Looking for the original Bar Towel blog? You can find it at www.thebartowel.com.

We have a trivia question in order to register to prevent bots. If you have any issues with answering, contact us at cass@bartowel.com for help.

Introducing Light Mode! If you would like a Bar Towel social experience that isn't the traditional blue, you can now select Light Mode. Go to the User Control Panel and then Board Preferences, and select "Day Drinking" (Light Mode) from the My Board Style drop-down menu. You can always switch back to "Night Drinking" (Dark Mode). Enjoy!

AB Inbev buys Big data

Discuss beer or anything else that comes to mind in here.

Moderators: Craig, Cass

Uncle Bobby

AB Inbev buys Big data

Post by Uncle Bobby »

(Re: subject line,) "So drunk I'm alliterating like a beatnik." - Capt. Holt from "Brooklyn Nine-nine"

Washington Post article on ABI's attempts to purchase and leverage data sources for understanding consumer trends in this sector. https://www.washingtonpost.com/lifestyl ... 7478d959f0

I am probably months late on the announcement that ABI is now an investor in RateBeer.

And wouldn't it be cheaper for them to simply improve the quality of their beer?

The author suggests -- wrongly in my opinion -- that craft beer consumers stop drinking craft brews once the brewery is purchased by a macro. At least if the author's inference is that we change habits out of some kind of political or economic vindictiveness.

I would suggest instead that consumers are not gong to wait around to find that some of their favourite brews are heading downhill, that the focus on ingredients and flavours are being watered down both literally and figuratively. Because a lot of us quality beer consumers are invested in the success of the small brewers, emotionally if not financially. (Go ahead -- scoff. Admittedly, I do not put in the long hours year after year after year.) In a word, the beers get shittier at some point or another. People are not going to wait around to be disappointed and to have their hearts broken.

[Signed] Not-Uncle Bobby because my account was probably hacked
::::::::::::::::::::::
"It's ma-a-a-gic!"