Looking for the original Bar Towel blog? You can find it at www.thebartowel.com.

We have a trivia question in order to register to prevent bots. If you have any issues with answering, contact us at cass@bartowel.com for help.

Introducing Light Mode! If you would like a Bar Towel social experience that isn't the traditional blue, you can now select Light Mode. Go to the User Control Panel and then Board Preferences, and select "Day Drinking" (Light Mode) from the My Board Style drop-down menu. You can always switch back to "Night Drinking" (Dark Mode). Enjoy!

Getting beer back from Belgium?

Discuss beer or anything else that comes to mind in here.

Moderators: Craig, Cass

Cadbury102

Getting beer back from Belgium?

Post by Cadbury102 »

I'm going to be in Belgium in May and I've been wondering about the best way to get beer back to Ontario. I thought I'd ask those of you that have went how you've typically done it. Do you mail it back? Bring it in your luggage? I was really hoping to somehow get as much beer back as possible, as I don't know when I'll be going back to Belgium, if at all.

JerCraigs
Beer Superstar

Post by JerCraigs »

I bought a second suitcase while I was there and checked it.

S. St. Jeb
Seasoned Drinker

Post by S. St. Jeb »

I have brought beer back from Europe in my checked luggage. I have been over the limit, not by an outrageous amount, but over nonetheless, have always declared it, and have never had a problem.

Cadbury102

Post by Cadbury102 »

This is good to know - thanks you two.

Would you recommend that I bring packing supplies like bubble wrap if I'm going to buy an extra suitcase?

Masterplan
Bar Fly

Post by Masterplan »

If you're going to declare it, why not just check a box of beer?

Belgian
Bar Towel Legend

Post by Belgian »

Cadbury102 wrote:Would you recommend that I bring packing supplies like bubble wrap if I'm going to buy an extra suitcase?
Not really. On the few times I've flown with beer, I would wrap things in socks and tee shirts and whatnot, use what you've got in other words augmented with whatever bags & newspaper etc are handy. Actually I did bring a dozen zip lock bags one time but not certain how well they would contain a leak or a break.

Packing heavy beer bottles is honestly kind of a pain and makes the baggage weight excessive. I likely won't bother much again. But never mind me, go have fun!
In Beerum Veritas

JerCraigs
Beer Superstar

Post by JerCraigs »

Cadbury102 wrote: Would you recommend that I bring packing supplies like bubble wrap if I'm going to buy an extra suitcase?
Depends how many bottles you are bringing vs clothing. We often bring some plastic grocery bags (handy for separating laundry anyways). Wrap bottles in socks, clothing and plastic bag just in case.

Cadbury102

Post by Cadbury102 »

Masterplan wrote:If you're going to declare it, why not just check a box of beer?
I'd thought about that but my main concern would be breakage.
Belgian wrote:Not really. On the few times I've flown with beer, I would wrap things in socks and tee shirts and whatnot, use what you've got in other words augmented with whatever bags & newspaper etc are handy. Actually I did bring a dozen zip lock bags one time but not certain how well they would contain a leak or a break.

Packing heavy beer bottles is honestly kind of a pain and makes the baggage weight excessive. I likely won't bother much again. But never mind me, go have fun!
I like the idea of ziploc bags. In terms of weight of the baggage, I'm not too concerned - 50lbs of beer is plenty :)
JerCraigs wrote:Depends how many bottles you are bringing vs clothing. We often bring some plastic grocery bags (handy for separating laundry anyways). Wrap bottles in socks, clothing and plastic bag just in case.
I'm purposely packing very light. In line with your first reply to me, having an empty suitcase for the return will allow for plenty of room.