Looking for the original Bar Towel blog? You can find it at www.thebartowel.com.

We have a trivia question in order to register to prevent bots. If you have any issues with answering, contact us at cass@bartowel.com for help.

Introducing Light Mode! If you would like a Bar Towel social experience that isn't the traditional blue, you can now select Light Mode. Go to the User Control Panel and then Board Preferences, and select "Day Drinking" (Light Mode) from the My Board Style drop-down menu. You can always switch back to "Night Drinking" (Dark Mode). Enjoy!

Spring Release???

Discuss beer or anything else that comes to mind in here.

Moderators: Craig, Cass

esprit
Seasoned Drinker

Post by esprit »

Saison Dupont will be in the summer release along with Belgian Peches from Brasserie Lefebvre and Rogue Half-E-Weizen.

Belgian
Bar Towel Legend

Post by Belgian »

Just when you thought you had to buy all your Belgian beer at Christmas!

Nice.
In Beerum Veritas

scott

Post by scott »

That release is (with all due respect to the five beers included, which are undoubtedly fine products) pitiful! Just five beers? Nothing from the entirety of Great Britain? USA? Germany? Recent releases left me feeling some grudging admiration for the bureaucratic monopoly, but they've dropped the ball on this one.

Publican

Post by Publican »

If this is the entire Spring release I find it very poor. Why only Belgian beers? While I'm sure these beers are quality beers they are not to my taste. I guess I'll drink Ontario micro beers like Black Oak Pale Ale and English imports like St. Peter's English Ale. There better be English ales in the summer release :evil:

pootz
Beer Superstar

Post by pootz »

I had heard that Saison Dupont was coming, but apparently it isn't--so ignore my earlier post
:(
Saison Dupont will be in the summer release along with Belgian Peches from Brasserie Lefebvre and Rogue Half-E-Weizen.
:D

God bless ye me lad....Half -E-Weizen is a crowning touch to summer imbibition ...we are pleased...we are very pleased...wonderful choice...I want to see how this US Hefe differs in character with the German hefes.
That release is (with all due respect to the five beers included, which are undoubtedly fine products) pitiful! Just five beers? Nothing from the entirety of Great Britain? USA? Germany? Recent releases left me feeling some grudging admiration for the bureaucratic monopoly, but they've dropped the ball on this one.
Although I can back you in your contempt for the state beer monopoly, let's not lose sight of the efforts and risks importers have put forth in bringing in a seasonal rotation of fine beers....they deserve our applause and support......I just wish they were free to set up private stores for the products they want to import that the LCBO won't take on. In that senario there is really no competition.

Great show guys thanks for your efforts under the current liquore control regime. I agree with the other poster the new arrivals just keep getting better even if it is limited.
Aventinus rules!

esprit
Seasoned Drinker

Post by esprit »

FYI, although the name would imply that Rogue Half-E-Weizen was German in style, it is in fact a Belgian style wheat beer made with coriander and ginger, wheat and Northwest Harrington malts and Saaz hops...the Rogue guys are goofing on us but it's a great beer nonetheless

Andicus
Bar Fly

Post by Andicus »

Yes, definitely not a German style wheat beer, but it is very good!

Peter, mine came in on Friday. :D

mustang3

Post by mustang3 »

Although I'm hammered right now I have to voice my opinion on this release. Congrats to Esprit and Rubaiyat for getting these great beers into the release, but the surely the LCBO is joking. After such a great winter release all we get is 5 or 6 beers. I'm not knocking the quality, although some girardin geuze would be nice, but the quantitty is terrible.

JerCraigs
Beer Superstar

Post by JerCraigs »

In the past the list has been added to later, perhaps that will happen this time? Besides frequently the real interesting beers are the ones that piggy back these orders and end up at the local beer bars on consignment.

Rubaiyat had an inrtiguing display at the Gourmet Food and wine show teasing Doug and I with stuff we couldnt actually drink (yet!), and I believe Esprit has down this sort of thing before (ie. Rogue orders)

pootz
Beer Superstar

Post by pootz »

esprit wrote:FYI, although the name would imply that Rogue Half-E-Weizen was German in style, it is in fact a Belgian style wheat beer made with coriander and ginger, wheat and Northwest Harrington malts and Saaz hops...the Rogue guys are goofing on us but it's a great beer nonetheless
Sounds like a mutant German heffe crossed with a Belgian wit?

Still sounds tart dry spicy and refreshing
Aventinus rules!

dhurtubise

Post by dhurtubise »

By the ratings of ratebeer, it definitely sounds like a wit and a wonderful one at that. I found this rating very interesting. It comes from one of the highest raters on the site:

"June, 2003: Wow! The first Rogue to blow my socks off. A swirling dizzying Arabian dance of pefumes - pour a glass of this and you don’t need scented candles to create a seductive atmosphere. Soft, but firm mouthfeel with plenty of corners and edges to provide the thrills of a Monaco Grand Prix. This is one awesome brew out of the top drawer. There are fruits, there are waves of gentle sweetness that engulf the mouth but never swamp it, there are moments of warmth, and there are moments of meditation. And the finish dries out to a long, long, ever changing and developing bitterness. Yummy! I’m going back for more! "

I love wits. I'm looking forward to this one.

Cass
Beer Superstar

Post by Cass »

I know it's already been posted, but here's the spring release from the LCBO today:

1. La Choulette Blonde 330 ml
2. St. Louis Gueuze Lambic 375 ml
3. Mort Subite Gueuze Lambic 375 ml
4. J Biere de Garde Blonde au Gingembre 330 ml
5. Trafalgar Bock 650 ml

Now from the previous post Goudenband isn't here and replaced with Trafalgar bock.

This release launches April 6th.

The full summer list should be confirmed by the end of the month.

Lubiere

Post by Lubiere »

Cass.

They are not on the LCBO website yet. Are they out in TO?

Luc

northyorksammy
Seasoned Drinker

Post by northyorksammy »

nothing there too exciting

pootz
Beer Superstar

Post by pootz »

Andicus wrote:Yes, definitely not a German style wheat beer, but it is very good!

Peter, mine came in on Friday. :D
I assume then the haze is unmalted wheat and not weissbier type yeasts? Is there any banana or clove in the aroma or flavor?...or is it a fuller, spicey version of Hogaarden?
Aventinus rules!