Looking for the original Bar Towel blog? You can find it at www.thebartowel.com.

We have a trivia question in order to register to prevent bots. If you have any issues with answering, contact us at cass@bartowel.com for help.

Introducing Light Mode! If you would like a Bar Towel social experience that isn't the traditional blue, you can now select Light Mode. Go to the User Control Panel and then Board Preferences, and select "Day Drinking" (Light Mode) from the My Board Style drop-down menu. You can always switch back to "Night Drinking" (Dark Mode). Enjoy!

Okay...someone explain 11.9 abv to me...

Discuss beer or anything else that comes to mind in here.

Moderators: Craig, Cass

JeffPorter
Beer Superstar

Okay...someone explain 11.9 abv to me...

Post by JeffPorter »

Why are so many Strong Ontario beers tapped out at 11.9%?

Is there something about the tax structure? A secret code.

Double Tempest
All the GLB releases
Kentucky Bastard

What’s the deal?
"What can you say about Pabst Blue Ribbon that Dennis Hopper hasn’t screamed in the middle of an ether binge?" - Jordan St. John

Napalm Frog

Post by Napalm Frog »

Legally, it's not beer if it's over 11.9%, one would need a distillery license
beer or malt liquor means all fermented liquor that is brewed in whole or in part from malt, grain or any saccharine matter without any process of distillation and that has an alcoholic strength not in excess of 11.9% absolute ethyl alcohol by volume, but does not include wine as defined in section 2 of the Excise Act, 2001; (bière ou liqueur de malt)
Definition from: http://laws-lois.justice.gc.ca/eng/acts ... age-3.html

Belgian
Bar Towel Legend

Post by Belgian »

Ontarded.
In Beerum Veritas

BeerIsGood

Post by BeerIsGood »

Yet, beer above this threshold is permitted for sale in the province, as Samichlaus, which clocks in at 14%, was part of the winter release and has been here in the past as well.

As an aside, I'd like another crack at Sami, as the first time I tried it many, many years ago proved not to be enjoyable for me. A lot of experience has been gained and a reassessment would be nice. I see it's out of stock at the LCBO.

I stand corrected, it's only out of stock online.

JeffPorter
Beer Superstar

Post by JeffPorter »

But what about Where the buffalo Roam at 13%? So a beer can’t be 12 % but it can be 13?
"What can you say about Pabst Blue Ribbon that Dennis Hopper hasn’t screamed in the middle of an ether binge?" - Jordan St. John

ErkLR

Post by ErkLR »

Belgian wrote:Ontarded.
That's a federal law Napalm Frog quoted, see the website.

For imports, my guess is: other countries probably define beer differently, and the LCBO can certainly import liquors (ie "beer" that is above 11.9%) and put them in whatever section they like.

Jeff, Beer Advocate, Ratebeer and Untappd all list Buffalo Roam as 11.2

beerstodiscover
Bar Fly

Post by beerstodiscover »

Domestic brewers can exceed 11.9%. Last year's Kentucky Bastard was 14.5% and countless other examples. There is some regulatory hoop to jump through and possibly tax implications. It's not stopping NB, Cameron's and others . . .

ErkLR

Post by ErkLR »

beerstodiscover wrote:Last year's Kentucky Bastard was 14.5% and countless other examples. There is some regulatory hoop to jump through and possibly tax implications.
That's a good point. Extra tax could be why they were losing money on it if I recall correctly from another thread.

beerstodiscover
Bar Fly

Bartowel has the answers.

From what I gather a brewer would need a distillers licence. I'm sure Flying Monkey's was selling Invictus at the brewery and LCBO @17.5% abv.
Last edited by beerstodiscover on Thu Dec 14, 2017 7:29 pm, edited 1 time in total.

MatttthewGeorge
Bar Fly

Post by MatttthewGeorge »

I believe NB has the proper licence due to the brew your own wine store on premise.
untappd/instacrap/facebitch/snapitychat/etc: @matttthewgeorge

beerstodiscover
Bar Fly

I think breweries were flouting the rules until a few years back when there was a crackdown and 11.9 appeared everywhere. I'd rather let a brewer decide how strong a brew should be, especially if I'm paying a premium for a special release. I would guess some brews are 11.9 in name only.

You can search for active distillers licences in Ontario. I can only spot Brick, Mill St. and Muskoka. Yet there's a 13% barley wine from Cameron's on LCBO shleves. Hmmm...

Craig
Seasoned Drinker

Post by Craig »

beerstodiscover wrote:I think breweries were flouting the rules until a few years back when there was a crackdown and 11.9 appeared everywhere. I'd rather let a brewer decide how strong a brew should be, especially if I'm paying a premium for a special release. I would guess some brews are 11.9 in name only.

You can search for active distillers licences in Ontario. I can only spot Brick, Mill St. and Muskoka. Yet there's a 13% barley wine from Cameron's on LCBO shleves. Hmmm...
This is my understanding. There was a crackdown and brewers started fudging the numbers to make everything under 12. I believe that since then they've stopped enforcing it again, so the abvs have gone back up.

El Pinguino
Seasoned Drinker

Post by El Pinguino »

I remember Amsterdam Double tempest from last year came in quite a bit higher than the 11.9% limit and they had to re-adjust it somehow to get to 11.9% as Amsterdam didn't have the right license.

No idea what that would involve...I mean they don't just "water it down" do they?

seangm
Bar Fly

Post by seangm »

El Pinguino wrote:I remember Amsterdam Double tempest from last year came in quite a bit higher than the 11.9% limit and they had to re-adjust it somehow to get to 11.9% as Amsterdam didn't have the right license.

No idea what that would involve...I mean they don't just "water it down" do they?
Probably not straight up water, but possibly cutting it with a complementary lower ABV beer; i.e. blending in a 5% ABV stout until they hit the desired strength.

atomeyes
Beer Superstar

Post by atomeyes »

ErkLR wrote:
beerstodiscover wrote:Last year's Kentucky Bastard was 14.5% and countless other examples. There is some regulatory hoop to jump through and possibly tax implications.
That's a good point. Extra tax could be why they were losing money on it if I recall correctly from another thread.
from what i understand....
12% is the maximum, but you have 1% abv "error wiggle room". so you can measure at 12.9%.
it's just not the distiller's license. i believe it has to do with the excise that you pay above 12%.
high abv beer aren't "efficient" beer i.e. you leave a lot of sugars in the grain. that, plus the aging time plus the higher taxes means it's probably not affordable to make higher than 12% beer (on purpose).

XX Tempest, i believe, got dinged 2 years ago for being too high. may have been the AGCO.

i don't understand what happened with Nickelbrook's high abv beer and how they got away with it.