Looking for the original Bar Towel blog? You can find it at www.thebartowel.com.

We have a trivia question in order to register to prevent bots. If you have any issues with answering, contact us at cass@bartowel.com for help.

Introducing Light Mode! If you would like a Bar Towel social experience that isn't the traditional blue, you can now select Light Mode. Go to the User Control Panel and then Board Preferences, and select "Day Drinking" (Light Mode) from the My Board Style drop-down menu. You can always switch back to "Night Drinking" (Dark Mode). Enjoy!

Pilsner Urquell canned two days ago?

Discuss beer or anything else that comes to mind in here.

Moderators: Craig, Cass

DeMarco

Pilsner Urquell canned two days ago?

Post by DeMarco »

Hoping someone can explain how this is possible.

I'm assuming Pilsner Urquell is still brewed in the Czech. I was at TBS in leaside last night returning some empties. I decided to grab a few Pilsner Urquell cans and I had noticed one case at the production day of May 2017, then I noticed one in the back had a production date of 01 30 18" and expiry of 09 30 18. Is it even possible that this was actually canned 2 days ago in Czech then on the shelves here? Looking for a little knowledge on the brewery.

portwood

Post by portwood »

I've only ever seen the expiry date. Are both dates on the packaging, or are you calculating back the 01 30 18 based on the expiry?

From what I've read*, In this case 09 30 18 would imply a 12 30 17 packaging date
(add 3 to the months, subtract one from the year - i.e. 9 month shelf life)

*I'm no expert but this being the internet and finding myself with nothing better to do on a Saturday morning, I felt compelled to throw my 2c at the wall to see if it sticks :lol:
@markhamwhisky

beerstodiscover
Bar Fly

Post by beerstodiscover »

I'd bet it was a mistake on the dating machine. How does it taste?

Tapsucker
Seasoned Drinker

Post by Tapsucker »

I am curious about something. This is a lager. Lagers are lagered. How does a beer that is lagered square with one that is 'fresh'? When does that 'fresh" date start? At packaging?

Also, how much can really go wrong in a can? Assuming stable product going in and not outrageously long shelf time or bad temps. We're not talking bottles or casks here...
Brands are for cattle.
Fans are cash cows.
The herd will consume until consumed.

El Pinguino
Seasoned Drinker

Post by El Pinguino »

I was going to say...was it actually canned in the Czech Republic...or is it brewed somewhere here too? But I suppose not....

portwood

Post by portwood »

DeMarco wrote:Hoping someone can explain how this is possible.
...then I noticed one in the back had a production date of 01 30 18" and expiry of 09 30 18. Is it even possible that this was actually canned 2 days ago in Czech then on the shelves here? Looking for a little knowledge on the brewery.
I don't know how to post photos on here so I'll link to my twitter post
looks like you may have missed the leading zero in the production date 030118.
@markhamwhisky

DeMarco

Post by DeMarco »

portwood wrote:
DeMarco wrote:Hoping someone can explain how this is possible.
...then I noticed one in the back had a production date of 01 30 18" and expiry of 09 30 18. Is it even possible that this was actually canned 2 days ago in Czech then on the shelves here? Looking for a little knowledge on the brewery.
I don't know how to post photos on here so I'll link to my twitter post
looks like you may have missed the leading zero in the production date 030118.
It's very possible now that I see that. But it also makes me question, why is it 8 months and 27/28 days from production to expiry.