Looking for the original Bar Towel blog? You can find it at www.thebartowel.com.

We have a trivia question in order to register to prevent bots. If you have any issues with answering, contact us at cass@bartowel.com for help.

Introducing Light Mode! If you would like a Bar Towel social experience that isn't the traditional blue, you can now select Light Mode. Go to the User Control Panel and then Board Preferences, and select "Day Drinking" (Light Mode) from the My Board Style drop-down menu. You can always switch back to "Night Drinking" (Dark Mode). Enjoy!

McAuslan Holiday Six

Discuss beer or anything else that comes to mind in here.

Moderators: Craig, Cass

Jon Walker
Seasoned Drinker

Post by Jon Walker »

Perhaps Cass or one of the other regular posters has already written about this but in case it's news to you...

I just spotted a holiday mix-six gift box in the Liquor Store from McAusland. While it's not that exciting (five of the bottles are St.Ambroise Stout, St.Ambroise Pale Ale and Griffon Pale Ale) the sixth bottle is Scottish Ale which, correct me if I'm wrong, hasn't been available at the LCBO.

Josh Oakes

Post by Josh Oakes »

Speakings of gift packs, I was at the secret LCBO stores that has everything but nobody knows about it and they had a lot of gift packs...the Petrus (Oud Bruin, Tripel and Special); Christoffel (Blond - get this now so you can enjoy this pilsner fresh & Robertus); Brugse Tripel and Corsendonk Agnus both in 750 format (too bad no magnums); the 2L Berliner Burgerbrau; the Kronen Export one (same as last year); the Van Steenberge pack; Creemore Springs; and my favourite - Corona! Can you believe the Corona has a glass? Why?

Lots of cool stuff. It's a good time of year. ANd that's not to speak of the Winter Release, much of which is also on the shelves.

Cass
Beer Superstar

Post by Cass »

The McAuslan Scotch Ale was released last winter as part of the same mix pack. Glad to see it back, it's a great beer.

Here are the gift sets coming out at the LCBO:

Van Steenberge mix pack - 6x330mL, $13.95
Berliner Burgerbrau big jug - 2000mL, $34.95
La Trappe pack - a blond, dubbel, tripel, quadrupel and glass - $15.95
Interbrew pack - a Leffe, Hoegaarden and Stella Artois, each with a glass - $18.95
Historic Ales of Scotland - 4x330mL, $12.95
Broughton mix pack - 4x500mL, $15.95
Petrus pack - 6x250mL and glass, $13.95
Mort Subite pack - 5x250mL and glass, $12.95
Heather ale pack - 4x330mL, $12.95
Duvel pack - 2x330mL and glass, $9.50
DAB pack - 4x500mL and glass, $11.95
McAuslan Taste Pack (2xGriffon Extra Pale Ale, 2xOatmeal Stout, 2xScotch Ale), $10.95
Inveralmond pack - 2x500mL and glass, $13.95
Corsendonk Agnus canister - 750mL, $8.50
Brugse Tripel tin - 750mL, $8.95
Christoffel pack - 2x330mL and glass, $8.95
Corona pack - 710mL, two glasses and bottle opener, $9.95

esprit
Seasoned Drinker

Post by esprit »

A word to the wise, the La Trappe, Mort Subite, Duvel and Corsendonk Gift items are not available at Queen's Quay...it seems some mental midget forgot to order any...funny how the only products not ordered were Esprit's 4 beer gift items...conspiracy? In any case, if any of you happen to pass by Queen's Quay, use the occasion to express your displeasure to store staff about why the largest volume store in the province does not have all products available.

Cass
Beer Superstar

Post by Cass »

Peter, you haven't been having much luck recently with your products getting into stores... I still haven't seen the Brugse Straffe Hendrik (and I was at Bayview today, and they had most of the Autumn release)

Speaking of Bayview, I was there today, and was quite disappointed by the McAuslan mix six. It is 2 bottles each of the Pale Ale and Extra Pale, and one each of Oatmeal Stout and Scotch Ale. Last year, the mix was 2 each of the Scotch and Oatmeal. So not only do we only get a single bottle of the rarest one (Scotch), I would have liked another Oatmeal as well. Further, the LCBO Holiday release magazine lists the mix as 2x Oatmeal & Scotch, as do the in-store info tags.

Cass
Beer Superstar

Post by Cass »

An interesting little tidbit about this year's gift sets - the LCBO has set up a website where you can order the sets and have them shipped directly to your home.

Check it out at <a href="http://www.lcbogifts.com" target="_blank">Lcbogifts.com</a>.

Vintages had previously set up an online ordering site, but products could only be shipped to a chosen store.

Perhaps this is a sign of things to come? I would have definitely preferred a load of Skullsplitters arriving at my door rather than going from store to store to find them like last week...

Publican

Post by Publican »

Peter,I agree with you about a conspiracy against Esprit imported beer not being available at Queens Quay. The reason that I believe this is both the La Trappe and Duvel gift sets are available in my local LCBO (Port Credit) and it is a very small store. While I appreciate not having to pay GO train fare to pick up beer at Queens Quay, I think it should also be available there.

esprit
Seasoned Drinker

Post by esprit »

Cass, I was at Bayview yesterday and I saw the Brugse so maybe you're not looking in the right place. Funny though, neither our Duvel or La Trappe Gift Boxes was available and, since there is no stock left in the warehouse, it would appear that Bayview won't have these either. Thank God all of them are available in Wawa!