Looking for the original Bar Towel blog? You can find it at www.thebartowel.com.

We have a trivia question in order to register to prevent bots. If you have any issues with answering, contact us at cass@bartowel.com for help.

Introducing Light Mode! If you would like a Bar Towel social experience that isn't the traditional blue, you can now select Light Mode. Go to the User Control Panel and then Board Preferences, and select "Day Drinking" (Light Mode) from the My Board Style drop-down menu. You can always switch back to "Night Drinking" (Dark Mode). Enjoy!

Fuller’s sold to Asahi

Discuss beer or anything else that comes to mind in here.

Moderators: Craig, Cass

GtownRandy

Fuller’s sold to Asahi

Post by GtownRandy »

Tapsucker
Seasoned Drinker

Post by Tapsucker »

So,the two takeaways I got from this article is that Fullers would prefer to be a hospitality brand (because they can't find a way to do all that well in brewing) and that Asahi now also owns Pilsner Urquell, which was a surprise to me.

I can't say I'm all that sentimental about this. Sure your brewery is a few centuries old, but there's so many young ones ready to take your place with something new. Give them a chance.
Brands are for cattle.
Fans are cash cows.
The herd will consume until consumed.

seangm
Bar Fly

Post by seangm »

Tapsucker wrote:So,the two takeaways I got from this article is that Fullers would prefer to be a hospitality brand (because they can't find a way to do all that well in brewing) and that Asahi now also owns Pilsner Urquell, which was a surprise to me.

I can't say I'm all that sentimental about this. Sure your brewery is a few centuries old, but there's so many young ones ready to take your place with something new. Give them a chance.
New for the sake of new isn't necessarily a good thing. Fuller's Porter is a standby for me, and their Imperial Stout and Vintage Ale are both world class beers. In a world of trend-chasing adjunct-laden beers it's nice to have some constants. I'm not one who cares too much about ownership either, and while I predominantly support local, I'll keep buying Fuller's beers as long as the recipes remain unmolested.

cratez
Beer Superstar

Post by cratez »

I'm not thrilled about this, but as far as I can tell Pilsner Urquell has maintained its integrity/quality, so let's hope we see the same outcome with Fuller's. Reading the article it sounds like they have negotiated a guarantee to continue operating and brewing at the Griffin facility, but no specific mention of whether or not they will also start contract brewing beers at other breweries (always a possibility in these scenarios).
"Bar people do not live as long as vegan joggers. However, they have more fun." - Bruce Elliott

Tapsucker
Seasoned Drinker

Post by Tapsucker »

seangm wrote:
Tapsucker wrote:So,the two takeaways I got from this article is that Fullers would prefer to be a hospitality brand (because they can't find a way to do all that well in brewing) and that Asahi now also owns Pilsner Urquell, which was a surprise to me.

New for the sake of new isn't necessarily a good thing. Fuller's Porter is a standby for me, and their Imperial Stout and Vintage Ale are both world class beers. In a world of trend-chasing adjunct-laden beers it's nice to have some constants. I'm not one who cares too much about ownership either, and while I predominantly support local, I'll keep buying Fuller's beers as long as the recipes remain unmolested.
By no means am I trashing Fullers beer. It just appears their business as a brewer has become less interesting to them (or their shareholders) than owning a pub chain. If they had focused on brewing, who knows? They might have failed altogether or perhaps done something innovative in order to survive. They might have also cut costs and sacrificed quality. These things can go many ways. It seems to me they were just screwed up by a few MBA's like so many companies. Maybe they will get into self driving cars next. It's a good fit for a chain of pubs to expand into. Call yourself a '"mobility company" and attract lots of investment. :roll:
Brands are for cattle.
Fans are cash cows.

Tapsucker
Seasoned Drinker

Post by Tapsucker »

cratez wrote:I'm not thrilled about this, but as far as I can tell Pilsner Urquell has maintained its integrity/quality, so let's hope we see the same outcome with Fuller's. Reading the article it sounds like they have negotiated a guarantee to continue operating and brewing at the Griffin facility, but no specific mention of whether or not they will also start contract brewing beers at other breweries (always a possibility in these scenarios).
I've always maintained that since every brewery needs a source of capital, it's probably best for that source to be a brewer and not a bank. Even if it's a giant ''beverage'' company, they still understand the business better than a banker would.
Brands are for cattle.
Fans are cash cows.