, you can now select Light Mode. Go to the User Control Panel and then Board Preferences, and select "Day Drinking" (Light Mode) from the My Board Style drop-down menu. You can always switch back to "Night Drinking" (Dark Mode). Enjoy!

Ontario brewed Tripels...

Discuss beer or anything else that comes to mind in here.

Moderators: Craig, Cass

darmokandjalad

Post by darmokandjalad »

The New Limburg and Publican House tripels have been rolling out to stores across SW Ontario over the last few weeks. Saw both of them in Sarnia the other day (and if they're here, it's probably safe to assume they're nearly everywhere). Picked up a bottle of each but haven't cracked 'em open yet.

Interested to see how these two compare with the series of Belgian tripels that I sampled last week (St. Bernardus Tripel, Watou Tripel, Westmalle, Chimay, Karmeliet and a Mill Street Betelgeuse). They were getting close to a year old, and cellaring tripels is generally a waste so I wanted to get them all out asap. Karmeliet was the best of the 6, if anyone cares, with St. Bernardus and Westmalle taking 2nd and 3rd.

beerstodiscover
Bar Fly

Post by beerstodiscover »

Anyone tasted Side Launch or New Limburg's tripels?

sofakingdrunk
Bar Fly

Post by sofakingdrunk »

I did have the new limburg about 2 weeks ago.....that night is a bit foggy though, so I can't remember too many specifics about it. I remember really enjoying it and thinking it quite similar to FDM

MatttthewGeorge
Bar Fly

Post by MatttthewGeorge »

beerstodiscover wrote:Anyone tasted New Limburg's tripel?
Definitely worth a purchase.
untappd/instacrap/facebitch/snapitychat/etc: @matttthewgeorge

beerstodiscover
Bar Fly

Post by beerstodiscover »

Had the New Limburg last night, really good stuff. Lots of bright, fruity esters. No bitterness, which I've found some traditional tripels have, such as Westmalle.

ErkLR

Post by ErkLR »

Since people were talking about it earlier, I thought I'd mention Forked River has Trinity back in stock. You can order it online if you're not in London, I have no idea what the shipping charges are like.

ercousin

Post by ercousin »

Shacklands has a tasty tripel!
GTA Brews - Toronto's Homebrew Club - http://www.gtabrews.ca/

Eric's Brewing Blog - Advanced Homebrewing for the Intermediate Brewer - http://www.ericbrews.com/

Provost Drunk

Post by Provost Drunk »

So MERIT has added to the list of ON brewed experimental tripels with By and By. It's brewed with wine skins and lees. What is the obsession with these types of adjuncts with this style? Would be great to see more tripels that stand on their own.

seangm
Bar Fly

Post by seangm »

Provost Drunk wrote:So MERIT has added to the list of ON brewed experimental tripels with By and By. It's brewed with wine skins and lees. What is the obsession with these types of adjuncts with this style? Would be great to see more tripels that stand on their own.
Haven't you heard, you need a minimum two adjuncts to get all the tickers and trend chasers to try your beer.

Coronaeus

Post by Coronaeus »

seangm wrote:
Provost Drunk wrote:So MERIT has added to the list of ON brewed experimental tripels with By and By. It's brewed with wine skins and lees. What is the obsession with these types of adjuncts with this style? Would be great to see more tripels that stand on their own.
Haven't you heard, you need a minimum two adjuncts to get all the tickers and trend chasers to try your beer.

Where is the like button?

El Pinguino
Seasoned Drinker

Post by El Pinguino »

There are a lot of beers I've had, where I wonder what the base beer would taste like...what a fun beer tasting that could be too.
Try a bunch of base beers, then try their amped up versions.

Considering how difficult it seems for anyone to do a good base tripel in Ontario, I guess this is a safer way to hide any flaws in the base beer.

seangm
Bar Fly

Post by seangm »

El Pinguino wrote:There are a lot of beers I've had, where I wonder what the base beer would taste like...what a fun beer tasting that could be too.
Try a bunch of base beers, then try their amped up versions.

Considering how difficult it seems for anyone to do a good base tripel in Ontario, I guess this is a safer way to hide any flaws in the base beer.
I've had my fair share of occasions where I've enjoyed a beer with an addition, but went back to their base offering and found it just wasn't very good. Then I'm left thinking, I could've just added fruit juice to a cheaper beer at home and saved some money. Definitely feels like additions are being used to hide flaws in some cases, or possibly just bad recipe development.

Damn, our latest batch didn't come out very good at all... That's ok we'll just add 200 kg of fruit puree to it.

Do I sound bitter? Lol. There are definitely some adjunct loaded beers I've loved, but my favourite beers tend to be well executed examples of a given style, free from adulteration.

S. St. Jeb
Seasoned Drinker

Post by S. St. Jeb »

According to an email l got from Henderson Brewing, March 3 is International Tripel Day. Who knew? (not me).

They are promoting their Rube Goldbeer. I've had it, considered it good, but in no way consider myself a judge of the style (or of many other styles for that matter. :wink: ) To those of you who are really into this style, I would be curious what you think of this one.

https://hendersonbrewing.com/beer/rube-goldbeer/

Provost Drunk

Post by Provost Drunk »

S. St. Jeb wrote: Thu Mar 02, 2023 12:57 pm According to an email l got from Henderson Brewing, March 3 is International Tripel Day. Who knew? (not me).

They are promoting their Rube Goldbeer. I've had it, considered it good, but in no way consider myself a judge of the style (or of many other styles for that matter. :wink: ) To those of you who are really into this style, I would be curious what you think of this one.

https://hendersonbrewing.com/beer/rube-goldbeer/
Had a pour at the brewery a few years back, so not sure if the recipe has evolved. I thought it was ok. A little bit sweet and simplistic. I wouldn't put it in the same class as my favourite ON tripels (Godspeed Tobetsu, Abbaye Sept-Minutes, New Limburg). Wouldn't mind re-visiting it though.

seangm
Bar Fly

Post by seangm »

The Int'l Tripel Day was actually started by a local guy, @craftbeerdays (I follow him on Instagram). To his credit he's got a lot of breweries participating this year and releasing tripels specfically for the occasion. It's probably easiest just to link the website, he's got a pretty exhaustive list of breweries participating and who have tripels in their lineup: https://www.tripelday.com/beer-releases

Looks like the style is finally getting its due.