Looking for the original Bar Towel blog? You can find it at www.thebartowel.com.

We have a trivia question in order to register to prevent bots. If you have any issues with answering, contact us at cass@bartowel.com for help.

Introducing Light Mode! If you would like a Bar Towel social experience that isn't the traditional blue, you can now select Light Mode. Go to the User Control Panel and then Board Preferences, and select "Day Drinking" (Light Mode) from the My Board Style drop-down menu. You can always switch back to "Night Drinking" (Dark Mode). Enjoy!

Doug Ford

Discuss beer or anything else that comes to mind in here.

Moderators: Craig, Cass

Belgian
Bar Towel Legend

Post by Belgian »

Buck-a-beer is a vestige firmly set in a past that will not be coming back. Elite-class North Americans also used to think tyranny and servitude were good things, Ford likely thinks so and I don't think every idea from the past is workable or even desirable.

MBABGA? No thanks, Doug you big fat head.

And by the way I'm not defending the aspirational price increases of some Ontario breweries every five minutes. Much as I love them, I'm leaving them, more often than not. It's entertaining to watch though!
In Beerum Veritas

Tapsucker
Seasoned Drinker

Post by Tapsucker »

I'm still waiting for some smart ass brewer to release a 150ml can for a buck each.

Actually, it would be a great idea for a craft brewer. Get the premium display space and sell a sample size product that people new to your beer might say, "what they hey? I'll give it a try. It's a small enough to pour out if I don't like it."

I think I saw somewhere that the cost of the can is about the same as the cost of the beer inside, so that might make it a nonstarter, though.
Brands are for cattle.
Fans are cash cows.
The herd will consume until consumed.

BeerIsGood

Post by BeerIsGood »

Tapsucker wrote:I'm still waiting for some smart ass brewer to release a 150ml can for a buck each.

Actually, it would be a great idea for a craft brewer. Get the premium display space and sell a sample size product that people new to your beer might say, "what they hey? I'll give it a try. It's a small enough to pour out if I don't like it."

I think I saw somewhere that the cost of the can is about the same as the cost of the beer inside, so that might make it a nonstarter, though.
I never drank from the format, but I seem to recall a few beers in cans referred to as a Pony, which I believe were 200 or 225ml. Could possibly work in that format.

Tapsucker
Seasoned Drinker

Post by Tapsucker »

I've also come to appreciate the public health value of price floors (yeah, me). Having traveled in jurisdictions with absurdly low prices and seen some of the cultural problems. Europe in particular, where drinking is culturally very accepted and cheep alcohol is seeing quite a lot of abuse. For instance, much has been made of the demise of the UK pub as people choose to binge up at home on cheap grocery store booze.

I'd hate to see our pubs and craft brewers who are trying to pay a living wage, succumb to what is happening over there.

Personally, I have seen one major health benefit of beer pricing. As 14 and 16 oz 'pints' of captive 'craft' and premium beers in big chain pubs have edged past the $10 mark when you factor in tip, I've just stopped going to those places. The health benefits are two-fold. I don't end up tempted to eat their shitty food and my mental health isn't stressed by being in their annoying environments.

On the other hand, I have to appreciate that I am able to afford good beer. Ford's populist message plays right into the fact that there are plenty of people who are not as fortunate as me. Sadly, many may also be vulnerable.
Brands are for cattle.
Fans are cash cows.
The herd will consume until consumed.

BigBob

Post by BigBob »

These are all fair points. The world is a more expensive place than when we last had buck-a-beer.

With all this attention, and some of it does come off as condescending, I wonder if someone is liable to recall the tax breaks that craft beer brewers benefit from and start asking questions. For my part, if it costs $5 to make a living selling Robohop without government funds that is what I will pay. I don't buy my art by the yard.

Belgian
Bar Towel Legend

Post by Belgian »

Tapsucker wrote:I've also come to appreciate the public health value of price floors (yeah, me). Having traveled in jurisdictions with absurdly low prices and seen some of the cultural problems. Europe in particular, where drinking is culturally very accepted and cheep alcohol is seeing quite a lot of abuse..
It is? You mention the UK. If we were to compare notes I've not seen this 'particularly European' pattern in many places of mainland Europe I have stayed (and in Germany alcohol is very cheap for its market.) Maybe I'm not looking critically enough, or I project my own sensibilities on what I see. Many lightweight drinkers that I know.

Far as UK people binging up at home, you think that's because UK pubs are getting pricey? Pubs would be a moderating environment. What you describe reminds me of kids boozing up on the cheap outside of super expensive Toronto Clubs. But it's depressing the UK looks this way today.
On the other hand, I have to appreciate that I am able to afford good beer...
A sure sign of wealth today!

Kids save your money, it'll add up. Even daily coffee house purchases add up to a nice new car every 15-20 years.
In Beerum Veritas

beerstodiscover
Bar Fly

Post by beerstodiscover »

Looks like Dougie's gang plans to extend retail booze selling hours on Sundays.

"Finance Minister Vic Fedeli said the hours of retail alcohol sales will be extended to between 9 a.m. and 11 p.m., seven days a week."

Currently, it's 11-6 on Sundays for non-brewery retailers.

portwood

Post by portwood »

beerstodiscover wrote:https://www.ontario.ca/page/have-your-s ... the-people

Seems like a window may be opening
I filled out the survey the other day but it was a big waste of time
Government bureaucrats and politicians ALREADY KNOW what the people of Ontario want - surveys are just a way of appearing to be doing something, allowing more time to keep the status quo
@markhamwhisky

beerstodiscover
Bar Fly

Call me optimistic but there could be real value in getting feedback from brewers, event organizers, bars/restaurants. Surveys are useful tools and Dougy wants to be Mr. Open For Business. Updating the puritan beer regulations is low-hanging fruit with minimal electoral cost, perhaps even a gain. Although deregulation, if done right, would likely piss off the big macros.

cratez
Beer Superstar

Post by cratez »

Looks like the Ontario Craft Brewers have launched a campaign calling for "craft beer freedom" in the alcohol retail market:

https://www.craftbeerfreedom.ca

Long story short, they are asking for private liquor stores / speciality shops, as well as alcohol sales in corner stores and big-box stores. Gas stations appear to be the only thing left off the table. The site allows you to send a letter to your local MPP demanding expanded access to craft beer via these channels.

Some press coverage here:

https://www.cbc.ca/news/canada/toronto/ ... -1.4992314
"Bar people do not live as long as vegan joggers. However, they have more fun." - Bruce Elliott

beerstodiscover
Bar Fly

Josh Rubin has a nice article outlining the proposed pro-beer changes in the latest Ontario budget.

lister
Beer Superstar

Post by lister »

At least we're getting some good things from that twat.

And we may stay in DST too. Win.

Hopefully next election has a different outcome.
lister