Looking for the original Bar Towel blog? You can find it at www.thebartowel.com.

We have a trivia question in order to register to prevent bots. If you have any issues with answering, contact us at cass@bartowel.com for help.

Introducing Light Mode! If you would like a Bar Towel social experience that isn't the traditional blue, you can now select Light Mode. Go to the User Control Panel and then Board Preferences, and select "Day Drinking" (Light Mode) from the My Board Style drop-down menu. You can always switch back to "Night Drinking" (Dark Mode). Enjoy!

Orval/McAuslan

Discuss beer or anything else that comes to mind in here.

Moderators: Craig, Cass

joey_capps
Bar Fly

Post by joey_capps »

Has anybody come across these beers at an LCBO yet? If so, which ones? I've been to all the stores in the Hamilton/Burlington area, and I've not seen them. Do I have to trek to downtown Toronto?

Publican

Post by Publican »

I guess that you will have to travel to Toronto to purchase these two beers. You won't have to travel all over Toronto as I found Both orval and the McAuslan taste pack at the Queens Quay LCBO. You will find Orval in the main beer section and the McAuslan taste pack in a room with the rest of the gift packs

<font size=-1>[ This Message was edited by: Publican on 2001-12-02 18:59 ]</font>

Josh Oakes

Post by Josh Oakes »

I haven't found Orval yet, but McAuslan I have seen around. I probably don't have to remind anyone familiar with Hamilton, but just to be safe I'll mention that Dundurn is the store to go to. If they don't have it, it's T.O. time.

Cass
Beer Superstar

Post by Cass »

I have found the McAuslan Taste Pack, but not the Vintage Ale or Orval yet. Hopefully these will show up soon.

joey_capps
Bar Fly

Post by joey_capps »

Thanks for the replies everyone. I too have seen the taste packs. I was refering to the Vintage Ale. Sorry for any confusion.

On a related note. Is the Vintage Ale a 2000 or 2001 release? I found the 1999, Milliniem (sp?) release a few months back. Should I expect more of the same?

Josh Oakes

Post by Josh Oakes »

That's a good question. I thought the 1999 was a one-off product, so I'm surprised to see it back. I suppose this year's would bear the year 2000 on the label since last year's read 1999, but whether it's the same beer or not I haven't heard. Because it's a beer best cellared, I'd like to see the same recipe so I can gather up a nice vertical collection.

esprit
Seasoned Drinker

Post by esprit »

We've had all sorts of problems with the release of Orval but it is being released this week and we should be seeing it in most Toronto-area stores by early next week. With the Ontario government's new mark-up policy on ultra-premium beers kicking in, the new retail will be $2.95!!!! There are few places in the world you would be able to pick up a bottle of Orval for that price. I don't know what it sells for in States (I'd be curious to know) but I can only guess that it's dramatically higher. I would recommend that those of you who are into Orval stock up as we're not likely to see it back in the LCBO for well over a year.

esprit
Seasoned Drinker

Post by esprit »

I should have added that LCBO stores outside Toronto should be seeing Orval by late next week.

Manul

Post by Manul »

I stopped by Bayview LCBO to get a case of Orval. Guess what... 7 bottles in stock. Come on guys, one of the biggest LCBO stores in Toronto ordered one case of Orval since they probably figured it's not going to be a hot selling item. Who heard of Orval anyway? And by the way, they told me they wouldn't order more either. LCBO kinda sucks man.

esprit
Seasoned Drinker

Post by esprit »

Dear Manul, the next time you run into that kind of situation, get the person's name and let me know. LCBO stores are obligated to order any available for product if a customer requests it. If anyone ever refuses to do so, speak to the Store Manager. If he refuses and it's one of my products, let me know as I'll get someone from H.O. to tear him a new asshole. That sort of "customer service" is unacceptable and H.O. wants to know about any stores that are not co-operative. You have every right to approach any LCBO store and ask them to order an available item for you. If you're in Richmond Hill and want some Orval, go to your closest store and ask them to order a case of Orval for you (CSPC #439992, there should be plenty available). They have to do it. If they refuse, tell them you'll call their District Manager and that you'll ask him to do it for you...that'll get their asses moving!!!

Manul

Post by Manul »

Thanks for the help.

Manul

Post by Manul »

The guys from Richmond Hill were much more helpful. They placed an order right away. It looks like it usually takes up to 10 days to get special orders which is not too bad.

<font size=-1>[ This Message was edited by: Manul on 2001-12-06 14:25 ]</font>

esprit
Seasoned Drinker

Post by esprit »

Manul, actually, 10 days sounds like a lot to me but perhaps not at this time of year. Most stores receive one or two deliveries from the warehouse per week so in some stores they can actually get in product in less than 7 days. I'm not sure about Richmond Hill though as my experience is mostly with Toronto stores. Let me know if there is any problem getting whatever quantity you ordered.

Manul

Post by Manul »

Peter,
Since we are at this subject maybe you can tell me where I can get some Orval glasses in Toronto.

joey_capps
Bar Fly

Post by joey_capps »

I don't know where you can get the Orval glasses in Ontario, but they are available online. I recently ordered one from globalbeer.com. Their prices were reasonable, but US funds and shipping adds to the expense. The selection, though, is great.

A beer/brewery merchandise store in the Toronto area would be nice. (If there is one, I've not come accross it). Even the breweries haven't had much good stuff lately. I've been trying to get a Wellington County pint glass since Semptember, to no avail. I've been to the brewery several times (went today actually) but no luck, and no info other than they should be here soon. Even Brick is lacking in the glassware department. (To be fair, they did have a nice little 4 glass set). T-shirts and ballcaps seem to be the product of choice.

Cheers, Joe.