Looking for the original Bar Towel blog? You can find it at www.thebartowel.com.

We have a trivia question in order to register to prevent bots. If you have any issues with answering, contact us at cass@bartowel.com for help.

Introducing Light Mode! If you would like a Bar Towel social experience that isn't the traditional blue, you can now select Light Mode. Go to the User Control Panel and then Board Preferences, and select "Day Drinking" (Light Mode) from the My Board Style drop-down menu. You can always switch back to "Night Drinking" (Dark Mode). Enjoy!

I am a newbie

Discuss beer or anything else that comes to mind in here.

Moderators: Craig, Cass

Torontoblue
Beer Superstar

I am a newbie

Post by Torontoblue »

Hey Guys, been reading this forum since I arrived in Toronto in August, it has helped me a whole load, not in the least to locate some decent bars and beers, but I was wondering if there is an easy way to import/buy UK beers and not to rely on the 'nazi state' LCBO? Are there any companies that would help or do the importing of beers on my behalf?

Thanks in advance.

Beer Geek

Post by Beer Geek »

Welcome to the site Torontoblue. If you contact Esprit or Rubaiyat (both participate on the site) I’m sure they can help you out. Don’t forget that the LCBO can help you in ordering beer also. There may be some hoops to jump, but if this is your last hope if you check out http://www.lcbo.com/programs_services/p ... ring.shtml e. they can help.

Cheers,

Jay

JerCraigs
Beer Superstar

Post by JerCraigs »

And don't forget to post / offer to share if you get something interesting ;)
It's not usually hard to find takers to lighten the load of a case.

esprit
Seasoned Drinker

Post by esprit »

Torontoblue, drop me an e-mail at esprit@primus.ca and I'll put you on our mailing list. We periodically do special orders of beers from the UK, U.S. and Belgium and we can contact you in regards to these. Next up will be an offer from Samuel Smith. We also represent Adnams, Hook Norton, St. Peter's, O'Hanlon's and a number of others from the U.K..

Publican

Post by Publican »

Toronto Blue, I noticed that you had a Cain's logo on your post. Are you from Liverpool and because you choose the name Toronto Blue are you a Everton FC supporter? I was in Liverpool in October of 2000 and enjoyed a few pints of Cain's bitter and mild at Doctor Duncan's pub.

If you'd like to drink cask ale in Toronto the best place to serve it is Cafe Volo at Yonge and Dundonald although it's only served on the weekend and if the firkin is not finished by Monday the owner Ralph discounts it to $4 a pint. The real ale is from a few Ontario micros Black Oak, Scotch Irish and Neustadt. If you want British real ale on this side of the Atlantic the Old Toad in Rochester NY has it from time to time. Hopefully the Breeze ferry starts up again!

I wish some of the beer importers could bring in some British real ale to Ontario.

Cheers
Publican

Torontoblue
Beer Superstar

Post by Torontoblue »

[quote="Publican"]Toronto Blue, I noticed that you had a Cain's logo on your post. Are you from Liverpool and because you choose the name Toronto Blue are you a Everton FC supporter? I was in Liverpool in October of 2000 and enjoyed a few pints of Cain's bitter and mild at Doctor Duncan's pub.

I am indeed an Evertonian, but come from across the River Mersey from The Wirral. Cain's is an absolutly wonderful brew and it is a shame it can't be had in cask/bottle/can form over here. Dr Duncan's is a great bar as is the Dispensary and the beer is always on top form! I have visited the Volo a few times, had the wonderful Black Oak Nutcracker last week, my "local' is the Beer Bistro who have a wondeful selection. I have heard about the $4 pint and will be paying a visit tomorrow afternoon, just on the off chance.

Publican

Post by Publican »

I will also be at Volo tomorrow afternoon with a few friends for a post Christmas drinking session. I'll be there starting at 4:30. When it comes to football I support the team at the other end of Stanley Park. Congrats on the derby win, we'll have to take the one at Anfield! Hope to see you there.
Cheers!
Publican (Scott)