Looking for the original Bar Towel blog? You can find it at www.thebartowel.com.

We have a trivia question in order to register to prevent bots. If you have any issues with answering, contact us at cass@bartowel.com for help.

Introducing Light Mode! If you would like a Bar Towel social experience that isn't the traditional blue, you can now select Light Mode. Go to the User Control Panel and then Board Preferences, and select "Day Drinking" (Light Mode) from the My Board Style drop-down menu. You can always switch back to "Night Drinking" (Dark Mode). Enjoy!

LCBO Autumn Release!

Discuss beer or anything else that comes to mind in here.

Moderators: Craig, Cass

Wheatsheaf

LCBO Autumn Release!

Post by Wheatsheaf »

I just got an e-mail from the Infoline. Starting around the end of August we will be drinking:

Rogue Chocolate Stout (926188)
Fuller's 1845 (504670)
Monty Python Holy Grail (894048)
Old Growler (532275)
Deuchars IPA (697649)
Belhaven Wee Heavy (698977)
Adnams Suffolk Strong (698035)
Spitfire Premium Ale (32029)
Affligem Blond (676015)
Rodenbach Grand Cru (435891)
Orval Trappist Ale (439992) (MOVED TO WINTER RELEASE DUE TO A DELAY)
Last edited by Wheatsheaf on Tue Aug 03, 2004 1:08 pm, edited 2 times in total.

mds

Post by mds »

This looks like a pretty good lineup!
I'm especially looking forward to the Rodenbach.

Cask

Post by Cask »

A fantastic release -- what it lacks in adventure it more than makes up for in quality. Would have preferred to see them bring back Bishop's Finger rather than the Spitfire (which to my mind suffers quite a bit in its bottled version), but on the whole, this is as good a selection as we've had in yonks. Bring on the Rodenbach!

Andicus
Bar Fly

Post by Andicus »

Sounds like a pretty good release. I look forward to it!

GregClow
Beer Superstar

Post by GregClow »

That's a nice looking list. Around half of them are new to me, and I've enjoyed most of the others when I had them in the past. A bit heavy on the UK ales as usual, but at least they're mostly good ones. Looking forward to August!

JerCraigs
Beer Superstar

Post by JerCraigs »

Bloody hell! I think I have only had 4 out of the 11 before, and one of those is Orval! Nice release.

Jon Walker
Seasoned Drinker

Post by Jon Walker »

Many of them have been here before. I'm fairly certain that Deuchars IPA, Spitfire, Old Growler, Adnams Strong, Holy Grail, 1845 and the Rogue Stout were in last years release (or perhaps I'm remembering the year before?). For me only the Affligem and Rodenbach are unfamiliar here in T.O. (to me anyway) so I'm certainly looking forward to having them. I don't remember the Holy Grail, Spitfire, Deuchars or Adnams being anything mind blowing...so to my mind this is a pretty safe and unimaginative selection.

GregClow
Beer Superstar

Post by GregClow »

Jon Walker wrote:Many of them have been here before. I'm fairly certain that Deuchars IPA, Spitfire, Old Growler, Adnams Strong, Holy Grail, 1845 and the Rogue Stout were in last years release (or perhaps I'm remembering the year before?).
I don't think the 1845 has been here in the last few years, if ever. But you're correct that all of the others have been here in one release or another in the last year or two.

I quite liked the Rogue and Adnams on their previous visits, and I'm looking forward to trying the Old Growler again now that I've gained more appreciation of old style porters.

A
Bar Fly

Post by A »

Yay, Grand Cru! I should be just about done drinking my current stock from Winnipeg by that time :)

Wheatsheaf

Post by Wheatsheaf »

Jon Walker wrote:...so to my mind this is a pretty safe and unimaginative selection.
Neither Fuller's 1845 nor Belhaven Wee Heavy have ever been released in Ontario, to the best of my knowledge. Affligem probably belongs in that category, too, but I'm not sure. It's a definite first for Rodenbach Grand Cru. The last time that we saw Old Growler was back in January 2002.

If the LCBO decides to offer me two of the finest beers in the world (Orval and Rodenbach GC), for ridiculously low prices (south of three bucks a bottle in all likelihood), I'm not going to complain one bit. Sure there's some pretty boring stuff in the release, but for every Deuchars, Holy (Gr)ail, and Spitfire there's a bottle-conditioned 1845, a Chocolate Stout, and a Wee Heavy. Beyond that, Adnams SSB is really nice, it'll be interesting to try Old Growler again, and Affligem Blond, well, it's probably only marginally better than Leffe, but who knows? That's a strong release in my book.

esprit
Seasoned Drinker

Post by esprit »

Orval is going to run you $3.25...I've just done a quick check on U.S. prices and the range is about USD4.99-5.99, at the very least, double the Ontario price...they've bought a good chunk of Orval so we're counting on everyone to show the LCBO that there's a market for this stuff so get to the bank, arrange that mortgage, and then get out there and buy!

borderline_alcoholic

Post by borderline_alcoholic »

I expect to get through a fair amount of the Orval.

Just one thing Peter, ISTR that you wrote when the Adnams SSB was released before that you were putting the Broadside forward for the LCBO's consideration for the Autumn 2004 release. Did they decline in favour of more SSB or is the above list incorrect?

In general this release looks good, though still very light on Belgian beers. I wonder why...
Last edited by borderline_alcoholic on Thu Jul 15, 2004 11:20 pm, edited 1 time in total.

Ardon

Post by Ardon »

Seems like another REALLY boring UK crap laden release full of almost the exact same stuff as that time last year. Who the hell comes up with these releases anyway? The only thing that would make it worse is if they added a few more boring eastern european lagers that they seem so hell bent on flooding the Ontario market with. They all taste exactly the same.

For me the only good things from this release is the return of Deuchar's which in my opinion is quite a tasty IPA, and the Belgians (Orval, Rodenbach and Affligem).

One other thing I've noticed is that Chimay Blue, and Kasteel Donker have both appeared on their website, though which stores and quantity are not yet there.

Ardon

Post by Ardon »

Also just noticed on the website:

Dogfish Head's Raison D'etre
St. Peter's Winter Ale

borderline_alcoholic

Post by borderline_alcoholic »

Chimay Blue and St Pete's Winter are welcome additions to me. Is Chimay Blue merely Seasonal or are things looking up?