Looking for the original Bar Towel blog? You can find it at www.thebartowel.com.

We have a trivia question in order to register to prevent bots. If you have any issues with answering, contact us at cass@bartowel.com for help.

Introducing Light Mode! If you would like a Bar Towel social experience that isn't the traditional blue, you can now select Light Mode. Go to the User Control Panel and then Board Preferences, and select "Day Drinking" (Light Mode) from the My Board Style drop-down menu. You can always switch back to "Night Drinking" (Dark Mode). Enjoy!

The Beer Drinking Mentality

Discuss beer or anything else that comes to mind in here.

Moderators: Craig, Cass

Rob Creighton
Bar Fly

The Beer Drinking Mentality

Post by Rob Creighton »

It is interesting to see that Corona has set a new record for sales in the US because I am encountering it and MDG in every bar I call on recently.
The average Canadian bar customer is chosing more interesting flavours and variety than ever before (as evidenced by the sheer number of taps in small pubs and large) but your basic mainstream bottle baby is swinging over from Bud/Ex/Blue to the ultimate in image/non-flavour.

Strangely, this seems to make sense to me.

Belgian
Bar Towel Legend

Post by Belgian »

Rob Creighton wrote:It is interesting to see that Corona has set a new record for sales in the US ... your basic mainstream bottle baby is swinging over from Bud/Ex/Blue to the ultimate in image/non-flavour.

Strangely, this seems to make sense to me.
It does make sense - people are voting with their taste, ie. now there's "with" and "without."
In Beerum Veritas

Jon Walker
Seasoned Drinker

Post by Jon Walker »

I think it's a much more straight forward marketing driven switch. Corona is widely percieved as a "summer beer" or a "vacation beer". As such it's not surprising that during the winter months the average joe drinker is choosing it in bars and clubs. That dividend also pays off in the summer when patio drinkers choose Corona for the "clean and uncomplicated taste". I don't agree with any of this hooey but lots of average beer drinkers beg to differ. There's also been a massive marketing campaign done for Corona recently with T.V. ads and billboards furthering the message that Corona = beachfront getaway. Let's face it, whether we think the beer in the bottle is crap they have a smart and attractive design and a really helpful marketing ploy.

Sort of reminds me of the mindless bimbo campaign Marca Bavaria did recently...sexy Brazilian models cavorting on beaches with next to nothing on...kind of made me forget how bland the beer tastes.

Rob Creighton
Bar Fly

Post by Rob Creighton »

"Sort of reminds me of the mindless bimbo campaign Marca Bavaria did recently...sexy Brazilian models cavorting on beaches with next to nothing on...kind of made me forget how bland the beer tastes."

That's nothing. Wait 'til we see what is in store from Labatt's new handlers (Inbev SA) this summer. As part of the merger deal, Ambev not only got the Labatt NA interests but also a comittment to make their #1 brand (Brahma) a worldwide brand. The initial payment to an American ad firm was $20 mil just to get the hype rolling.

We should have a pool as to whether they use full frontal nudity or not. You could have a peelaway label or a temperature sensitive label that gets all nipply when refrigerated. Beats a Stanley cup in the case. :lol: