Looking for the original Bar Towel blog? You can find it at www.thebartowel.com.

We have a trivia question in order to register to prevent bots. If you have any issues with answering, contact us at cass@bartowel.com for help.

Introducing Light Mode! If you would like a Bar Towel social experience that isn't the traditional blue, you can now select Light Mode. Go to the User Control Panel and then Board Preferences, and select "Day Drinking" (Light Mode) from the My Board Style drop-down menu. You can always switch back to "Night Drinking" (Dark Mode). Enjoy!

Best Craft Pilsners at the LCBO right now

Discuss beer or anything else that comes to mind in here.

Moderators: Craig, Cass

Coronaeus

Best Craft Pilsners at the LCBO right now

Post by Coronaeus »

Hoping those of you who drink more lagers than I do can help with this. I have a friend up from Florida on the weekend who wants to bring back some local craft Pilsners (and good lagers). What would you currently recommend from the LCBO? They can be traditional or not.

Cheers.

sofakingdrunk
Bar Fly

Post by sofakingdrunk »

Sawdust city-"a place to stand" Or something along those lines. I really enjoyed that beer a lot this summer.
I've also drank a fair amount of Side launch mountain lager the last couple months.

darmokandjalad

Post by darmokandjalad »

Side Launch Mountain Lager is a good lager (I think it's a Helles rather than a pils, but close enough). Some other suggestions:

- Mascot Pilsner
- Amsterdam 2018 Traditional Style Pilsner
- Thornbury Pickup No. 26 Pils
- Flying Monkeys Mythology Pils
- Hops & Robbers Unfiltered Pils
- Collingwood Rockwell Pilsner

as always, keep an eye on the canning dates. Anything older than November is probably past its prime at this point (especially if it is sitting on an unrefrigerated shelf).

S. St. Jeb
Seasoned Drinker

Post by S. St. Jeb »

darmokandjalad wrote:- Mascot Pilsner
I liked these two.

I'll add these. As best as I can recall they were all decent.

Common Good Sociable Pilsner
Kensington Market Pils
Walkerville Purity Pils

And I know not all like it, but how about a Steamwhistle.

beerstodiscover
Bar Fly

Post by beerstodiscover »

I think Creemore's lagers are among the best in the province and are usually super fresh, deciphering the date code isn't too hard.

However, they may not meet your definition of craft as they are owned by Molson-Coors.

Coronaeus

Post by Coronaeus »

Thanks for the replies. I’ll grab the Side Launch (always liked that one) and a few of the others. I already have some Bellweiser and Paper Tiger for him too. And I am stopping by Muddy York today for a couple.

I need to try a few more of these myself. I like a good lager but never seem to buy any.

sofakingdrunk
Bar Fly

Post by sofakingdrunk »

darmokandjalad wrote:Side Launch Mountain Lager is a good lager (I think it's a Helles rather than a pils, but close enough). Some other suggestions:

- Mascot Pilsner
- Thornbury Pickup No. 26 Pils
- Flying Monkeys Mythology Pils
- Hops & Robbers Unfiltered Pils
- Collingwood Rockwell Pilsner

as always, keep an eye on the canning dates. Anything older than November is probably past its prime at this point (especially if it is sitting on an unrefrigerated shelf).
I always liked the King Pilsner back in the day before Thor bury bought them. I'm assuming the 26 pickup is the same??

BeerIsGood

Post by BeerIsGood »

I like Crushable Pilsner By Parsons Brewing. Although, since they are in Prince Edward County and relatively new, I'm not sure how many have tried that one yet.

darmokandjalad

Post by darmokandjalad »

sofakingdrunk wrote:I always liked the King Pilsner back in the day before Thor bury bought them. I'm assuming the 26 pickup is the same??
Yep, they are one in the same.