Looking for the original Bar Towel blog? You can find it at www.thebartowel.com.

We have a trivia question in order to register to prevent bots. If you have any issues with answering, contact us at cass@bartowel.com for help.

Introducing Light Mode! If you would like a Bar Towel social experience that isn't the traditional blue, you can now select Light Mode. Go to the User Control Panel and then Board Preferences, and select "Day Drinking" (Light Mode) from the My Board Style drop-down menu. You can always switch back to "Night Drinking" (Dark Mode). Enjoy!

What Is The Bartowel?

Discuss beer or anything else that comes to mind in here.

Moderators: Craig, Cass

JerCraigs
Beer Superstar

What Is The Bartowel?

Post by JerCraigs »

Apologies in advance if this seems stupid or sanctimonious.

Recent threads both here and in the no holds barred political threads at Ratebeer have got me thinking about why people are here. This is Toronto's Premier Beer Resource, not the "toss a verbal hand grenade at people over the internet" arena.

A month or two ago, an old friend of mine came across a posting of mine here criticizing a bar and they sent me a message not terribly impressed by it. It wasn't anything bad really, and I stand by most things I say online. I try to be generally positive even when I am being critical of someone/place/beer. It did make me realize one of the consequences of having such an easily identifiable username.

Its easy to engage in criticism or speculation online, and it is easy for things to get heated (especially since in some cases peoples careers and livelihoods are involved). I imagine there are new users who come here ecstatic at finding a local beer community but leave after reading a few of the less rational threads.

I guess my point here is that it would be nice if things remained positive more often. If you offer criticism try to make it thought out. A little respect for each other, and giving things a little thought and consideration before posting can go a long way.

Anyways, who knows maybe I am a big hypocrite. This concludes this rambling spiel.

Immotius

Post by Immotius »

You're an idiot! :wink:

(Sorry, I couldn't resist)