Looking for the original Bar Towel blog? You can find it at www.thebartowel.com.

We have a trivia question in order to register to prevent bots. If you have any issues with answering, contact us at cass@bartowel.com for help.

Introducing Light Mode! If you would like a Bar Towel social experience that isn't the traditional blue, you can now select Light Mode. Go to the User Control Panel and then Board Preferences, and select "Day Drinking" (Light Mode) from the My Board Style drop-down menu. You can always switch back to "Night Drinking" (Dark Mode). Enjoy!

Molson Buys TDD

Discuss beer or anything else that comes to mind in here.

Moderators: Craig, Cass

beerstodiscover
Bar Fly

Post by beerstodiscover »

iguenard wrote:Imperatrice was only ever good in kegs, where it wasn't infected.
Damn, I hope my bottle of Bourbon Barrel L'Impératrice isn't infected!

lplex

Post by lplex »

iguenard wrote:Imperatrice was only ever good in kegs, where it wasn't infected.
The Impératrice I had at the pub a while back was pretty good, but it wasn't Barrel-aged IIRC.
beerstodiscover wrote: Damn, I hope my bottle of Bourbon Barrel L'Impératrice isn't infected!
2012 bottles are clearly infected, I’m not sure about the 2016 batch.

iguenard
Seasoned Drinker

Post by iguenard »

lplex wrote:
The Impératrice I had at the pub a while back was pretty good, but it wasn't Barrel-aged IIRC.
beerstodiscover wrote: Damn, I hope my bottle of Bourbon Barrel L'Impératrice isn't infected!
2012 bottles are clearly infected, I’m not sure about the 2016 batch.
All Impératrice is Barrel-Aged.

Cass
Beer Superstar

Post by Cass »

I wonder how it will affect participation/inclusion in the likes of Cask Days, availability at top tier beer bars and that kind of thing. Presumably the same guys will be there (at least for a little while) - not many cases I can think of where brewers with good personal relationships around have become "big". Wasn't the case with Creemore & Unibroue I don't think. Uncharted territory.

BeerIsGood

Post by BeerIsGood »

When a Macro does this type of purchase I would like to think/hope that they know what they are doing and why they are doing it. It's the goose that laid the golden egg thing. While I love the idea of independent micros, I understand that like every other business, it is a business. At the end of the day, it's the quality of the beer that matters most to me. If that doesn't suffer, ownership is a secondary concern.

S. St. Jeb
Seasoned Drinker

Post by S. St. Jeb »

BeerIsGood wrote:When a Macro does this type of purchase I would like to think/hope that they know what they are doing and why they are doing it. It's the goose that laid the golden egg thing. While I love the idea of independent micros, I understand that like every other business, it is a business. At the end of the day, it's the quality of the beer that matters most to me. If that doesn't suffer, ownership is a secondary concern.
I get this from the perspective of having the beer in your glass. But there's still part of me that prefers to support the small breweries and entrepreneurs that have changed and expanded the beers available to us, rather than the opportunistic corporations.