Looking for the original Bar Towel blog? You can find it at www.thebartowel.com.

We have a trivia question in order to register to prevent bots. If you have any issues with answering, contact us at cass@bartowel.com for help.

Introducing Light Mode! If you would like a Bar Towel social experience that isn't the traditional blue, you can now select Light Mode. Go to the User Control Panel and then Board Preferences, and select "Day Drinking" (Light Mode) from the My Board Style drop-down menu. You can always switch back to "Night Drinking" (Dark Mode). Enjoy!

Private Ordering

Discuss beer or anything else that comes to mind in here.

Moderators: Craig, Cass

shintriad
Bar Fly

Post by shintriad »

I've always had my order rejected no matter what I tried.

Why go through all that trouble for Schultheiss Berliner Weisse, of all things? I found it very mediocre. But hey, one man's rhubarb is another man's broccoli, and so on.

tupalev
Seasoned Drinker

Post by tupalev »

A wrote:BTW my girlfriend just brought me back a bottle of Bear Hop Rod Rye from Chicago on the weekend. I'll let you know if its worth ordering :)
I enjoyed it at the Buffalo Brewfest last month - interested to hear how it fares from the bottle.

Wheatsheaf

Post by Wheatsheaf »

shintriad wrote:Why go through all that trouble for Schultheiss Berliner Weisse, of all things? I found it very mediocre. But hey, one man's rhubarb is another man's broccoli, and so on.
Because, when at its best, Schultheiss Berliner Weisse is mind-bogglingly good. And filling in an online form and sending some e-mails is not what I would call going to a lot of trouble. And I happen to like broccoli. :wink:

Kid Presentable

Post by Kid Presentable »

Wheatsheaf wrote:Just an update on a couple of beers that I've asked about...

Schultheiss Berliner Weisse: The LCBO didn't receive any reply to their queries, so I sent them some additional contact information. I'm still waiting for a concrete yes or no, but I doubt it's going to go any further.

Hair of the Dog Adam: It's available, but the minimum order is 40 cases. (It's almost hard to believe that HotD Fred was actually available at the LCBO once--in 1998, if I'm not mistaken.)

Schlenkerla UrBock and Weizen: I contacted the agent, H.H.D. Imports, and eventually got a polite reply saying that they could offer both. And for a good price, too (around $70 per case of 20, or $3.50 per bottle). One problem: a minimum order of five cases per product. I sent a reply back, basically saying that five cases was too much for me to order on my own, but that there is probably sufficient interest out there to justify a bigger order provided that the minimum could be dropped to one case. I haven't heard back yet, so I don't know if that's a possibility or not. I might follow-up on this in the future, and anyone else who's interested should feel free to do the same (the relevant contact info is on their website).
if there's enoguh interest, I'll take a case of the smoked weizen

kp

Beer Snob

Post by Beer Snob »

Regarding Tree Hop Head. I was just quoted a minimum order of a single case at $148per case with $70 freight!!! Thats $78 for 24 341ml bottles. Increasing the order just reduced the freight cost to about $25 per case but the price stayed the same! $78 a case, what the hell is that about?
I can see from previus posts that the pricing of this beer by the LCBO is somewhat inconsistent!! I just want the beer but at $78 a case plus shipping........?!!

A
Bar Fly

Post by A »

$3 a bottle aint that bad. Lots of standard-sized beers in the LCBO that are $3 a pop.

Beer Snob

Post by Beer Snob »

I have just been talking to a helpful LCBO employee who could explain the high cost of Hop Head versus Sierra Nevada. Sierra Nevada quoted a unit price (24x341ml) at $15 US, Hop Head at $44.40 Can. This figure is marked up by the LCBO by 60%. Freight cost for Sierra Nevada is $9 Can versus minimum $20-25 Can per case (for an order of 10 cases) of Hop Head. The freight cost from California for the Sierra Nevada is lower as all orders are 'consolidated' due to the volume of product being shipped from California to Ontario being significantly larger than from BC. Product from Tree Brewery may be consolidated with other BC products, but this is not garaunteed (sp). Freight costs aside, Tree Brewery are charging almost double the unit price quoted by Sierra Nevada! Best price for Hop Head is about $100 a case including freight, taxes etc., about $4.16+ a 341ml bottle! Hop Head may be a damn good beer but at that price I would do far better to scoot down to a 'beverage center' in Buffalo and stock up on US goodies, Dog Fish Head 60 minute IPA, Southern Teir IPA, Victory Hop Devil to name a few.

A
Bar Fly

Post by A »

Wow... $15 for a case of SNCA. Even after markup and currency conversion, thats only $28 Can, or $4 more than a case of Lucky Lager :)

Beer Snob

Post by Beer Snob »

Remember, that's $15US +60% mark up- convert to Canadian and add shipping and you arrive at what we paid last spring for a 24x341ml bottles of Sierra Nevada of @$47 Can. Still not bad.

A
Bar Fly

Post by A »

15*1.6 = 24 * 1.24(Great Cdn Dollar) = $29.75 + $9 shipping should be $38, not $47. You cant even buy 24 Mill St. Pale for that price.

The only downside is waiting 9 months :) Actually, I'm not sure if SNCA keeps all that great, it might be a little off 9 months later....

Beer Geek

Post by Beer Geek »

Where are you guys ordering from? I can’t find a link for the LCBO’s private ordering form. Are you just emailing them directly?

A
Bar Fly

Post by A »

Beer Geek

Post by Beer Geek »

I just received a response from the LCBO regarding private ordering. Yes, it was sent to me by snail mail! Kind of cool to get real hand delivered mail.

The Sierra Nevada Pale Ale came in at $54.30 per case, including freight and taxes. This is based on a 1 case minimum, I’m not sure if it’s cheaper if you order more.

The SN Celebration Ale came in at $56.65 per case.

Although I asked for the price of the Porter, they gave me a price of $62.15 for the Bigfoot Barleywine.

All orders require a 25% deposit.

I also asked for a price on the Anchor Porter thinking that this would be easy to get and much quicker since the LCBO regularly orders from Anchor Brewing. Unfortunately, the response was this beer was not available for export.

northyorksammy
Seasoned Drinker

Post by northyorksammy »

There are a number of beers hard to get in the Northeast that I would be part of a group to chip in for: Alesmith, Pizza Port, Bear Creek, Fish Tale, Midnight Sun (ALaska), New Glarus

I also think if you e-mail the LCBO a week later and get a different service rep, you get a different answer.
PS why does it have to be a case of the same exact beer. Why can't we get a Southampton variety pack?

dhurtubise

Post by dhurtubise »

That price is a steal for the barleywine.