Looking for the original Bar Towel blog? You can find it at www.thebartowel.com.

We have a trivia question in order to register to prevent bots. If you have any issues with answering, contact us at cass@bartowel.com for help.

Introducing Light Mode! If you would like a Bar Towel social experience that isn't the traditional blue, you can now select Light Mode. Go to the User Control Panel and then Board Preferences, and select "Day Drinking" (Light Mode) from the My Board Style drop-down menu. You can always switch back to "Night Drinking" (Dark Mode). Enjoy!

Holiday supplies...

Discuss beer or anything else that comes to mind in here.

Moderators: Craig, Cass

BeerIsGood

Holiday supplies...

Post by BeerIsGood »

Just curious about what people are drinking over the coming holidays, as the Christmas/New Year period has long been one where I enjoy some quality beers. Here's some of what I have laid in for the festive season.

Amager Rye King
Oud Beersel Oude Geuze Vieille
Halcyon Barrel House Infinity Mirror
Goose Island Sofie
Brasserie D'Achouffe McChouffe
New Holland Dragon's Milk
Boulevard Bourbon Barrel Quad
Nickel Brook Cuvee Reserve
Rodenbach Grand Cru
Beau's New Lang Syne
Brasseurs RJ Apocalypse

and some five year old bottles of Chimay Blue, Orval, Rochefort 10 and Peche Mortel, which will be compared with recent bottles of Chimay Blue, Rochefort 10 and Peche Mortel.

Cheers to the holidays.

sofakingdrunk
Bar Fly

Post by sofakingdrunk »

I'm going to be getting into my last magnum of Avec bons Veux for sure with the family at Xmas dinner.
Probably have my last Barncat Rat queen from 2016.
I've got an infinity mirror I picked up based on some recommendations on here.
A good amount of mcchouffe d'ice and backwoods bastard
2013 van de kaiser blauw.
2013 goose island Pepe Nero
2014 unibroue 17
And of course, copious amounts of readily available everyday beer(mostly London pride,founders mosaic promise and bench balls falls probably)
*edit: just picked up a few bottles each of Barncat Rat queen de la muerte and Rat queen barrel aged. So at least one of each of those will be had for the season.
Last edited by sofakingdrunk on Sat Dec 16, 2017 1:08 pm, edited 1 time in total.

seangm
Bar Fly

Post by seangm »

I've got a stupid amount of large format imperial stouts to get through, as much as I love them not enough of my friends and family will help me out with those larger bottles. A bottle of GLB 25th Anniversary Bourbon Barrel Aged RIS stands out at this moment, hoping to compare it to the RIS they did for their 30th. I've got a couple Nickel Brook Bastards from 2014-2016 as well, 1 Winey and 2 Kentuckys I believe. After I'm through those I think I'll start drinking the Cantillon I got back in the summer. Sadly I only have 3 bottles since we were "backpacking" through central Europe, and I could only lug so much beer in my suitcase.

For New Year's I'm undecided. Maybe my bottle of Saison Dupont from the last time it was offered in the 750 ml format? It's gonna be a good holiday season!

Masterplan
Bar Fly

Post by Masterplan »

I'd agree on the imperial/barrel aged stouts. They're just everywhere these days...

BeerIsGood

Post by BeerIsGood »

I also just uncovered four 750ml cork and caged bottles of St. B. 12 that have also been resting for five years. They were in a different box, so I missed them the first time through.

Belgian
Bar Towel Legend

Post by Belgian »

I have a few I don't know when I will share. Some 2012 Deus, some aged Blau, a 1500ml of BD Avec Les Bons Voeux, one more 2013 Double Tempest, a GLB 25th BBA RIS might all be candidates.

GLB 25th is definitely ripe for the picking it seems - they say 3 years, ah whatevs. The '13 Double Tempest I had last year was great, that one could probably wait.
The Deus I want to bury in the snow for a few hours when I get to that one.

I still haven't tried the Armand & Tomme from 2014. On my own that one.
In Beerum Veritas

El Pinguino
Seasoned Drinker

Post by El Pinguino »

I've got a 2013-2017 Bellwoods Motley Cru tasting to do over the holidays, depending when I can get people together.
Have regular Amsterdam Tempests 2012-2014 to open too.
Have a bunch of various Chimays I want to get through too.

Belgian
Bar Towel Legend

Post by Belgian »

Penguino those original Tempests are drinking GOOD - never mind the short expiry window Amsterdam mentioned, u will enjoy.

Also why I think Double will hold on even longer if needed.

* EDIT * - please post tasting notes of these now-rare Tempest vintages if you remember to.
Last edited by Belgian on Sat Dec 16, 2017 3:16 pm, edited 1 time in total.
In Beerum Veritas

El Pinguino
Seasoned Drinker

Post by El Pinguino »

Good to know Belgian!
I had been hearing good things....which recently reminded me it may be time to pop those last ones.
:D

Craig
Seasoned Drinker

Post by Craig »

For what it's worth, I did a vertical of tempest a couple of years ago and I liked it best at about a year old.