Looking for the original Bar Towel blog? You can find it at www.thebartowel.com.

We have a trivia question in order to register to prevent bots. If you have any issues with answering, contact us at cass@bartowel.com for help.

Introducing Light Mode! If you would like a Bar Towel social experience that isn't the traditional blue, you can now select Light Mode. Go to the User Control Panel and then Board Preferences, and select "Day Drinking" (Light Mode) from the My Board Style drop-down menu. You can always switch back to "Night Drinking" (Dark Mode). Enjoy!

Who are the best choices for cider?

Discuss beer or anything else that comes to mind in here.

Moderators: Craig, Cass

duckdown

Who are the best choices for cider?

Post by duckdown »

I’ve only tried Revel.

How do they rank. And who else is worth checking out? I’m ordering this week

Craig
Seasoned Drinker

Post by Craig »

As far as I know, Revel and West Avenue are the best of the cideries out there, but I'm not as familiar with them as I am the breweries.

sofakingdrunk
Bar Fly

Post by sofakingdrunk »

Craig wrote:As far as I know, Revel and West Avenue are the best of the cideries out there, but I'm not as familiar with them as I am the breweries.

Agreed, if your looking for something more unique and interesting.
As far as more generic offering go, Thornbury is possibly
My fav normal cider. Spirit Tree has some really tasting stuff as well. Their dry hoped cider a few years ago was fantastic. Had it agin last year and wasn’t as impressed as the first time.
Occasionally you’ll see some really great bottles straight from Normandy or Brittany which are absolutely worth grabbing.

seangm
Bar Fly

Post by seangm »

Collective Arts does ciders. Granted I don't know a whole lot about cider, but I liked their Local Press when I tried it. Thornbury Honey Crisp too, although that might be part bias because honey crisp apples are my absolute favourite variety.

JerCraigs
Beer Superstar

Post by JerCraigs »

Craig wrote:As far as I know, Revel and West Avenue are the best of the cideries out there, but I'm not as familiar with them as I am the breweries.
Agreed. I personally find West Avenue more consistently good, but partly that is because Revel does a lot of interesting experimental stuff that are misses for me, that might be hits for someone else.

Applewood and Archibald both do some nice dessert ciders. There's lots of other places that range from okay to very good depending on your tastes. Most tend to lean towards a more mainstream simple cider than Revel and West Ave in my opinion.

Craig
Seasoned Drinker

Post by Craig »

That's very true about Revel/West Ave being the ones who experiment. If you're looking for a basic cider, the options open widely.

I've always had a soft spot for Waupoos, but it was the best of not many options back in the day and I haven't had one in ages. I should try one again sometime. They have a nice iced cider too, but I think you can only get it on prem.

Craig
Seasoned Drinker

Post by Craig »

Oh look at that, you can buy online. Neato.

https://www.countycider.com/shop

S. St. Jeb
Seasoned Drinker

Post by S. St. Jeb »